Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Skidding w.out foot retention ?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Skidding w.out foot retention ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 04:59 PM
IamNed

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro, 1995 Bianchi Premio, 2014 Bianchi Pista Fixed Gear, 1994 Bianchi Timber Wolf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Track standing is easier without foot retention, and I do more of that than I do skidding. But, I can track stand, and I can't skid. I've done both straps and clips and decided that I prefer the MKS metal clips to go with my MKS pedals.
Old 10-16-14, 05:06 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by IamNed
Track standing is easier without foot retention.
This makes absolutely no sense. At all.
Old 10-16-14, 05:09 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
+1
Old 10-16-14, 05:19 PM
IamNed

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Sempre Pro, 1995 Bianchi Premio, 2014 Bianchi Pista Fixed Gear, 1994 Bianchi Timber Wolf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Sure it does. Learning to track stand with straps or clips results in more un-needed falls. I can more easily track stand without being clipped or strapped in, and get my foot on the ground easier if needed. There is no benefit to being strapped in track standing at a traffic light. Straps and clips get in the way. As I approach a light that I intend to track stand at, I un-clip or un-strap my feet.

I keep clips on because coming to a stop is easier with retention, confidence on hills, and for high cadence. Some day I might accidentally skid. Don't need retention for track standing.
Old 10-16-14, 05:25 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Hey, whatever version of "fixie logic" you choose to believe is cool with me. I've got burritos to eat.
Old 10-16-14, 05:39 PM
murrellington

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you meant to say learning to track stand without retention is easier. Not that track standing in general is easier without retention. I agree its easier to learn without it so you don't fall a lot. All you gotta do is let your straps hang down when practicing
Old 10-16-14, 05:55 PM
IamNed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm having a chili dog to help me see the flaws in my logic. I always have trouble seeing my flaws for some reason. I must be new to the interwebs.
Old 10-16-14, 06:46 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Track standing is easier without foot retention
Having learned to track stand on a Velodrome: properly cleated/strapped-in, likely before your parents were out of diapers, I disagree.
> 40 years on riding FG on the road: same, same.

Riding FG w/o proper foot retention is just plain stupid, as is running brakeless.
As always (Over 18 Adults) do as you please.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 10-16-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-16-14, 07:41 PM
mixedfix

Bikes: KHS Gran Sport fixed gear conversion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stryper
Don't listen to the negative Nancys. You don't need foot retention.

If you want to skip without it, you can use the first skid I learned. Ted Shred himself taught me this before I had foot retention. He called it the Jamaican skid. Simply put your forward foot under the pedal and pull up with it while you push down with the rear foot.

This sounds like a horrible idea, not to mention virtually impossible to develop a quick reflex for.

Originally Posted by stryper
The pedals are moving away from your shins at that point. You'd have to be pretty bad at bikes to hurt yourself like this.

He has said numerous times that he is new.

Originally Posted by inCOGneto
I personally don't understand how anyone can ride with straps. first of all they are freaking ugly in my opinion and I would imagine it harder to get your foot out in a emergency.

You get used to it, but yeah they're ugly as hell.

I bike to work everyday and sometimes I see this kid on my route who rides a SS without foot retention or brakes. Notice I said single-speed and not fixed gear; he definitely has a freewheel and I have seen him coast. I have also seen him stop traffic because he just weaves in and out of everything and doesn't pay attention to things like red lights. I have never actually seen him stop his bike.

I kind of want him to get hit by a car.

Last edited by mixedfix; 10-16-14 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-16-14, 07:41 PM
IamNed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandera
likely before your parents were out of diapers
You are going to have to be damb old.

Falling into the path of car or truck doesn't happen very often on a velodrome. If you fall it's no big deal. Falling on a street because you are strapped in at a stop light is plain stupid.
Old 10-16-14, 08:15 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Falling into the path of car or truck doesn't happen very often on a velodrome. If you fall it's no big deal. Falling on a street because you are strapped in at a stop light is plain stupid.
Falling anytime, even on a velodrome, hurts and is not fun. The only reason to do a trackstand on the road is to avoid having to unclip and then clip back in again. If you are going to unclip whenever you stop or ride w/o foot retention, then you might as well just put one foot down at a stop and not even bother with a trackstand.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 10-16-14, 08:25 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I can skid without foot retention. I just apply the rear brake a little harder than normal.

Of course, I'm not one of the cool kids when it comes to FG.

But I did learn how to track stand with toe straps. Although that was on an actual track, which I gather is also not cool on the FG forum.

I do have a beard, though. Which is cool, I think. Except it's mostly grey now. Which isn't. Or something.

How about that new Hozier album?
Old 10-16-14, 08:59 PM
Bandera
~>~

You are going to have to be damb old.

Iam indeed elderly but also quite wise to cycling FG in various environments, including the road, with a wide variety of equipment over the decades.

If you are concerned with "Falling on a street because you are strapped in at a stop light" you may wish to consider a method of foot retention recently introduced in the mid-1980's: Clipless pedals. A very good technology: easy in/out and quite reliable retention for the hardest efforts. Try it if you continue to ride a bicycle in future before moving on to the inevitable "next thing".

Not being "stupid" is indeed something one must strive for, good luck w/ that. We look forward to your progress.

It is also obvious that you have never been on a Velodrome if you think that "If you fall it's no big deal", it's not quite like that at all. There is however a way to find out. For those who just imagine what it is like to actually ride a FG bicycle in competition on the track I encourage all to join a club and have at it, very enlightening. You may also learn the why/how of actual trackstands. Most likely not......

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 10-16-14 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 02:11 AM
Ictoanta

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As I approach a light that I intend to track stand at, I un-clip or un-strap my feet.
But... why would you track-stand at a traffic light, if not to avoid having to un-clip/strap?

O.o
Old 10-17-14, 03:55 AM
IamNed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks folks, track standing is fun, with or without retention or clipped in, and it is more fun and safer for me without it. It's given me something to learn in my old age. I realize and accept that I'm not cool because I use a fixed gear track bike for fun and errands. As old as I am, its not too late for me to come around to the real fun of putting my foot down at a traffic light or wearing special shoes to go to the grocery store half a mile away or to ride exclusively on velodromes. I'll get it eventually.

Old people having fun and un-clipping at a traffic light while track standing and not skidding to the stop...ouch. It's like what we did to facebook, right?

I am IamNed
Old 10-17-14, 04:47 AM
Ictoanta

Bikes: Fuji Feather 2015; Electra Rally Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks folks, track standing is fun, with or without retention or clipped in, and it is more fun and safer for me without it. It's given me something to learn in my old age. I realize and accept that I'm not cool because I use a fixed gear track bike for fun and errands. As old as I am, its not too late for me to come around to the real fun of putting my foot down at a traffic light or wearing special shoes to go to the grocery store half a mile away or to ride exclusively on velodromes. I'll get it eventually.

Old people having fun and un-clipping at a traffic light while track standing and not skidding to the stop...ouch. It's like what we did to facebook, right?

I am IamNed
Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy doing it, keep it up. However, if you're still learning to track stand, with or without foot retention, the traffic light might not be the best place to practice... (I wouldn't want to be next to you ) But hey, I can't track stand (or skid) at all, so regardless of how you pull it off, kudos to you!
Old 10-17-14, 03:35 PM
tombc

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Having learned to track stand on a Velodrome: properly cleated/strapped-in, likely before your parents were out of diapers, I disagree.
> 40 years on riding FG on the road: same, same.

Riding FG w/o proper foot retention is just plain stupid, as is running brakeless.
As always (Over 18 Adults) do as you please.

-Bandera
Many of your posts are condescending as hell FYI
Old 10-17-14, 04:14 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by tombc
Glad that you are following along so closely, very flattering.

What then is your opinion regarding "Skidding w.out foot retention"?

-Bandera
Old 10-17-14, 04:25 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like your condescending/ sarcastic responses to idiotic questions like "skidding without foot retention"

Keep up the good work #Bandera
Old 10-17-14, 04:51 PM
tombc

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Glad that you are following along so closely, very flattering.

What then is your opinion regarding "Skidding w.out foot retention"?

-Bandera
The antagonistic attitude in this sub forum is typical, but having a lot of firsthand information is not. It makes me want to disregard the information in your posts, which would otherwise be much better than the average response. So I guess it's an extra stinger? Do as you please.

I tend not to weigh in on questions like this because I think most of the denizens of Bikeforums would learn a lot if they rode their bikes instead of posting asking questions about what it's like riding bikes. But, since you asked: having ridden fixed gears with zero to two brakes and with and without foot retention (except the brakeless one), I find I can skid alright on my currently preferred platform pedals without applying the brakes. I never really do because it's a waste of tires. I have found one brake and no foot retention to be about as safe as anything, but the brake track on the front wheel is worn out after only about a year, so I'm gonna stick with two brakes. I rode with straps until getting some dr. martens that didn't fit in my clips while I was away in Portland, so I took em off and found I could do everything just about the same. I never really stand up to pedal uphill or sprint, and haven't ever found my feet to just fly off. I do prefer to rest my feet on the downtube and coast downhill since I work on top of a huge long one.

I encourage anyone confused on this topic to ride their bike until they arrive at their own conclusion which will probably be unique to them. I am 24. Sorry for being rude in my previous post, it wasn't any better.

Last edited by tombc; 10-17-14 at 04:52 PM. Reason: paragraph breaks
Old 10-17-14, 05:26 PM
Bandera
~>~

The antagonistic attitude in this sub forum is typical, but having a lot of firsthand information is not. It makes me want to disregard the information in your posts, which would otherwise be much better than the average response. So I guess it's an extra stinger? Do as you please.

I tend not to weigh in on questions like this because I think most of the denizens of Bikeforums would learn a lot if they rode their bikes instead of posting asking questions about what it's like riding bikes. But, since you asked: having ridden fixed gears with zero to two brakes and with and without foot retention (except the brakeless one), I find I can skid alright on my currently preferred platform pedals without applying the brakes. I never really do because it's a waste of tires. I have found one brake and no foot retention to be about as safe as anything, but the brake track on the front wheel is worn out after only about a year, so I'm gonna stick with two brakes. I rode with straps until getting some dr. martens that didn't fit in my clips while I was away in Portland, so I took em off and found I could do everything just about the same. I never really stand up to pedal uphill or sprint, and haven't ever found my feet to just fly off. I do prefer to rest my feet on the downtube and coast downhill since I work on top of a huge long one.

I encourage anyone confused on this topic to ride their bike until they arrive at their own conclusion which will probably be unique to them. I am 24. Sorry for being rude in my previous post, it wasn't any better.
Thanks for a well reasoned response.

I agree that there are those who cycle and those who type about it, two very different experiences, and only one produces credible opinions on cycling.
Having been at this FG on the road thing for a good many decades now I do have two serious suggestions for you to consider as you go about this activity.

A) "I never really stand up to pedal uphill or sprint, and haven't ever found my feet to just fly off."

You are severely limiting your power output, the natural and effective technique is to stand to apply grunt as necessary whether getting off the line at a stop light or climbing a grade. Bad technique here, the power is free why not use it? Proper foot retention will keep the "hamster-on-wheel" effect at bay. Having it turn into the dreaded "Cuisinart Pedals of Doom" is great way to injure oneself needlessly. Sprinting is the apogee of track racing and fun for FG on the road, proper foot retention is required to make it work at the requisite RPM, that's just how it is.

2) "I do prefer to rest my feet on the downtube and coast downhill since I work on top of a huge long one".

I hope that you are joking, that is an excellent way to get badly hurt and have a truly epic wreck. A brake or two and proper foot retention really are required for FG road riders when descending as is control of the machine with feet on the pedals, hands on the bars and butt on the saddle as you encounter potholes and road debris. It's not a carnival ride, unless you make it one.

When the Fixie Fad fades serious club riders and the fans of obsolete equipment will keep on doing what they have for over a century, riding FG on the road.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
aero-clubman-drawing.jpg (93.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 10-17-14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-17-14, 05:36 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You lose internet points for putting up a drawing of an internally geared hub bike.

Here's my British style fixed gear touring bike.

Hopefully everyone will note the toe straps and the two brakes...
Old 10-17-14, 05:45 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Six jours
You lose internet points for putting up a drawing of an internally geared hub bike.

Duh, thank you (wrong pic).
That is a proper gentleman's machine: here's mine and Beryl Burton doing a FG/TT as an apology.

-Bandera
Attached Images
Beryl_Burton_FG.jpg (14.1 KB, 34 views)
Fixed_Trek.jpg (62.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-17-14, 08:35 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours

Purdy
Old 10-19-14, 12:55 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a FG without foot retention

Often ride in sandals

Can confirm still alive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.