Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Less torque question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Less torque question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 01:30 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Less torque question

My torque wrench is broken, I can't set up more than 8nm.
yesterday I removed the crankset for maintenance, now i have this problem with my torque.
Can I ride safe with every bolt (chainring and crank) settled to 8nm instead of the required 12?
Sunday I have a race too, what a bad timing to lose my wrench
Old 03-04-24, 01:33 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
If your torque wrench is broken such that you cannot set it at 12 Nm, how would you know whether the 8 Nm setting is still accurate? Better to borrow another one or to have a shop check the torque for you.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-04-24, 02:06 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If your torque wrench is broken such that you cannot set it at 12 Nm, how would you know whether the 8 Nm setting is still accurate? Better to borrow another one or to have a shop check the torque for you.
Yea u right but I tested and the setting is right. I just want to know if 8nm can be problematic
Old 03-04-24, 02:14 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Yea u right but I tested and the setting is right. I just want to know if 8nm can be problematic
I reckon 50% higher is a big chunk missing
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-04-24, 03:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You aren't likely to have a catastrophe if you torque them to the 8Nm. They very might well loosen up. They might not. If you catch it getting loose quick enough you might prevent damage. Particularly to the crank arm, if these are crank arm bolts.

However you could just go a little bit more. You'll be in unknown territory, but if you aren't ham fisted and are able to tell when the threads are about to strip or the bolt about to break, it's no big deal.

If you take it to that point where the threads start to strip or the bolt begins to stretch and break, well then you better watch out. From that point on there is no fix if it's not a bolt or nut that can be replaced easily. But still, I doubt your bike assplodes and puts you in the hospital.

However, if you are doing this stuff on the bike of some other, you probably better go get a new torque wrench if you don't feel experienced at sensing how tight it is. Especially if you are charging money for the fix.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-04-24 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-04-24, 03:39 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Why not just buy a new torque wrench locally? Auto parts stores, LBS, Home Depot, etc. etc. will have them. FWIW, I use a simple beam-type torque wrench. They're fool-proof and inexpensive.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-04-24 at 03:43 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-04-24, 04:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
If you've been working on bikes for any length of time you should have some sense of what various torques feel like.

After all, torque wrenches don't magically produce torques, you do.

You may not be able to produce exactly 12nm based on muscle memory alone, but should be able to get much closer to it than 8nm. Especially immediately after tightening to 8. Think, tighten to 8nm, then half again more.

Or, tighten to 8nm choking down 1/3rd of the way on the handle, then move to the end and retighten to the same feel.

FWIW, this problem is a perfect example of "over reliance on technology" which is being written about in all kinds areas, from folks who get lost close to home when th we cell phone dies to pilots who can't fly anymore.

Even with my 50+ years experience, I don't claim I can match a torque wrench for b precision, but I can get close reliable, and can use feedback to sense when the numbers are leading me astray.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-04-24 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-04-24, 05:05 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
If torque wasn't important, would you have started this thread?
How much can it cost you if it isn't sufficient? Don't you really want a torque wrench that works? Peace of mind.......
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-04-24, 05:17 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
..... Don't you really want a torque wrench that works? Peace of mind.......
Which brings up a question.

Which is better..... reliably close or unreliably precise?

I'm not arguing against using torque wrenches. But they shouldn't be a reason to not develop hand skills.

Failure to develop decent, though less than perfect, skills puts you in a position analogous to that of the folks who follow GPS navigation apps onto airport runways, into rivers, the wrong way down one way streets, etc.

Good tools are not a substitute for good skills.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-04-24, 05:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Which brings up a question.

Which is better..... reliably close or unreliably precise?

I'm not arguing against using torque wrenches. But they shouldn't be a reason to not develop hand skills.

Failure to develop decent, though less than perfect, skills puts you in a position analogous to that of the folks who follow GPS navigation apps onto airport runways, into rivers, the wrong way down one way streets, etc.

Good tools are not a substitute for good skills.
IF the poster was using a torque wrench on a regular basis, I'd agree. Back when I was working on cars, about the only thing I used a torque wrench on were head bolts and maybe an occasional "odd value" that wasn't in my "torque feel memory list". Now, since I haven't touched a torque wrench in a couple decades, about the only thing I'd trust is spark plugs in the old "iron" engines.
I think a bigger question is "how trustworthy is a Torque Wrench that only goes up to 8, but should go higher"?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-04-24, 05:43 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I think a bigger question is "how trustworthy is a Torque Wrench that only goes up to 8, but should go higher"?
Not a bigger question, it's exactly what I meant by "unreliably precise".

Blindly trusting instruments without a frame of reference to "keep them honest" invites disaster.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-04-24, 06:24 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Use a normal length L allen wrench and tighten quite firmly. Close enough.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-04-24, 06:26 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Amazon had my torque wrench set to me overnight.
Old 03-04-24, 07:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
How did you test? I am confused how that would happen one is broken but some how you were able to confirm it was still calibrated at 8nm.

Regardless you will probably be fine and in the end you can use a properly sized quality hex wrench and tighten it up a little more as needed or I would just go to a bike shop and ask them if you are worried.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-05-24, 01:43 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
Key to accurate torque is using a wrench where the setting is somewhere near the middle 80% or so of the wrench range. Most bike stuff is too low for typical 3/8" drive wrenches, unless labeled as a "microtorque wrench", common in 1/4" drive torque wrenches. Harbor Freight used to (and I think still does) have click-stop torque wrenches, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", often on sale, any for $10 each (at least 5 years ago). (What you can do with chinese slave labor.) I matched the 1/4" one up against an old 3/8" drive micro from a quality company, torques matched (I torqued the two wrenches against each other, both clicked right on). The calibration ring came loose, but I adjusted it to just barely engage the spring when at zero, locked it down, checked again, perfect. Now Harbor Freight's adaptors, like 1/2" female to 3/8" male square, those are junk, but also due to the stress concentration of that particular one; Going the other way, 3/8" female to 1/2" male, not nearly as weak a design.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 03-05-24 at 01:56 AM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 03-05-24, 08:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I got the 1/4 inch Harbor Freight 2-200 inch-pounds torque wrench for my left side Stages power meter crankarm. It uses kg-cm or inch-pounds instead of Nm on it's scale. The scale max is 200 inch-pounds = 22.5 Nm.

The crankarm instructions say 12-14 Nm, so I used 12.5 Nm = 110 inch-pounds.

It's $19 at Harbor Freight. I have a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter that stays on the torque wrench, and a set of Harbor Freight metric hex keys on 3/8 sockets. (I was using a drill-driver bits adapter, but that's harder to use, the hex key bits don't stay in the adapter very well.

I tested this torque wrench against my Park Tool beam wrench that only goes to 7 Nm, and it was quite accurate there. For an acceptable range of 12-14 Nm, the accuracy is more than enough.

I don't need to use this wrench very often, so I keep a hand written card attached to it. The card has the Stages info and a small list of Nm, kg-cm, and inch-lbs in 3 columns. From 4 Nm to 15 Nm. And a note: "store at minimum torque, not at all-the-way-open." "Maintenance: turn knob a few times to re-lube, then operate a few times at a low torque".

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-05-24 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-05-24, 09:03 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
The OP is in southern Italy. He may have tool availability issues regarding reasonably-priced hand tools (e.g., from Harbor Freight et al) that we don't in the US.

We in the US often forget just how lucky we are with respect to such things.

That said: as noted above, as long as you don't go way overboard you're probably OK doing this by feel, particularly once you know what 8NM feels like.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 03-05-24, 09:33 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
This probably won't help because it's probably easier to just get a torque wrench, but one accurate way to measure torque without a torque wrench is to locate a "digital torque socket adapter".

This cool little gizmo fits between any socket and your socket wrench and digitally shows how hard you are pushing.
Old 03-05-24, 06:01 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
If we are talking about Hollowtech II pinch bolts, has anyone every seen one overtightened to where it broke anything? I sure haven't. It is two steel bolts running through a fair amount of threaded aluminum clamping down on a steel spindle. 12Nm is there largely to prevent undertightening - I wouldn't worry much about over - especially if you are using the appropriate length wrench handle.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-05-24, 11:41 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Hondo6
The OP is in southern Italy. He may have tool availability issues regarding reasonably-priced hand tools (e.g., from Harbor Freight et al) that we don't in the US.

We in the US often forget just how lucky we are with respect to such things.

That said: as noted above, as long as you don't go way overboard you're probably OK doing this by feel, particularly once you know what 8NM feels like.
Thanks, I hadn't looked. If they have amazon, there's some deals there on 1/4" drive torque wrenches advertised for bicycle use, with several sockets and extension, $30, assuming they don't have high import taxes on such things.
Old 03-06-24, 12:43 AM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Again, OP should just check where they sell auto parts or hardware. A torque wrench is not really a special tool. Of course, I really don't know if there's any such local store where he lives, but that's my suggestion.
Old 03-06-24, 12:59 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Camilo
Again, OP should just check where they sell auto parts or hardware. A torque wrench is not really a special tool. Of course, I really don't know if there's any such local store where he lives, but that's my suggestion.
3/8" drive torque wrenches, 150 lb-ft range, are very common. Microtorque wrenches in 1/4" or 3/8" are harder to find, at least in the past. But evidently now common on amazon, so I would hope, same in Italy.
Old 03-06-24, 08:34 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Blindly trusting instruments without a frame of reference to "keep them honest" invites disaster.
Exactly right ! what if there's an error in the web page you're using to determine the torque required for a particular fastener / applicationm ?

it HAS happened.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-06-24, 08:52 AM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Why not just buy a new torque wrench locally? Auto parts stores, LBS, Home Depot, etc. etc. will have them. FWIW, I use a simple beam-type torque wrench. They're fool-proof and inexpensive.
+1. Beam torque wrenches don't go out of calibration and are less expensive. Yes, they are less convenient/slower to use with no ratcheting but if just for occasional use you buy once and won't have to worry about accuracy. To torque bolts that need a lot of turning to get to the tight point, just use a regular ratchet wrench and do the final torque with your beam wrench.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-06-24, 10:10 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
+1. Beam torque wrenches don't go out of calibration and are less expensive. Yes, they are less convenient/slower to use with no ratcheting but if just for occasional use you buy once and won't have to worry about accuracy. To torque bolts that need a lot of turning to get to the tight point, just use a regular ratchet wrench and do the final torque with your beam wrench.
Some might argue that the beam torque wrench is actually more convenient for one or two bolts, if used as described above. No need to pre-set the torque on the wrench. Also no need to relax the spring in the wrench when storing it.
Likes For ScottCommutes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.