Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Continental. Does It Have Value?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 04:50 AM
mcintosh60

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all. Thanks for your indulgence.

I have a well-loved Nishiki Continental that I no longer ride (I'm more vintage than the bike). It's served me well over the years but recently it's sat it a shed and started to get surface rust on the frame. I'm wondering if it still has value to classic bike enthusiasts. Until it was put into the shed it was well maintained and has mostly original parts. No accidents. Other than the rust and needing new tires, tubes and brake pads, it's in great shape.

If there is value in the bike, how can I assess whether it's better to sell it whole or part it out?

In regards to where to sell it... Since I'm near Toronto, would this be a good place to post it or should I consider other options like Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace.

I know this is a highly desirable classic bike. It was great to ride for many years and, if it's brought back to life, can provide many more years of service. I was thinking that wet sanding the frame and clear coating it might be cool, in order to preserve the patina but knowing that, in general, anything you do to restore anything vintage needs to be done with preservation of value and sometimes leaving it as it is often the best strategy.

I can provide photos. Let me know if there are any specific details you'd like to see.

Please let me know your thoughts on the above information.

Thanks
Old 04-17-23, 11:02 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
I am in BC. If i had that bike,did the bearings ,new cables ,housings and a good clean and polish i might get $250 for it. The market is not what it was during Covid.
Old 04-17-23, 11:55 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,335 Times in 1,378 Posts
@mcintosh60 - very useful to state where you are located!

In the post Covid world, bike prices have dropped considerably - but - you are located in one of the better areas to sell a bike. The good folks on here want a deal (and if you list here you have to pay a small fee) so you might do better on FB or Kijiji.

Photos are vital to a valuation

Because you don't have the minimum required (10) posts you cannot add your own photos

Go to "Gallery" at the top and click there. You can add photos there.

Return here and add a reply saying you have posted photos and someone here can update and add them for you.

OOPS! - Might be photos should be loaded under your profile, under albums!

Last edited by WGB; 04-18-23 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-17-23, 09:50 PM
LeftCoastJon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Hey Mcintosh60, I have a 1985 Nishiki Continental that I bought incomplete while we were still in London, ON, within the last couple years for $50. It was a frame and all parts except for wheels. I bought it thinking that it was gonna just be parts, but it turned out to be in great condition under dirt and grime, looks black but has a gold flake in it that looks great in sun. Also has a 3 pulley Cyclone II rear derailleur which I hadn't seen before so I just thought it was too good to break up. Instead I refurbished it - new wheels and tires, new 7 speed 14-34 Sunrace cassette and a new seat, everything else was just stripped down, cleaned and put back together. Works beautifully now - I uploaded a pic under my account if someone wouldn't mind sharing it (does that put it in the gallery automatically or do I still have to do something to make it available in there?).

I guess that doesn't help you much. Yes, was top of the line at the time, can be a very nice bike still, but not sure it will have much $ value really, like Garryg says
Old 04-18-23, 09:00 AM
WGB 
WGB

@LeftCoastJon and @mcintosh60 - I may have steered you wrong and photos may have to go under your profile, then on right side of profile under albums.
@LeftCoastJon I didn't see any albums there when I just checked.
Old 04-18-23, 09:41 AM
LeftCoastJon

WGB I think I got it now! I'd somehow uploaded pics without putting them into albums. Should be able to see it now
Old 04-18-23, 02:59 PM
WGB 
WGB

Lots of good things here. I like the idea of the triple, and the three jockey wheels.
Hopefully OP posts photos of that bike as well
Likes For WGB:
Old 04-18-23, 04:25 PM
LeftCoastJon

Thanks, WGB !

Now includes black Cane Creek brake hoods, that's the only thing I've added since.
Old 04-23-23, 05:34 PM
mcintosh60

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your input everyone

I really appreciate the words of encouragement and everyone's input.

Unfortunately, the bike is too far gone to salvage for a reasonable price, when I include time. I wish it were. There's a slight chance I might rebuild it so I can get a few more years but now that I've made the switch to an e-bike (I know it's blasphemous but my old creaking joints and atrophied muscles stopped me from going up hills without the electric assist over the past few years) I feel it will just sit in the hope that I get my fitness level to the point that I can climb the hill leading to my house without having a heart attack.

There's not much point in posting pics of it until it's been given new life. If that happens, I will certainly post them.

Cheers
Likes For mcintosh60:
Old 04-23-23, 05:38 PM
mcintosh60

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your input everyone

I really appreciate the words of encouragement and everyone's input.

Unfortunately, the bike is too far gone to salvage for a reasonable price, when I include time. I wish it were. There's a slight chance I might rebuild it so I can get a few more years but now that I've made the switch to an e-bike (I know it's blasphemous but my old creaking joints and atrophied muscles stopped me from going up hills without the electric assist over the past few years) I feel it will just sit in the hope that I get my fitness level to the point that I can climb the hill leading to my house without having a heart attack.

There's not much point in posting pics of it until it's been given new life. If that happens, I will certainly post them.

@WGB ... I am in Barrie, Ontario, an hour north of Toronto

Cheers
Old 04-23-23, 06:47 PM
WGB 
WGB

@mcintosh60 - Post photos in the galleries and we might be a give you a value should you decide to sell it....
Old 04-26-23, 07:31 PM
CrescentWrench

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice Nishiki.
Likes For CrescentWrench: