Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 09:49 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 237 Posts

Struggled with this seatpost for the last month but today victory was mine. Let the rebirth commence!
Old 09-06-23, 08:56 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 2,612 Times in 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by victorm
Struggled with this seatpost for the last month but today victory was mine. Let the rebirth commence!
Good to see you didn't melt it out. Nice paint.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-06-23, 11:37 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Got me a new frame with some "attachments"

Old 09-06-23, 11:46 AM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by victorm

Thinking out loud, are there small ball homes that would clean up old tubes? I have a wire brush I put in drill to clean them up a bit
Old 09-06-23, 02:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 6,497 Times in 3,216 Posts
Almost completed this Falcon I picked up as a frameset. Right from the start, had sorta a tough time installing the headset when the upper race went on smoothly, but I installed it on the bottom of the head tube. Then it wouldn't go on straight after two attempts.

The 1990 Record rear derailleur is also a bit of a pain to setup. It reaches the big 28t cog of the 7-speed easily, but the low limit screw isn't long enough. This model comes with two different sized limit screws, which is weird to see for this old guy.

Left the brake cables long, which really pains my delicate sensibilities, but I'd like to find some 40cm Cinelli bars so I can use a longer 100mm stem and possibly add some Chorus aero levers.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 09-06-23 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-06-23, 04:42 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked 6,403 Times in 3,683 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
Thinking out loud, are there small ball homes that would clean up old tubes? I have a wire brush I put in drill to clean them up a bit
Yes, brake cylinder ones, small diameter.

And oldschool spring loaded stone type as well.
Old 09-06-23, 05:19 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
A cleansing of the brake hoodsand the re-install is complete,and these clips are Christophe that originally had leather, I redid those as well.
Now I need to go to the local tack and saddle and get some matching strap.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 09-06-23, 06:00 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked 2,612 Times in 1,232 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Yes, brake cylinder ones, small diameter.

And oldschool spring loaded stone type as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...a-492657196971
Old 09-06-23, 09:09 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 229 Posts
Hmmm… last time I used one of those was on a 73 Nova. Thought about it a while, dug a bit…..I have one! Tell a garage you want your wheel cylinder reconditioned these days and wait for the laughter to start.
Old 09-07-23, 12:08 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Just finished today: Colnago

I finally got the white Campagnolo cable and housing set and the white bar tape, so I finished off the red / white color scheme. I think this is going to be my primary distance bike for the near future.

White bars tape, housings, and saddle. gotta work on a different front wheel.
Old 09-10-23, 05:22 PM
jim dandy

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
The Litespeed Project-continued

Well,
I’ve been working diligently in the Secret Underground Laboratory on the Ti22(my son named it) … We now have a Roller operating at about 10% Litespeed. I’m waiting on the FY ‘24 budget approval for funding for the cassette, chain,cable set, and handlebar tape …
JD, Dallas

2002 Litespeed Arenberg … in progress
Likes For jim dandy:
Old 09-10-23, 05:57 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked 6,403 Times in 3,683 Posts
Big silver Merz daily driver with worn out 9 speed Campy, changed out bars, stem, cables, brake levers and shifters to analog for the joy that is Eroica.

Dialed, test ridden, locked, loaded and ready? to roll.

Likes For merziac:
Old 09-10-23, 06:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Well,
I’ve been working diligently in the Secret Underground Laboratory on the Ti22(my son named it) … We now have a Roller operating at about 10% Litespeed. I’m waiting on the FY ‘24 budget approval for funding for the cassette, chain,cable set, and handlebar tape …
JD, Dallas

2002 Litespeed Arenberg … in progress
ti-22, the CanAm car that scared McLaren, Chaparral and Lola for the second half of one season and the first half of the next. Then done.
Old 09-10-23, 07:50 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Jeunet

I am currently upgrading a vintage 63 cm French Jeunet Franche Comte. 10 speed. Original lime green paint and decals are like new with minimal fading. I upgraded the cottered crank to a Sugino Mightyand the bars and stem to Chinelli. I spread the 120mm dropouts to 126 and the steel wheels were replaced with Mavic open Pro rims, Schwalbe delta cruiser 700 x 28 tires, and an Ultegra front and Dura Ace rear hub. currently I have a 11 x 28 seven speed hyperglide free hub at the back. I took the fork into the Bike exchange Saturday to try and straighten the chrome fork but upon closer inspection realized that the blades weren't bent . it was the steer tube. No way to fix it so I rumaged around in our fork collection and found a new unicrown fork that fits and is much lighter as well. Only problem is that it is red. I decided to paint it silver metalic and did that today. It looks much better that the red one with the lime green metalic. This has brought up a new dilema . The beutiful Mafac brakes from the Jeunet no longer work. I substituted some Shimano RSX dual pivot calipers and now all is good. I will save the Mafac levers, with their excelent condition half hoods for something else. The bike has morphed from a vintage with a few upgrades to now a complete custom. I will probably add aero hoods and bar end shifters to complete the resto mod look.The Suntour arx long cage rear derailleur doesn't like shifting the 7 speed cassette so I may change it out with a shimano rsxand see if that works better. As soon as I have it all together I will post some pics.

News Flash

I also picked up a Bertoni Saturday. curently it is hanging in the garage. will start in on it when the Jeunet is done.

9/19/23

Well, the Jeunet is done.
By the time I finished with it I had replaced everything but the frame . It went from a heavy bike boom drop bar 10 speed to this , a 63 cm, 27.5 lb. classic looking city bike with 700 c tires, light weight rims, dual pivot brakes, a springer saddle, 14 speed indexed drive train, and upright bars. Pics were taken in the parking lot of the Bike Exchange in Palo Alto.

P.S.

Does anyone know if this old frame pump is rebuildable. The seal on the plunger is wasted . I looked but couldn't see how to take it apart. For now it is just for looks. I have it's twin in the shop and would love to make it functional again.

Last edited by capnjonny; 09-19-23 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-11-23, 04:37 PM
jim dandy

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
ti-22, the CanAm car that scared McLaren, Chaparral and Lola for the second half of one season and the first half of the next. Then done.
Repechage,
Here you go …
could be Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, Riverside … My best guess
JD, Dallas

Old 09-11-23, 10:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Repechage,
Here you go …
could be Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, Riverside … My best guess
JD, Dallas

I never got to see it run. The build was amazing to see. Bryant showed off the secret design weapon when my father caught it, the underside of the chassis was very close to the ground up front and rose up to the rear, creating downforce at speed due to the vacuum created. Not Fan car amounts, and no skirts but really made a rethink of the rear spring rates to contain the force.
I do not think the high wing really was beneficial. Outlawed soon enough.
I was handed a suspension arm, totally expecting a heavier part, amazingly light.

I appreciated that the rule book was looked at as something to be read and worked around. No CFD, just smart hunches.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-13-23, 07:32 PM
greenscobie86
Steel IS Real

Bikes: Vintage italian stuff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
I finally got the white Campagnolo cable and housing set and the white bar tape, so I finished off the red / white color scheme. I think this is going to be my primary distance bike for the near future.
White bars tape, housings, and saddle. gotta work on a different front wheel.
Love the triple front setup!
Do you like the Panaracer Gravelkings? (it looks like they're Gravelings from what I could see...)
Old 09-14-23, 05:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts

Very cheap and low end lemond tourmalet. Had to remove a bad rivenut. Got the 8 speed brifters working but the left one is not responding. Besides I hate the gear ratios it calls for on the crank. I'll put something else on and use a barcon on the front. I will say for 525 it's fairly light. This might make a nice fair weather ride.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 09-16-23, 06:42 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,019 Times in 1,786 Posts
This morning I just fixed one minor issue with the Motta. It was only setup for one bottle cage which is a problem for me. I need two on almost all my rides and hate carrying one in my jersey pocket.

So this morning I took a couple of the Velo Orange cage clamps and mounted a second one while also swapping out the other one so I have a matched set on it. I always take precautions to keep these clamps from marring the paint. Today I took of piece of the soft rubber Bontrager finishing tape and cut it to size to line the inside of the clamps. Then I put more tape on the clamp area of the bottle cage. Mounted it with the same pink bolts I used for the other bottle cage. Looks ok but would have blended in better if the clamps were black. I may need to move it up just a tad if it interferes with removing the back tire but for now it's staying there.

Yesterday I finished sorting out the old Merlin. New shift cables and swapped saddles and seat posts. The shifting of the long cage MB RD is lazier than I like on the test stand but seemed to actually work ok on the ride yesterday. The Wickwerks 53/34 chainrings work flawlessly as is always the case when I put them on a bike. Oh and matching bottle cages on this one too with red bolts to accent the other red on this bike and make it not quite so boring looking.

Old 09-17-23, 06:21 PM
leftthread

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Overhauled the headset on a recent find.
Early 80's Schwinn mtb. Steerer tube is marked Ishiwata and it has Suntour forged dropouts so I'm wondering if it was made in Japan.
Old 09-18-23, 12:30 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Back to the scrap yard for this one. Top tube is dented and bent. But everything else was salvageable. I may try and roll out the dent for S+G's. And now I've got a full LX group to play with.
Old 09-18-23, 01:07 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 846 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
This morning I just fixed one minor issue with the Motta. It was only setup for one bottle cage which is a problem for me. I need two on almost all my rides and hate carrying one in my jersey pocket.

So this morning I took a couple of the Velo Orange cage clamps and mounted a second one while also swapping out the other one so I have a matched set on it. I always take precautions to keep these clamps from marring the paint. Today I took of piece of the soft rubber Bontrager finishing tape and cut it to size to line the inside of the clamps. Then I put more tape on the clamp area of the bottle cage. Mounted it with the same pink bolts I used for the other bottle cage. Looks ok but would have blended in better if the clamps were black. I may need to move it up just a tad if it interferes with removing the back tire but for now it's staying there.

My 1972 Raleigh Pro has no bottle bosses (or even bottle middle managers), so everything has to be held on with clamps. When I installed the seat tube bottle cage, I ran into the same problem - the clamp bolts did prevent the removal of the rear wheel. And with my frame size (20.5/52), moving upward wasn't an option. So I had to swallow my pride a bit and use (egads) stainless hose clamps, but with the clamp screw offset to the side above the front derailleur where it isn't so clunkily obvious. But it works.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 09-18-23 at 01:14 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-18-23, 03:40 PM
leftthread

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
...I'm wondering if it was made in Japan.
Nope, a Giant-made frame; the date of manufacture is the same month and year I graduated from college.
Old 09-18-23, 05:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,019 Times in 1,786 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
My 1972 Raleigh Pro has no bottle bosses (or even bottle middle managers), so everything has to be held on with clamps. When I installed the seat tube bottle cage, I ran into the same problem - the clamp bolts did prevent the removal of the rear wheel. And with my frame size (20.5/52), moving upward wasn't an option. So I had to swallow my pride a bit and use (egads) stainless hose clamps, but with the clamp screw offset to the side above the front derailleur where it isn't so clunkily obvious. But it works.

Yep, over the years I've used hose clamps more than once. They work just fine too and like you say, can be positioned out of the way.
Old 09-19-23, 10:26 AM
KiwiAmerican
KiwiAmerican

Bikes: 1993 Specialized RockHopper Comp. 1992 KHS Montaña Pro. 2018 Cannondale CAAD 12. Raleigh Seneca Mnt Tour.1987 Nishiki Prestige. 1993 GT Karakoram.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
Another 90’s Mnt Bike Project

Have been hovering over this guy for a few months. I was tempted by condition and price even though it’s not an entirely novel bike. Super happy with it upon pick up. I already have a faithful steel mnt do-it-all so not sure what direction I’ll go with this. Still needs to be cleaned, gutted, greased, and replace consumables before I get there. Any ideas are welcome!
Likes For KiwiAmerican:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.