Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a recommendation for a tire with some specific requirements

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 06:10 PM
williaty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

One of my friends has a recumbent trike that that takes 20" tires (406) front and a 26" tire (559) rear. Ideally, she'd like to run a 55 (2.125") wide tire. This is a commuter/car replacement trike for her 4 seasons a year and a loaded touring trike when the weather is good. It's all on pavement or crushed gravel MUPs, so no need for any tread, really. The big sticking point is that she has some medical issues with her hands and has trouble mounting tires, which means trouble repairing flats on her own. I've worked with her and she's doing everything right. The other mechanics I work with also think she's doing everything right. She just physically can't mount the tires she currently has because of her medical issues. She currently has a mix of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme and Racer tires on the trike, which are about as horrible to mount as it's possible to get. The cheap no-brand tires on her utility trailer she can mount on her own no problem, so it really does come down to a tire fitment/stiffness/stretch issue and the Marathons are notoriously bad for that.

So what's available in the sizes she needs (406 and 559, preferably 55 wide but anything >45 would work if she had to), with minimal to no tread, and typically is very easy to install?
Old 12-17-23, 06:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
I have no specific advice, but what you already know may point you in the right direction.

Forget about so-called premium tires and check among generic tires of the right size.

Then test mount to make sure they're suitable to her needs.

If you have a relationship with a bike shop, they might work with you to test before buying.

FWIW I have no hand strength issues, but do ride far from home. IMO field serviceability is the number one consideration for all things bike.
Old 12-17-23, 06:40 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
One thing that instantly comes to my mind is to make sure that the rims are not tubeless ready. Tubeless rims have a shallow center channel so that the tire bead has the smallest gap possible.

If you can find non-tubeless rims and use tubeless rim tape (instead of something thick like Velox), it will likely make mounting tires easier.

i have an older set of wheels with Velocity A23s and a new version of the same rim that is tubeless ready, and the difference mounting tires is night and day.
Old 12-17-23, 06:51 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
The folding bead versions of the Maxxis DTH are relatively easy to mount, and are available in 20" and 26". They are fairly lightweight and supple, and do have a bit of puncture protection. The average no-name tire is still easier to mount than the DTH, but not by that much.

For getting the last bit of the tire installed, the Kool Stop Bead Jack is an incredible tool. I also have some issues with my hands, and with a bead jack I can install pretty much any tire that isn't over 2.5" wide.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 12-19-23, 10:41 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
the Kool Stop Bead Jack is an incredible tool.
I think the use of tools like this is more practical than trying to sort through tires that mount more easily.
Old 12-19-23, 01:03 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
two ways of looking at this

1. Finding a tire that is easy to mount
2. Finding a tire that is least likely to go flat so you don't have to mount it.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 12-19-23, 03:35 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
two ways of looking at this

1. Finding a tire that is easy to mount
2. Finding a tire that is least likely to go flat so you don't have to mount it.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I'm inclined to the later and pick up a tool to aid with the work.
Old 12-19-23, 04:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
2 points.

There's no reliable correlation between tire quality and risk of flats. To be clear, I'm not arguing against tires specifically made for puncture resistance.

Flats happen, so one is smart to be ready to deal with them. Mounting tight tires with a tool, doesn't change that these same tires can be difficult to remove.

One approach that may work, especially if most flats are small punctures like from thorns, is liquid sealant. Either installed as a preventative, or the aerosol type pumped in as a remedy.

Otherwise, count me among those advising focusing on ease of mounting as the primary consideration.

BTW one thing that does matter is tread rubber hardness. Harder or b denser tread rubber is much more puncture resistant. Tread hardness varies among brands, and can be roughly gauged with a thumbnail test. Also, rubber hardens with age. BITD tubular riders aged tires for up to a year before mounting. (yes many consider this a myth, but it has and does serve me well).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-19-23, 04:30 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I found that Bead Jack tool (or a generic copy) less easy to mount tyres than the tyreglider which imho is a piece of genius design.
Old 12-23-23, 07:20 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrowana
The folding bead versions of the Maxxis DTH are relatively easy to mount, and are available in 20" and 26". They are fairly lightweight and supple, and do have a bit of puncture protection. The average no-name tire is still easier to mount than the DTH, but not by that much.
I replaced the Marathon (can't remember which one) on the front of my 2 wheeler with a Maxxis Torch, which IIRC was easy to fit and feels more supple and grippier, but I've not put many miles on it, still not confident with the tiller steering. The trike still has its original Kenda K-Rad covers and I've not had to change them so no idea what they're like for fit. I should probably check, so I know whether to carry tyre levers with the spare tubes.
Old 12-26-23, 04:20 PM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Sorry, I have not had problems mounting the Schwalbe Marathons. Some continentals can be annoying though.

Mount those tires with Tannus liners. That should give you an almost impervious tire.

Another trick is Gup. Its a tire sealer for after a puncture. It will fill and seal a tire so she can get back and have you handle the puncture.

-SP