Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help choosing a commuter bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Help choosing a commuter bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 04:53 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by windywheels
Kuroba, I am reluctant to use the drop bars as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and my hands get numb when using them. I don't know if it is because of my posture and probably placing more weight on my hands but they didn't work for me.

10 miles each way will be fine for a flat-bar bike. Plus there are lots of ergonomic grips and doodads to make your hands more comfortable.

I really like that Specialized you linked to.
Old 04-26-17, 03:16 AM
windywheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments, it was really helpful! It is soooo dificult to choose a bike!! soo many things to consider but... I went for the Marin Terra Linda, which I've just ordered. I will change the flat bar for a butterfly one later on but before I will use the ergo grips and check how it goes.
I will post a pic once it arrives!! :-) can't wait!
Old 04-26-17, 06:44 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kuroba, I am reluctant to use the drop bars as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and my hands get numb when using them. I don't know if it is because of my posture and probably placing more weight on my hands but they didn't work for me.
Probably because of bike fit/position if you're getting numb hands. I used to get numb hands when I started my eight mile commute on a road bike. Having proper saddle position and stem length fixed it for me as it has for many others. Now I have more problems on my flat bar bike than either of my drop bar bikes. Ride what you like though and have fun.

As for carpal tunnel/tendonitis less time using a mouse usually helps a lot.
Old 04-26-17, 09:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
You got me curious, so I looked at the pages for the Terra Linda SC2 and Terra Linda SC4, and they both look excellent. We don't see many Marin bikes here in the northeast, but those I've seen all seem good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-17, 03:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Most road bikes will come with 23-25 mm tires, but you should be able to accommodate 28 mm without much difficulty. A gravel or cx bike should be able to take much wider tires--up to 40 mm in some cases, if you ride on paved roads you likely don't need or want tires that wide.
It's not just width you need to worry about. On my old road bike the first place a too big tire rubs is the fork crown. After quite a few years of narrowish tires on my 26" MTB based commuter I just put on a pair of fattish 1.85 slicks and enjoyed a very comfortable ride with no loss of average speed, which surprised me. (that's discussed elsewhere).

I am reluctant to use the drop bars as I have carpal tunnel syndrome and my hands get numb when using them. I don't know if it is because of my posture and probably placing more weight on my hands but they didn't work for me.
With drop bars you can ride with your hands on the upper bar, and if you commute in traffic, you add a second set of brake levers on the flat upper portion of the bar (called "interrupter" brakes). That's what I do. In fact for me, I need to move my hands around. On the hoods works best for me, but I still can't do it for long before my hands hurt. I will do two or three hand positions on the hoods (wrapping the fingers differently around the 'horn'), then there is the upper, the outter heel of the upper and the lower.

On my straight bar commuter I added bar-ends and an aero-bar. The sheer amount of metal up there seems to impress non-cyclists, and from the right angles it does look almost cool. But it's really kind of a kludge, but one that works for me.

I could get the same or more hand positions with touring or trekking bars that look like butterflies, and I may do that eventually, since may not require a brake swap (although it would still be a fair amount of work to install everything).
Old 04-27-17, 07:56 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the comments, it was really helpful! It is soooo dificult to choose a bike!! soo many things to consider but... I went for the Marin Terra Linda, which I've just ordered. I will change the flat bar for a butterfly one later on but before I will use the ergo grips and check how it goes.
Those particular grips pictured are Ergon, made in Germany. They are the dog's nuts.
Old 04-28-17, 02:05 PM
windywheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
Probably because of bike fit/position if you're getting numb hands. I used to get numb hands when I started my eight mile commute on a road bike. Having proper saddle position and stem length fixed it for me as it has for many others. Now I have more problems on my flat bar bike than either of my drop bar bikes. Ride what you like though and have fun.

As for carpal tunnel/tendonitis less time using a mouse usually helps a lot.
I can see that it really varies from one to another. I'll start with the flat bars and see how it goes.

Regarding the carpal tunnel I know I should be less time with a mouse but I am a developer and it is, at the moment, out of the question, unfortunately.
Old 04-28-17, 02:08 PM
windywheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You got me curious, so I looked at the pages for the Terra Linda SC2 and Terra Linda SC4, and they both look excellent. We don't see many Marin bikes here in the northeast, but those I've seen all seem good.
Interesting, I thought that being Marin bikes an American company you would see more bikes there than here.
Old 04-28-17, 02:12 PM
windywheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I
With drop bars you can ride with your hands on the upper bar, and if you commute in traffic, you add a second set of brake levers on the flat upper portion of the bar (called "interrupter" brakes). .
I didn't know that you could add a second set of brakes levers. It would be something to check if/when I decide to go for the drop bars.
Old 04-28-17, 02:21 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
10 miles each way will be fine for a flat-bar bike. Plus there are lots of ergonomic grips and doodads to make your hands more comfortable.

I really like that Specialized you linked to.
I like this, it reminds me of a Starfury

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-28-17, 02:34 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
if you go for longer rides or group rides then a drop bar is more ideal.
If these are quite fast rides, perhaps 18 MPH or faster, then yes. Otherwise most people are not using their back enough to pull weight up off their wrists and so too much of their upper body is resting on them which can lead to a lot of wrist and shoulder pain. At speeds below this an upright is more comfortable for most people.
Old 04-28-17, 02:35 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I didn't know that you could add a second set of brakes levers. It would be something to check if/when I decide to go for the drop bars.
Theyre called cross-top or "interrupter" brakes, I have them on my bike. They're very useful when you're transitioning from flat bars to drop bars or in traffic.
IMG_6326_2.jpg
Old 04-28-17, 02:36 PM
CrankyOne

Regarding the carpal tunnel I know I should be less time with a mouse but I am a developer and it is, at the moment, out of the question, unfortunately.
Keyboard shortcuts are your friend :-)
Old 04-28-17, 02:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I can see that it really varies from one to another. I'll start with the flat bars and see how it goes.

I use a trackball in which the ball is under the fingers and the mouse button is the thumb. Works great for me at least. Unfortunately I cannot recommend mine for you as they are apparently collectible or something now
I paid $30 for this same thing in 2009 and now it is $439??? what's with that?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-28-17, 07:18 PM
CrankyOne

I still have my original Lynx trackball from 1987. I loved that thing. Great for pinpoint accuracy and then you could spin the ball to quickly move from place to place. Kind of miss it.
Old 04-29-17, 05:50 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi,

I used to commute by bike some years ago and then stopped.
I decided to start again, for several reasons, and I would like to buy a commuter bike. What do you guys recommend?

I will be cycling 20miles / 36km per day, round trip, in London, UK.
I am female, 51 years old.

My old bike was a very entry level bike which I gave away to a friend, hence need to buy a new one

I would like to commute starting 2 or 3 days per week and build it up to 5 daysper week. I will also like to take it to some longer trips, at some point, like doing the London-Paris ride (4 days aprox.)

Some people said that I would get bored with an hybrid, which is the one I was going for.
What do you think?

Windywheels
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend? IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals. I don’t comment on specific brands / components because
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…[while] all the others were very technophilic and conversant about brands and components.I admitted that my LBS does essentially all my work, and I trust their opinions,so I don’t shop around...
but I have lived a cycling lifestyle for 40 years, including decades of a year-round minimal 14-mile one way commute in Boston.

With that in mind, last year I bought a bike that might be ideal for your situation:
After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route, I have finally assembled the perfect bicycle fleet [to include]:
  • One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike, just recently acquired [outfitted with 30 C studded tires for winter, trunk bag with fold–out panniers, computer, clipless pedals and fenders]
I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.
.I'm very happy with my Specialized S-Works for dry weather riding, but my Cannondale Mountain bike was pretty heavy and cumbersome as a Wet/Winter beater.So I recently bought a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works.

The
ride and shifting of the Diverge is as smooth as the S-Works, but the feel is more ”solid,” with 30 C tires. I think this is a great all-purpose bike…, so I'm very happy with the Diverge.
The Diverge is my equivalent of a Lexus. As a preferred customer at my bike shop it cost about $US 1500, completely outfitted as described above.
Thanks everyone for the comments, it was really helpful! It is soooo dificult to choose a bike!! soo many things to consider but... I went for the Marin Terra Linda,which I've just ordered.

I w
ill change the flat bar for a butterfly one later on but before I will use the ergo grips and check how it goes.
. I didn't read through the entire thead, but maybe someone will find my recommendation useful.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
untitled.jpg (23.3 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-29-17 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-29-17, 12:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Interesting, I thought that being Marin bikes an American company you would see more bikes there than here.
It's a big country. I think you find Marin mostly on the west coast, where they are based.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-29-17, 12:39 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
.I didn't read through the entire thead, but maybe someone will find my recommendation useful.
Soon thereafter I replied to this similar thread, "Help me choose! Ready to buy my first bike."
Originally Posted by estafette72
So I think I've narrowed my choices down to some finalists, and I'm ready to pull the trigger. The whole bike industry is new to me, and reading through manyof the threads on here and other forums have shed some light on one fact: there are few "wrong" answers and there are many "right" opinions.
Coming in late, but FYA I just posted to a similar, open-ended query on this Commuter Forum about which bike to buy:…
Old 05-01-17, 05:38 AM
ModManZZZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Any bike can be a commuter bike with a good setup.
Old 05-01-17, 05:53 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by ModManZZZ
Any bike can be a commuter bike with a good setup.
Yes, if the distance is short enough. But over 20 km and/or hilly route I'd say no way I'd want to ride anything that has the following descriptors attached to it: fat, knobby, upright, single-speed/fixed gear.
Old 05-01-17, 06:16 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
i think any of the bikes you posted will work. i understand the desire for flat bars as well. i am a 60 yo man who occasionally commutes 25 mi round trip. drop bars work for me but only if i get them very high. i guess i am saying get flat bars but i also would suggest looking at north road bars. my gf likes them a lot. she says they are very good for her wrists.
Old 05-02-17, 03:20 AM
windywheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroba
Theyre called cross-top or "interrupter" brakes, I have them on my bike. They're very useful when you're transitioning from flat bars to drop bars or in traffic.
Attachment 561086
Thanks Kuroba, I really like your setup, especially with the interrupters.

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
i guess i am saying get flat bars but i also would suggest looking at north road bars. my gf likes them a lot. she says they are very good for her wrists.
52telecaster, I will have a look at the north bars too. thanks.

I will first ride my bike with the flat bars and see how it goes. I am sure I will have to modify the setup but first I need to go for several rides.
I am starting commuting tomorrow! Still I need to add few things, the locks, computer, front rack but here is my bike
Old 05-02-17, 03:36 AM
windywheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, here is the pic

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Anu4KKvXSCyigZg91596oatcNJdLoA

for some reason I can't add a picture but I can add a link

Old 05-02-17, 05:43 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
looks awesome windywheels. my gf and i will be coming to london in a couple of years. cant wait!
Old 05-02-17, 12:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Pic assist

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.