Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour GT cage question.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 09:00 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

At the local co-op I picked up a VGT Luxe Derailer or cheap and found this GT cage in the bin with the rest of the derailleurs. This cage looked exactly like the cage on a cyclone MKII GT, so is it same to assume I could swap this cage onto a standard cyclone and it will become a long cage version?

Old 07-24-22, 05:09 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
At the local co-op I picked up a VGT Luxe Derailer or cheap and found this GT cage in the bin with the rest of the derailleurs. This cage looked exactly like the cage on a cyclone MKII GT, so is it same to assume I could swap this cage onto a standard cyclone and it will become a long cage version?
I've never tried it with a MkII, but have done it with an early Cyclone (if my memory isn't playing tricks on me). steelbikeguy will know for sure.
Old 07-24-22, 05:38 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I've never tried it with a MkII, but have done it with an early Cyclone (if my memory isn't playing tricks on me). steelbikeguy will know for sure.
dang it, now I have to go and look up the difference between the 1st generation and the Mk II.

To be honest, I wasn't sure I could tell you what the difference is, but a quick perusal of my various teardown photos produced a good shot of a Mk II cage:

the key (only?) difference is that the Mk II has a hex hole for the lower pivot shaft, while the 1st generation has the threaded round hole as shown in the OP's photo.

It is possible to put a 1st gen GT cage on a 1st gen short cage Cyclone body, which I've done. The short-cage Cyclones come up on ebay for a bit less money than the GT's, possibly because low gears are becoming more popular among the vintage crowd. Having a spare GT cage such as this one would be handy for such a conversion.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-24-22, 09:22 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
At least on the first generation GT, you'll need the long-cage bolt.

The short-cage version has the cage pivot bolt screw into the cage, whereas on the GT version the cage pivot bolt also does double-duty as the axle for the jockey pulley.
Old 07-24-22, 09:45 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
At least on the first generation GT, you'll need the long-cage bolt.

The short-cage version has the cage pivot bolt screw into the cage, whereas on the GT version the cage pivot bolt also does double-duty as the axle for the jockey pulley.
Thanks for that extra, essential detail! It completely slipped my mind.

Some shots of the short cage derailleur and pivot bolt....

and the GT version....

Steve in Peoria