Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2 Concerns coming off my bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2 Concerns coming off my bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 01:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
As you're stopping and have one foot unclipped, steer the bike slightly *away* from that foot. That has the effect of initiating a fall towards your down foot, so you won't fall over toward your clipped-in foot. Getting started again is just a matter of practice.
Old 11-25-17, 02:00 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Of course i fell over on my very first cliped-in ride many years ago. At a busy 4 way stop. Right in front of a convertible. Loaded with girls. Laughing as they sped away.
Old 11-25-17, 03:40 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go find a grass hill, and practice riding up, slow down and stall out on purpose... getting off, getting back on and re-starting...and remember that being in the correct gear helps the re-start A LOT...easier the better.

Or better yet, skip all that and kist go enter a cyclocross race...by lap 2 or 3, you'll have it figured out. :-)
Old 11-25-17, 08:21 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,668 Times in 2,859 Posts
Originally Posted by phil_gretz
@dreamrider85 !!!
+1
Old 11-27-17, 01:27 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I hope I’m explaining myself correctly. Sure it takes time to learn clips. I’ve been doing clips for a while. But there’s 2 situations that I can’t really practice. And that is unclipping when the wheel stops turning and getting out of them while I’m going up a big hill. I got out of it while going up King mountain rode but I couldn’t get my left foot out. This is serious because there could be a car driving up while I fall to the side. Don’t know why I fell when I used to getting out of clips.
Old 11-27-17, 01:33 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
I hope I’m explaining myself correctly. Sure it takes time to learn clips. I’ve been doing clips for a while. But there’s 2 situations that I can’t really practice. And that is unclipping when the wheel stops turning and getting out of them while I’m going up a big hill. I got out of it while going up King mountain rode but I couldn’t get my left foot out. This is serious because there could be a car driving up while I fall to the side. Don’t know why I fell when I used to getting out of clips.
So don't clip in when you go up a big hill.
Old 11-27-17, 02:57 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by Machka
So don't clip in when you go up a big hill.

That would be awkward plus your toes might accidentally find the clip
Old 11-27-17, 03:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
That would be awkward plus your toes might accidentally find the clip
You mean the ball of your foot might find the clip.

And it's not that awkward ... it's how I've been riding for the past decade.
Old 11-27-17, 03:37 AM
DreamRider85

Originally Posted by Machka
You mean the ball of your foot might find the clip.

And it's not that awkward ... it's how I've been riding for the past decade.

Well you know what I’m saying. How is not awkward? First how would you prevent it and secondly how would you generate enough power to go uphill? Seems awkward positioning. Why do you ride like that?
Old 11-27-17, 09:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Before doing anything else, turn down the tension on your pedals. This will make getting out of them much easier. Adjust them so that you can easily click out when you want to but they stay tight enough to keep from clicking out when you don't what to. That will go a long way towards being able to do what I suggest below.

But there’s 2 situations that I can’t really practice. And that is unclipping when the wheel stops turning and
Yes you can practice this. Ride slow and clip in and out. Ride slower and clip in and out. Learn how to stand still with your feet clipped in and how to click out and put a foot down. The latter is called a "track stand" and is highly useful for stoplights and signs. I regularly go for very long rides where I may never unclip and I stop at all stoplights and signs...I just don't put my foot down at each one.

getting out of them while I’m going up a big hill.
Same as will the track stand. Learn how to deal with the clipless at slow speeds by slowing down and clipping out.

I got out of it while going up King mountain rode but I couldn’t get my left foot out. This is serious because there could be a car driving up while I fall to the side. Don’t know why I fell when I used to getting out of clips.
You shouldn't need to get both feet out of the pedals when you stop. Most people are going to use their right foot but the key is to slide off the saddle and put your foot down further away from the bike. If it is too close, yes, you are likely to fall over but if you put your foot out a few inches (up to about a foot) away from the bike, it will be stable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-27-17, 09:32 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I can recall exactly three times (in the last twenty years) that I've had to bail on a difficult incline, each time while on my loaded touring bike.

Otherwise, my advice would be to not stop. Don't give in. Don't give up.

This doesn't include MTB riding, where bailing out (or stalling and falling over) occur pretty frequently for many reasons.
Phil, don't you think that's sort of like asking someone not to get tired on a hill?
Old 11-27-17, 09:35 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Is the final stop so abrupt that you don't know it's coming? Unclip earlier.
Old 11-27-17, 10:53 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Ride up the hill at a faster speed so you will have more time to unclip during emergency situations
Old 11-27-17, 11:27 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This issue has happened. When I was going up a hill, I got off my bike. I got out of my clips. And for some reason I wasn't able to transfer my weight to my right side and I ended up falling to the left, couldn't get my left foot out on time. Luckily no cars were around.

And so this is a concern. What would you do? Please don't just say lose the clipless pedals immediately. I want a real answer based on people who have had this experience. Getting off an a hill doesn't seem to be as easily as the flats.

My other issue is this. Sometimes you know that something broke. I think the chain. And your pedals will stop turning. So you have to get out. What if you're going downhill? Or uphill?
Late to the discussion but since I started clipless a few months ago and had a few falls myself, I can share my experience. Coming to a stop, wether there is a curb or not to rest my foot on, I unclip both feet. It takes less than a second to clip back.

For emergencies, reflex will come with time. Coming to a blind corner, I don't rely on reflex though, I unclip and use the arch of my feet to pedal if needed be. As for real emergencies, like when two weeks ago someone also on bike cut in front of me and had to apply my brakes hard. It wasn't the most graceful dismount but managed it. I'm pretty sure I would have fallen if it had happened a few months earlier but the instinct to unclip becomes second nature after a while. I just don't tempt faith though, I unclip, just in case...