Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice on restoring 1953 Raleigh all steel gents bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 06:09 AM
hughwp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Picked this bike up locally for £35 it is in original condition with 2 new tyres having been owned and stored unused in shed for last 25yrs before original owner sold it to the guy I bought it off during lockdown. It has a lot of surface dusty type rust but rides OK but needs lubrication and adjustments.

I would like to keep it as a working bike with a sympathetic restoration rather than a total strip spray and rebuilt which I can't justify in time and money.

Was thinking lubricating and adjusting bearings polishing chrome and using some rust inhibiter on the frame to turn the rust black and then wax the frame to blend with the remaining paint.

I know it will never be worth a fortune but would like to preserve a piece of history and use it occasionally.

I'll attached some pics once I get to 10 posts any advise on restore appreciated

Last edited by hughwp; 05-01-23 at 06:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-23, 06:37 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
If you don't mind reading for the next two days, my restoration log of a '52 Sports ought to give you a good idea of what's possible and the workflow for it: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gh-sports.html

-Kurt

Old 05-01-23, 06:59 AM
hughwp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for reply yours looks a similar vintage to mine it has rod brakes and a top chain cover and is more rusty!
Old 05-01-23, 07:01 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by hughwp
Thanks for reply yours looks a similar vintage to mine it has rod brakes and a top chain cover and is more rusty!
Definitely check out this one I'm doing right now then. I dare say it's likely rustier than yours: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-princess.html

-Kurt

Old 05-01-23, 07:31 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

maybe itsa thissa wunnuh...

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-01-23, 08:14 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Welcome to the forum and great Raleigh to preserve!

If it’s not obvious, my screen name indicates a fondness for neglected gems. If I’m understanding you correctly, you plan on using a rust converter that will turn the rusty sections black, yes? I’m not a fan of those products since they will turn the metal black forever. Many here like to use Oxalic Acid to manage/treat the rust. I have had excellent results with Evaporust and recommend it. A quick coat of black spray paint afterwards and you will be good for a few years.

The rest of the plan to do a full service is sound and I encourage it. The old Raleighs are almost indestructible and I’m sure we all look forward to seeing the results.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 02-19-24, 06:00 AM
hughwp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Update on the old boneshaker have rubbed of the surface rust and treated it with some rayhong rust converter I got of Temu for under a fiver. I have copiously oiled all the moving parts as you can from pics.

I Plan to get some rubbers for one of the pedals and some grips .

Next step is to maybe touch up some of the bare metal areas and put a coat of was on the frame as I want to keep it as original as possible and I think keeping the patina is more in keeping with a sympathetic restoration.

Does anyone know what the best type of wax to use or any other advice?

Regards

Likes For hughwp:
Old 02-19-24, 07:02 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Thanks for coming back to update us on your progress. Well done so far!

As far as wax/polish, any quality automotive product should work well for you. We each have our favorites and I prefer Meguiar's products. But with that said, use what you have on hand.

May I also suggest that your Brooks leather saddle should be treated with either Brooks Proofide or another quality leather care dressing. Your saddle appears to be long overdue for an application.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-19-24, 07:56 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I've used Kiwi black boot polish to even out of colour. Do two coats, using a buffing wheel or pad to burnish it well, then put a final clear coat of neutral car wax. Again, polish the bejeezus out of it so there's no bleeding in the sun.
Likes For clubman:
Old 02-19-24, 09:39 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I have zero experience with rod-operated brakes, but if KoolStop makes pads for them, you definitely want to do this upgrade.
Aluminum rims would also greatly enhance stopping performance, but that's probably not an option here.

Side note: My Schwinn mountain bike (see signature) has a chainstay-mounted rear brake, just as your Raleigh does. Some people curse them, but it is not difficult to work on a chainstay-mounted brake if you have a good workstand. They do tend to accumulate all sorts of road grime on short order.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-19-24, 10:13 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Ryde makes aluminum 635 rims, but I'm not sure about 590s. There has got to be a way to shoehorn in a set of Kool Stop inserts into the original brake shoes.
Finally, add a set of Col De La Vie tires (tyres) and that bike will liven up quite a bit. Great find!
Old 02-19-24, 10:46 AM
PlymouthJLA
Planet Earth

Bikes: 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports, 1970 Raleigh Super Course, 1994 Serrota Colorado Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hughwp
Update on the old boneshaker have rubbed of the surface rust and treated it with some rayhong rust converter I got of Temu for under a fiver. I have copiously oiled all the moving parts as you can from pics.

I Plan to get some rubbers for one of the pedals and some grips .

Next step is to maybe touch up some of the bare metal areas and put a coat of was on the frame as I want to keep it as original as possible and I think keeping the patina is more in keeping with a sympathetic restoration.

Does anyone know what the best type of wax to use or any other advice?

Regards
I restored a 1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports awhile back, and after reading quite a bit on waxes I was directed to this wax: Renaissance Wax Polish. The reason to use this particular wax is that it does not eventually break down and change it's pH like some automotive waxes, and thus the product info says it can be used on a great many things besides paintwork. Pastorbobnlnh's thread on his Sports restoration is a great resource as well. I used this wax on a wide variety of things outside of the bike world.

I also really encourage you to strip the bike down and clean, inspect, and relube everything and inspect/replace all the bearings if you're going to use the bike at all. Depending on its life, there is probably a good amount of grit/corrosion in the bearing surfaces, and that corrosion and oil will just grind into all the bearing surfaces and cause damage. That includes getting a good cotter press to work on the cottered crank if you don't have one (https://www.bikesmithdesign.com/). I've never had any success using anything but a cotter press in getting the crank cottered unseated or installed properly. The pre-machined Raleigh crank cotters from Bikesmith are great.

If you're mechanically inclined at all, pull apart the Sturmey hub and go through everything. They're actually not that bad at all to work on. There are some good videos on the you-tubes on how to work with Sturmey AW's. The dust seals & loose bearings can use a good grade of grease (but this will eventually dissolve from the oil), but do not use anything thicker than 30 weight motor oil. I learned this the hard way by using too thick of an oil during my rebuild, and had to clean it all back out and use a lighter oil after finding it kept certain things from moving properly at colder temperatures/created a larger amount of drag. The first thing I rebuilt on my Lenton was that front generating hub, and I do remember getting the bearings set right was a challenge (could have just been me though). There looks to be more videos on servicing the GH6 since I rebuilt mine.

And I definitely second the use of Kool-stop brake pads!

Good luck and have fun! This generation of Raleigh's is a ton of fun, and yours is already starting to take shape!
Likes For PlymouthJLA: