Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pure Hubs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pure Hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 11:10 AM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Pure Hubs?

Hi all. I'm checking out the Bicycle Warehouse "Blackset" wheel line and see that they use "Pure" hubs in a lot of their builds. They advertise the Pure hubs as "the best road hub sets that doesn't say Dur Ace". Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with Pure hubs that you can share? Thanks.
Old 11-17-23, 05:31 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
I have one BWW Pure XCR hub. It came to me secondhand and continues to reside here on a wheel I rarely use. It has never given me any trouble in a few hundred miles, but is nothing special. The freehub ticks quite loudly when coasting, which you may or may not like.

Based on that limited experience, I would not agree with BWW's claim that these are among the best hubs available -- the furthest I would go is to say they're above-average.
Old 11-17-23, 05:36 PM
ArgoMan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Above average is okay with me! How do you like the BWW wheels? Which one is it? Thanks!
Old 11-18-23, 09:16 AM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Above average is okay with me! How do you like the BWW wheels? Which one is it? Thanks!
I have no BWW wheels. The Pure XCR hub is laced to a rim from another manufacturer.
Old 11-18-23, 07:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have a set of "Pure Race" wheels for a few years now. The hubs are smooth. I have no measured data on their actual performance, but they're no worse or better - as far as I can tell - than my Reynolds, DT Swiss, Williams, Velocity or Boyd hubs. They all work, haven't required maintenace, and haven't broken in thousands of miles.

How does a lay person measure hub performance - spinning resistance, durability, etc. anyway?