Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

1996 Deore LX SL-M569 better or worse than a modern Altus SL-M315?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-24, 07:37 AM
Old_Hat

Bikes: '95 Rockhopper slowly being resto-modded, British made Proteus road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi I'm looking to move away from gripfting to trigger shifters (or maybe thumbies but thats not what this is about)
my 1995 Rockhopper is 3 x 7 speeds - shimano
Is a 1996 Deore LX SL-M569 (8-speeds) going to work better or worse than a modern Altus SL-M315 (might also get 8-speeds so I can update later)? Id run it with a ghost gear at one end of the range.
Thanks
Oliver
Old 05-14-24, 04:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked 4,167 Times in 2,788 Posts
Deore LX is now SLX which is the third tier from the top. Altus is second tier from the bottom. In the end I would just get the LX shifter and an 8 speed cassette and no need for a ghost gear and better gearing or go for an Alivio 9 speed shifter (or better yet thumbies) and 9 speed cassette and then you will be even better.
Old 05-14-24, 04:53 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 71 Posts
Either way, the reason the shifter would give you trouble would usually be the lubrication drying up and adding resistance. The Altus shifter comes freshly lubricated, the LX comes with 28 year old grease. Shifters can be cleaned out and re-lubricated though. Aside from lubrication, the LX has more metal in its construction, making it more impact resistant. Both shifters will feel quite similar when using them.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 05-15-24, 09:21 AM
Old_Hat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks - unfortunately I cant aford to replace the wheel/ hub and it wont accept an 8/9 speed cassette
Old 05-15-24, 09:21 AM
Old_Hat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a really helpful reply, thanks
Likes For Old_Hat:
Old 05-15-24, 03:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked 4,167 Times in 2,788 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Hat
Thanks - unfortunately I cant aford to replace the wheel/ hub and it wont accept an 8/9 speed cassette
You might be able to get a new freehub for it assuming it is a cassette based wheel. You will have to do a little research but it is sometimes doable. I did it to replace a freehub on a 600 Tricolor hub and it worked great a newer LX HG freehub to replace the UG freehub.
Likes For veganbikes: