Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

ftp test

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 02:35 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
ftp test

a few weeks ago i've done the "effort test" to obtain the 2024 certificate to have access to the races.
During this test the doctor had a bike wich measure cadence, power, kcal etc. Basically was one of those bikes you can find at the gym.
Since my brother in law has a gym with almost the same bikes, i would like to know how to replicate this watt measure.

The doctor was adding 25watts every amount of time (wich i suppose depends on the bike itself).
To make the exactly watt measurement should i start from x amount of watts and then increase the resistance effect every minute until i do not have more energy.
is this correct?
Old 02-09-24, 07:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
This is called a ramp test. A typical protocol is to warm up and then increase wattage by 20W steps every minute until you eventually fail. Your FTP is then estimated as 75% of the max power you achieved in the ramp. The starting wattage for the ramp is not that important as long as it is relatively easy.

Edit: The gym bike might well have a built-in ramp test program. Worth a look.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-09-24 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-11-24, 05:39 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is called a ramp test. A typical protocol is to warm up and then increase wattage by 20W steps every minute until you eventually fail. Your FTP is then estimated as 75% of the max power you achieved in the ramp. The starting wattage for the ramp is not that important as long as it is relatively easy.

is possible to "imitate" that ramp test if the bike is not already programmed with that?
Old 02-11-24, 06:56 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
is possible to "imitate" that ramp test if the bike is not already programmed with that?
Yes, if it has ERG mode that you can adjust power to set targets. Then just follow the ramp protocol with manual 20W power steps every minute. Make sure you do a good warm-up before starting the ramp.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-11-24, 02:50 PM
Ric Stern

Bikes: Handsling AIROevo and CEXevo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

The original poster should use a 25 W/min ramp rate. And, if possible split this further, e.g., 5 W every 12-secs. You should start the test at very low power (most people less than 100 W), and keep going until you can't. Prior to having a computer programme that would increment the power i had a piece of paper with all the numbers written down on it....

Anyway, the estimate of 1 hour power from the ramp is to use a range of 72 - 77 % of the best 60-secs of the ramp test.
Likes For Ric Stern:
Old 02-11-24, 03:16 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
For those of you who aren't aware of it, Ric is the originator of the MAP ramp test, about 25 (?? yikes!) years ago.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-11-24, 03:24 PM
Ric Stern

gawd, i was youngish then. Thanks Robert.

It was weird, i started collecting power data in 1994 (i was 25 then) but wasn't overly sure what exactly it meant. I turned up to Uni (to do a degree in sports science in 1995) and it literally took a month for it all to come together. I remember riding a "Kingcycle" (there's something to google) at 200 W and proclaiming that this was about the average power of a road race (which caused raucous laughing, as everyone said it was way harder than that). Turns out that many of the road races i do are less than 200 W (and it's simply the stochastic nature that make them hard). i then started collecting data on other riders (gawd this was before stuff was downloadable) and worked out power curves and estimated powers from a ramp test for all sorts of durations. Happy days!
Likes For Ric Stern:
Old 02-11-24, 03:51 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Ric Stern
gawd, i was youngish then. Thanks Robert.
We all were.

BTW, I do hang out sometimes on r/velo (just not as rchung; sometimes it's more fun that way). Thanks.
Old 02-11-24, 03:59 PM
Ric Stern

Originally Posted by RChung
We all were.

BTW, I do hang out sometimes on r/velo (just not as rchung; sometimes it's more fun that way). Thanks.
i thought you might and just mentioned you in a post (i only just joined ****** this week). Also mentioned Andy C as well - i have an inkling he may hang out there under a pseudonym (as i saw some text that looked like Andy). I'm on as RicCycleCoach .
Old 02-11-24, 04:12 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by Ric Stern
i thought you might and just mentioned you in a post (i only just joined ****** this week). Also mentioned Andy C as well - i have an inkling he may hang out there under a pseudonym (as i saw some text that looked like Andy). I'm on as RicCycleCoach .
Yeah, I saw your post. And there's someone there who does occasionally sound a lot like Andy.
Likes For RChung:
Old 02-11-24, 04:29 PM
Ric Stern

Yeah, I saw your post. And there's someone there who does occasionally sound a lot like Andy.
thought so :-)
Old 02-11-24, 05:58 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
We all were.

r/velo?
Never mind. Google is my friend.