Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1st ride on my finished winter project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 10:56 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts

I got the last piece needed for my winter project on Saturday so Sunday it was ready for it's inaugural ride.
It's a 1985 Vitus 979.
Back in the 80's all you heard was how whippy and noodley these bikes were, so I decided to subject a 60cm frame to my 210# and find out.
28mm tires fit, but I was concerned about chainstay rub so I installed 26mm just in case.
Guess what, it's not a noodle! Granted, I'm not doing any bunch sprints and I'm not really a masher, but I didn't experience any ghost shifts or front der rub. I didn't push any corners hard, because they are still pretty sandy here.
I really like the way this bike rode. It was a windy day, so I got to do some 53x16 spinning with the tailwind. I'm looking forward to more miles on this iconic 80's bike.
Jim in Mpls

The Dura Ace shifters didn't work with the shifter bosses on this frame, but luckily I had these for a plan b

I still think this is one of the best looking cranks ever!

I dug up my old Avocet for the finishing touch
Old 03-11-21, 11:02 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
That blue color really pops, and the bright cranks match the lugs.

Cool that there is room for gravel tires!
Likes For dddd:
Old 03-12-21, 06:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Cool bike and you have a functioning Avocet bike computer. How cool is that?
Old 03-12-21, 06:31 AM
Innova

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks good!!
Old 03-12-21, 06:42 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Looks gorgeous, first rides are always a treat. Enjoy!
Old 03-12-21, 07:55 AM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
That's a beauty for sure! Congrats
Old 03-12-21, 08:07 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Beautiful bike and well done! However...

Unless that steering stem has a long reach into the steering tube, you are risking damaging one of the weakest parts of the Vitus - the head tube lugs. They are prone to cracking and if the steering stem is not inserted enough, into the steering tube, then the leverage is great, dramatically increasing the chances of doing serious damage to the frame. Is such damage occurs, while riding, one might do some serious damage to the rider, should he or she loose control of the bike.

By the way, I loved the ride qualities of both my Vitus and my ALAN. Sadly, for fat old me, the frames were a bit too flexible to accept my weight and strength.
Old 03-12-21, 10:56 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
^Looks like one of the long Nitto Technomic stems, so presuming it's okay.

My first race bike was a Vitus 979, in sky blue. I still have a soft place in my heart for those frames. Your build looks great. As I recall, the lugs on mine were anodized, thus not able to be polished like yours. It was a long time ago, so I may be mis-remembering. (I never bothered polishing anything back then. As long as adjusted properly, I was good to go.) Did you have to strip the lugs, or did some of these come polished like that?

I appreciate the French-themed zip ties.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 03-12-21, 11:16 AM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
^Looks like one of the long Nitto Technomic stems, so presuming it's okay.

My first race bike was a Vitus 979, in sky blue. I still have a soft place in my heart for those frames. Your build looks great. As I recall, the lugs on mine were anodized, thus not able to be polished like yours. It was a long time ago, so I may be mis-remembering. (I never bothered polishing anything back then. As long as adjusted properly, I was good to go.) Did you have to strip the lugs, or did some of these come polished like that?

I appreciate the French-themed zip ties.
Thanks gaucho, you are correct that is a technomic stem. I have lowered it a bit since that photo.
I polished the lugs with aluminum polish. They shined up right nice!
And thanks for noticing the zip ties-I was pretty pleased with myself when I came up with that!

Jim
Old 03-12-21, 11:07 PM
AeroIronBiker

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Beautiful build
Likes For AeroIronBiker:
Old 03-13-21, 11:40 AM
joluja 
_______

Bikes: Merckx Corsa Extra, Ciocc Mockba, Zeus Victoria, Serotta CDA, Willier Cento 1SR, Pinarello FP Quattro, Teledyne Titan, Chesini Arena Precision 83, Denti Master, De Rosa 35th Anniversario, 3Rensho Super Record, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Klein Rascal

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 31 Posts
Very cool Vitus!

Very cool Vitus!
Old 03-14-21, 08:45 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Beautiful bike and well done! However...

Unless that steering stem has a long reach into the steering tube, you are risking damaging one of the weakest parts of the Vitus - the head tube lugs. They are prone to cracking and if the steering stem is not inserted enough, into the steering tube, then the leverage is great, dramatically increasing the chances of doing serious damage to the frame. Is such damage occurs, while riding, one might do some serious damage to the rider, should he or she loose control of the bike.

By the way, I loved the ride qualities of both my Vitus and my ALAN. Sadly, for fat old me, the frames were a bit too flexible to accept my weight and strength.
I think you might have been meaning to refer to ALAN's head tube lug cracking problems? I don't think Vitus had head lug cracking problems, because they had that hefly, one piece aluminum headstock design that got rid of having to use lugs at that high stress area.
I've seen lots of ALAN'S with cracked head lugs, but never really seen a Vitus 979, 992, 787 or Carbone with a cracked aluminum headstock.....

Last edited by Chombi1; 03-14-21 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-15-21, 12:51 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I think you might have been meaning to refer to ALAN's head tube lug cracking problems? I don't think Vitus had head lug cracking problems, because they had that hefly, one piece aluminum headstock design that got rid of having to use lugs at that high stress area.
I've seen lots of ALAN'S with cracked head lugs, but never really seen a Vitus 979, 992, 787 or Carbone with a cracked aluminum headstock.....
You are correct. It was the ALAN that had this issue to be aware of. Lucky for me, my ALAN was in good shape and what a lovely bike...