Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Modern Steel Road Bike Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 09:53 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I spent yesterday at NAHBS in Sacramento, and Rob English showed this fillet brazed 953 steel race bike at his booth. Weight as shown is 9.94 pounds. One of the booth employees encouraged me to pick it up, and I could hardly believe how light it was.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 02-28-16, 12:38 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
English is a total sick-o!
Old 02-28-16, 08:12 PM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow.... Did it have a price tag? i wonder what it would be like to ride????

My only experience with this kind o weight is a demo Trek Emonda at the local Trek shop. Weighs about 10 lbs. and picking up a whole bike at that weight is kind of surreal. They want $15K for it...although I'm sure they'd consider serious offers for a lot less. Been there for almost a year now, BTW.

STP

Originally Posted by Scooper
I spent yesterday at NAHBS in Sacramento, and Rob English showed this fillet brazed 953 steel race bike at his booth. Weight as shown is 9.94 pounds. One of the booth employees encouraged me to pick it up, and I could hardly believe how light it was.

Last edited by Porschefan; 02-28-16 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Add'l comment
Old 02-29-16, 05:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
So the English bike is certainly impressive, but some analysis of how it was done is instructive. It is hard for me to see the details, so a lot of what I comment about below is guess. Anyone feel free to correct me, but this is what it looks like to me:

The frame tubing is not oversized (at least not much). It wouldn't be out of line to predict noodly ride characteristics for the frame considering the ultra-thin tube walls. It is a steel bike, but almost half the seat tube is replaced by a carbon seat post. That helps frame stiffness, but not ride stiffness. The seat stays certainly resemble spaghetti. The saddle is minimal and unsuited for many riders. The pedals (which really shouldn't be included in the weight anyway) appear to me to be an obsolete design, long discarded by the industry. The rims appear to be very low profile by modern standards, sacrificing stiffness for weight reduction and little aero improvements. Such rims were never intended to be combined with so few spokes. The stem is fully slammed to give the lightest weight regardless of required riding position. I can't see the hubs, but guess they are of the ultra-light type that are not really suited for everyday riding. And so on.

If you can do this with steel, how much lighter would that bike be if a carbon frame were molded and built up including all those compromises?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-29-16, 06:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
So the English bike is certainly impressive, but some analysis of how it was done is instructive. It is hard for me to see the details, so a lot of what I comment about below is guess. Anyone feel free to correct me, but this is what it looks like to me:

The frame tubing is not oversized (at least not much). It wouldn't be out of line to predict noodly ride characteristics for the frame considering the ultra-thin tube walls. It is a steel bike, but almost half the seat tube is replaced by a carbon seat post. That helps frame stiffness, but not ride stiffness. The seat stays certainly resemble spaghetti. The saddle is minimal and unsuited for many riders. The pedals (which really shouldn't be included in the weight anyway) appear to me to be an obsolete design, long discarded by the industry. The rims appear to be very low profile by modern standards, sacrificing stiffness for weight reduction and little aero improvements. Such rims were never intended to be combined with so few spokes. The stem is fully slammed to give the lightest weight regardless of required riding position. I can't see the hubs, but guess they are of the ultra-light type that are not really suited for everyday riding. And so on.

If you can do this with steel, how much lighter would that bike be if a carbon frame were molded and built up including all those compromises?
Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a "show bike," or more generally, a "showpiece?" I'd have thought everyone knows that.
Old 02-29-16, 08:17 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Are you unfamiliar with the concept of a "show bike," or more generally, a "showpiece?" I'd have thought everyone knows that.
I am familiar with it, but it has no purpose for me. If that is what underlies English's display, to me it is deceptive. "What, it rides like crap? But of course! What do you expect? I didn't intend for anyone to ride it."

Who cares how light a bike can be built, if it isn't functional? That is no accomplishment. And apparently Porschefan is as clueless as I am. He asks what it would be like to ride. Go figure, huh?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-29-16, 09:55 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

That Rob English bike was built for a CAT 1 rider that's 5'9" and weighs 140 pounds, so for someone that size and weight the standard diameter tubing is probably OK. The gal at the booth said that for a larger, heavier rider the bike would be heavier implying larger diameter thicker walled tubing.

my bikes

Old 02-29-16, 10:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
So, if it's built for a racer, will it be built up to be raced with heavier components, or is this just a light bike because s/he wants a light bike? I'd assumed it was sort of a display thing rather than something that would be ridden. Cool either way.

Old 02-29-16, 11:47 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by himespau
So, if it's built for a racer, will it be built up to be raced with heavier components, or is this just a light bike because s/he wants a light bike? I'd assumed it was sort of a display thing rather than something that would be ridden. Cool either way.
According to the write-up at the booth, the bike is being raced (presumably as equipped at the show).

The chainrings appear to be CF.

Some photos: English Cycles 2016 NAHBS 9.9 pound bike

my bikes

Old 02-29-16, 12:30 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unagidon

My new toy - Kona Roadhouse.
Nice, what are your thoughts on it?
Old 02-29-16, 12:36 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Scooper, that is awesome. Thanks for posting.

I had a feeling it might draw some heat here, lol.

I guess Rodriguez can't continue to claim the lightest steel bike anymore.
Old 02-29-16, 01:55 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Scooper, that is awesome. Thanks for posting.

I had a feeling it might draw some heat here, lol.

I guess Rodriguez can't continue to claim the lightest steel bike anymore.
There's another thread with more information about the bike in C&V:

Vintage bikes and steel frames at NAHBS day 1 | BikeForums Classic & Vintage

my bikes

Old 02-29-16, 06:19 PM
Porschefan

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 4.3, 1989 Schwinn Circuit, 2010 Yeti ASR 5, '80 Vitus 979 (being refurb'd)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I am familiar with it, but it has no purpose for me. If that is what underlies English's display, to me it is deceptive. "What, it rides like crap? But of course! What do you expect? I didn't intend for anyone to ride it."

Who cares how light a bike can be built, if it isn't functional? That is no accomplishment. And apparently Porschefan is as clueless as I am. He asks what it would be like to ride. Go figure, huh?
Undoubtedly true. Gotta start somewhere.

STP
Old 02-29-16, 09:17 PM
Unagidon

Bikes: 19 Look 765 Gravel RS, 18 Cervelo C5, 13 Niner Jet9 RDO, 08 Surly Crosscheck, 05 Serotta Fierte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Nice, what are your thoughts on it?
See 2nd to last post on this page. https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...roadhouse.html
Old 03-01-16, 04:14 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts

Old and new. My $40 Panasonic and my Craigslist Jamis. I think it's a good looking bike even with the triple.
Old 03-01-16, 06:54 PM
himespau 

I think that's a really attractive triple crank (I'm a huge triple fan, but that looks a lot more attractive than most modern cranksets). What is it?

Old 03-01-16, 08:06 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by himespau
I think that's a really attractive triple crank (I'm a huge triple fan, but that looks a lot more attractive than most modern cranksets). What is it?
It looks very FSA-ish to me...

my bikes

Old 03-01-16, 09:44 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That Rob English bike was built for a CAT 1 rider that's 5'9" and weighs 140 pounds, so for someone that size and weight the standard diameter tubing is probably OK. The gal at the booth said that for a larger, heavier rider the bike would be heavier implying larger diameter thicker walled tubing.
i'll bet that racer never races this thing.
Old 03-01-16, 10:37 PM
himespau 

It looks very FSA-ish to me...

Looks about right to me. Not as nice up close, but still a lot better than those squids Shimano was putting out a few years back.

Old 03-13-16, 04:39 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Hi Vinnems, Im with ya on this, could you please email me at racinman@juno.com

Tx, Van

Originally Posted by Vinnems
I just ordered one of the new De Rosa Nuovo Classicos. That blue chrome I could not resist:

Don't know why all the American and other sites were charging so much for it ($3500!!!!). I found a dealer in Sweden who is getting it for me $1300 shipped. I'm going to build up the same as De Rosa shows, with Campagnolo Athena and Deda seat post, stem, and bars, probably look pedals, and I don't know what wheel set yet but something to compliment it.
Here's a source that I hope some others may find helpful. It's a spreadsheet I made for when I was searching for modern vintage, as I referred to it as. Basically, new frames that are made of steel with lugs. I would love to add to this list if you have any other companies, frames, and other info you want me to put on it.
Old 03-13-16, 04:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

TPE16: Iconic brand Bridgestone Cycles makes a strong push to put branded bikes back on the market - Bikerumor
Old 03-13-16, 05:13 AM
himespau 

nice

Old 03-13-16, 07:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Hey, Bridgestone! That's some nostalgia there, for me! My first MTB was my futile attempt to make my '87 CB-3, a gift from my parents for me to take to college, into something trailworthy. I later had an MB4 frame which I built up pretty sweetly and had fun racing on. It wasn't great, and a marked step-down from what preceeded it, but it served me well.

I'd like to know more about Neo-Cot frames, but they seem kinda dated. Maybe they need a little of Grant Peterson's pixie dust over there!

Hoestly, I'd get a kick out of the Bridgestone brand being back in the USA, and would seriously consider adding one to the herd, if just for old time's sake, but the MTBs do look sweet.
Old 03-13-16, 05:38 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
TPE16: Iconic brand Bridgestone Cycles makes a strong push to put branded bikes back on the market - Bikerumor
Old 03-13-16, 05:45 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
i'll bet that racer never races this thing.
NAHBS 2016 - Rob English?s bikes blow minds on road, gravel, dirt and city - Bikerumor
It's Rob English's race bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.