Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: '83 Specialized Expedition 60cm

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 08:43 PM
Iowhat

Bikes: Centurion Pro Tour ('81), Specialized Stumpjumper ('82), Raleigh Portage ('84), Specialized Expedition ('85), Specialized Allez SE ('85), Miyata Ridge Runner SE ('85.5), Fuso ('86), Novara X-R ('87), Peugeot Chorus ('88), Moots Mooto X YBB ('11)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

SOLD!
(Leaving post here for future reference)

For Sale: 1983 Specialized Expedition
Asking $875
Local pickup near Tucson, and I am willing to meet within 1-hr drive of Tucson. Will ship to USA only (lower 48 states), but be advised shipping rates are currently high (expect $150-$200).
Accepted payments: cash (USD), Venmo, CashApp, PayPal, Zelle

Size: 60cm
Seat Tube: 60cm (c-t-c)
Top Tube: 58cm (c-t-c)
Stand over: ~86.5cm (34”)

This bike is in very good condition overall with very low usage. No dents or rust. Only a few small scratches/scuffs and possibly one barely-noticeable touch-up spot on seat tube done by original owner years ago. Frame and fork are in excellent shape, the metallic slate gray paint is in very good condition. The decals are in good condition, the tubing decals are slightly faded. The major components are all original to the bike and show little wear. I stripped the bike down to the frame and cleaned and hand polished everything, lubed bearings and replaced consumables. See the full list of components below.

I acquired this bike about 8 months ago from the original owner. He bought it at a local shop in Tucson, so its entire life (so far) has been in a rust-free area. The owner had 5 bikes he used for commuting, touring, and training, which is the reason this one had such low wear and tear. I have not ridden it much – just a few times to test everything when I finished the clean-up and replacement of consumables. The bike rides smoothly, shifting and braking are accurate, the headset, pedals, and bottom bracket are smooth. The replacement Dia-Compe brake hoods and Soma bar tape look and feel good.

If you've been looking for a classic 1980s steel touring bike in very good condition, here it is! Feel free to ask questions. More photos available upon request.

Components
Frame – Specialized Special Touring Series double-butted chromoly, Shimano dropouts (60cm)
Fork – Specialized CrMo blades and steerer, cast crown
Headset – Specialized channel-seal (steel)
Handlebar – Specialized M1 (42cm, w/new Soma Thick & Zesty silver tape)
Stem – Specialized S2 stem (120mm)
Brakes/Levers – Shimano Deore XT (BR-MC70) with SunTour Superbe levers (w/new Dia-Compe hoods and Velo Orange brake cables/housing)
Seatpost – SR CT-P5 Laprade (black fluted)
Saddle – Avocet Touring I
Crankset – Sugino AT triple 28/44/48, 175mm
Bottom Bracket – SunTour sealed
Pedals – MKS Sylvan Silver w/Specialized toe clips and new MKS black leather straps
Derailleurs – SunTour Mountech front and rear
Shifters – SunTour Symmetric friction (w/new Velo Orange cables/housing)
Freewheel – SunTour New Winner Ultra-6 (13,15,17,20,24,30)
Hubs – Specialized Sealed low-flange 36-hole front, 40-hole rear
Rims – Wolber Super Champion #58
Tires – Panaracer Pasela PT 700x35c (new w/new tubes)
Other Stuff: comes with original front/back Jim Blackburn racks, three ‘original to bike’ Specialized 6.2 water bottle cages, original internal wiring for Sanyo Generator, original shifter and brake cables/housing, spoke reflectors, and original (used) white ribbon handle bar tape and plugs that came on the bike.

Last edited by Iowhat; 10-29-23 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Sold
Likes For Iowhat:
Old 10-05-23, 07:48 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Wow.
Very classy, fully serviced and ready to go!
Would be hard to put together a ride like this for the asking price.
Old 10-05-23, 07:50 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
What a beautiful bike! I’m going to pretend this doesn’t fit me (it definitely doesn’t fit in the stable ).

GLWS!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 10-06-23, 01:50 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Even though I'm plenty set on touring bikes with my ST1000, these Expeditions always pique my interest. Luckily, they're always 60 or 65cm, and I'm more of a 62*.

* - I typed that, then went to bikeinsights, and the 60cm Expedition's geometry is very close to the 25" ST1000. Luckily, I don't have the space or the money for another bike.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 10-06-23, 03:31 PM
Iowhat

Bikes: Centurion Pro Tour ('81), Specialized Stumpjumper ('82), Raleigh Portage ('84), Specialized Expedition ('85), Specialized Allez SE ('85), Miyata Ridge Runner SE ('85.5), Fuso ('86), Novara X-R ('87), Peugeot Chorus ('88), Moots Mooto X YBB ('11)

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
mountaindave - it sure looks like you NEED an '80s touring bike in your stable! Ad it to your Specialized collection!
Old 10-09-23, 04:44 AM
SalemCycles

Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, '70 Raleigh Superbe, No-serial Mandaric 80s MTB turned klunker, '96 Rocky Mountain Hammer, '75 Sekine fixed conversion, Bertus Bakfiets

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Goodness, that's pretty! Shipping to Canada didn't get cheaper to balance a rise in shipping down there, did it?
Old 10-09-23, 05:55 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
BEAUTY!!! I have the same size, slightly modernized, and it's simply an awesome bike that never disappoints... (to anyone on the fence). Good luck with the sale.