Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gloves for numbness in hand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-19-21, 05:54 AM
Daniel 62
Old Peddler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I'm looking for fingerless gloves with the gel padding in the Ulnar nerve area.
Anybody have any experience with Pearl Izumi Elite?
Or another proven brand? My budget is $50.
thanks for any suggestions.

Dave
Old 09-19-21, 06:45 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 245 Posts
I think though gloves might help, though possibly the solution is different bars and bike fit. I can't ride with flat straight bars for long at all without hand numbness issues later that night. Too much support on the hands because of fit or flexibility-balance issues can also cause hand issues.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-19-21, 06:45 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use Pearl Izumi Elite gel gloves. The padding is good. I don't have any numbness. You might want to check your position too. Move the pressure points around.
Old 09-19-21, 07:20 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
agree with response so far. change positions
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-19-21, 07:57 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 819 Posts
I pad my bars. https://www.bikeforums.net/21354043-post9.html
Old 09-19-21, 08:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6063 Post(s)
Liked 4,694 Times in 3,238 Posts
The issue might be how you hold on to the hoods or where you put your hands. My palms are on the sides of my hoods. Just the web between thumb and forefinger and the pad of my thumb on the top of the hood.

Also I've been finding out lately that a good bend in the elbows moves a lot of forces from the hands to be absorbed and shared elsewhere. However it takes a while to get use to keeping that bend. Many probably won't like it at first especially if in that mindset that one must have to have a relaxed position.
Old 09-19-21, 09:12 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 405 Posts
Ensure weight is on the heels of your palms, like when you do a push-up.
Old 09-19-21, 09:48 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 334 Posts
I used to buy Pearl Izumi Elite Gel. I liked them at the time, but the padding flattens out quite soon. I switched to Giro Strade Dure Supergel last year, and they fit my hands very well. Pretty durable, they are more than a year old and still good. My local bike shop has them. I like that the hiviz is on the top and on the palm side for signaling turns.
I had to try on different gloves brands. Some just didn't fit me at all.

Fitting:
Reducing excessive hand pressure on the bars will help a lot. I really like this easy test to see if the saddle and bars are set correctly: Set saddle fore-aft position.

I have my bars set high enough that I can use the drops comfortably. It's a huge help to be able to switch back and forth between drops and hoods. Riding in the drops helps a lot on rough roads, spreading the force over my whole palm. And the aero benefits are nice, of course. In the drops, my back and core are carrying a bit more of the load, instead of my arms and shoulders doing all the work.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-19-21 at 09:57 AM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 09-19-21, 10:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
This is the opposite of what you have in mind, but I'm riding Giro Zero CS gloves currently. They have as little padding as I've been able to find while still wearing gloves, which lets me get the "signal" to move my hands ASAP.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-19-21, 01:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 799 Posts
My usual bar tape is 2 mm thick with minimal cushioning, and I like long fingered gloves with little or no padding. I am susceptible to numbness in my hands/fingers. I have spinal and shoulder issues that are just things to deal with. Gloves that are too tight and/or have more than minimum padding make the numbness/tingling happen quicker and more severe. Summer gloves are good it they are tight, but quite stretchy and allow moisture exchange. I change position on the bike quite a bit, and I stop more often, even if just for a moment or two. For me, those short moments add up to a more comfortable, enjoyable ride.

Finding gloves that I like, at a price I am willing to pay, Is easy, I buy from various etail and retail sources. IME, even cheap ones have good durability.
Old 09-19-21, 02:13 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This is the opposite of what you have in mind, but I'm riding Giro Zero CS gloves currently. They have as little padding as I've been able to find while still wearing gloves, which lets me get the "signal" to move my hands ASAP.
I am currently wearing the same style of gloves, and for similar reasons.

In response to some hand numbness issues, I've been trying some things with bike adjustment and some aspects of how I ride. I thought that glove padding (which I had previously been using) might complicate that process by sorta-kinda concealing problems.

If I reach a point where I think I have things really sorted out, I might try padded again to see if that makes things even better.
Old 09-19-21, 04:40 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 324 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I use simple non padded gloves but I also took the drastic measure of installing a Jones Bar
Old 09-19-21, 05:17 PM
jolly_codger

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 63 Posts
I found that a Hot Glove Sting Pad Pro for each hand did the trick. These are meant to be used for baseball mitts, but if you look at Amazon you'll see that they have been adapted for other uses like under cycling gloves. I ended up hooking them on my thumbs and other than feeling squishy at rare
times, they have been a God-send. At $18 for two it's worth a try.
Old 09-19-21, 05:24 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9439 Post(s)
Liked 6,236 Times in 3,436 Posts
Since you have flat bars, ignore the comments about bar tape, bar padding, hoods, etc. get a pair of bar ends made for flat bars, and use those to change positions occasionally.

And, the PI gloves you mentioned make a difference to me.
Old 09-19-21, 05:59 PM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 45 Posts
Good comments. Something I learned years ago is that I am in the habit of shaking hands out every 10 minutes or so. Use different hand each time I pull the water bottle, and switch hand position often.
Old 09-19-21, 06:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I really like this easy test to see if the saddle and bars are set correctly: Set saddle fore-aft position.

I have my bars set high enough that I can use the drops comfortably. It's a huge help to be able to switch back and forth between drops and hoods. Riding in the drops helps a lot on rough roads, spreading the force over my whole palm. And the aero benefits are nice, of course. In the drops, my back and core are carrying a bit more of the load, instead of my arms and shoulders doing all the work.
Excellent video. When I found and watched it a while ago, it helped me realize that I had my saddle too forward. This one is also pretty good.

Old 09-19-21, 06:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
Good comments. Something I learned years ago is that I am in the habit of shaking hands out every 10 minutes or so. Use different hand each time I pull the water bottle, and switch hand position often.
When I stop at a red light, I shake my hands and clap my palms together.
Old 09-19-21, 08:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,368 Times in 2,798 Posts
I think a better way to ask the question would be…Those of you who have experienced numb hands, what solutions have you found to eliminate it?

I have this issue now in my “molden” years - never an issue before. I have tried various recommended gloves as well added more padding to the bar and found there is no silver bullet other than moving your hand position and/or resting your hands when on the drops more on the outside of your palms toward the side of my hands.

If others who have the same issue have that silver bullet, I would surely like to know. Note, I will not get rid of my drops.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-19-21 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 11:50 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 924 Posts
Back in 2012 I got my left hand crushed in a 1920s service elevator. No bones were broken, but there's nerve damage.

Since I've been using drop bars, I have a gel pad under the bar tape and then the Planet Bike Taurus gloves. Beyond that- changing hand positions and distributing weight are the most important. I generally ride with my palm on the corners- then move around to the ramps, tops and hoods.

If you're using flat bars, I'd think about bar ends and/or those 'Ergon' paddles. That would allow you to spread the weight across your palm instead of being concentrated in that one "bar." Additionally, the bar end allows for several different types of grip.

something like this:

And the Planet Bike gloves I've been using (BTW- the "Kevlar" thing is not solid or particularly rigid- my guess it's there for scuff protection if you fall):

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 09-20-21 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-20-21, 12:14 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
So, I'm firmly in the camp of bike fit and weight balance, rider flexibility, and proper hand position are the primary ways to reduce any perceived hand discomfort when riding. The last thing is too much tension in the upper body through the cervical spine, and too tight of a grip. These contribute directly to tingling and numbness in the hands. The impingement is on the nerves as they pass from the spinal column down to the hands themselves. This is very often overlooked.

Relaxed upper body and light hands.
Old 09-20-21, 12:33 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 644 Posts
Another "jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick" thread...gloves are not a solution

You have a bar or fit problem, like many here I can't ride flat bars no matter whether I have ergon's or not the sweep just isn't right. If you really want to keep flat bars look for bars that have more sweep they look a whole lot of dumb but they work. If your saddle isn't level you need to figure out why whether you ride leather (which every oldster thinks is the cure for everything) the saddle needs to support your weight tilt in any direction puts pressure on your taint or hands (and no you shouldn't need padded anything to ride).
Old 09-20-21, 01:09 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Back in 2012 I got my left hand crushed in a 1920s service elevator. No bones were broken, but there's nerve damage.

Since I've been using drop bars, I have a gel pad under the bar tape and then the Planet Bike Taurus gloves. Beyond that- changing hand positions and distributing weight are the most important. I generally ride with my palm on the corners- then move around to the ramps, tops and hoods.

If you're using flat bars, I'd think about bar ends and/or those 'Ergon' paddles. That would allow you to spread the weight across your palm instead of being concentrated in that one "bar." Additionally, the bar end allows for several different types of grip.

something like this:

And the Planet Bike gloves I've been using (BTW- the "Kevlar" thing is not solid or particularly rigid- my guess it's there for scuff protection if you fall):

I have those exact handles. Like them
Old 09-20-21, 01:28 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Ride a unicycle. Guaranteed no hand problems.

In a similar vein, pull on the handlebars. Parking weight on the ‘bar will always cause problems. If you must rest weight on hands change hand positions frequently. Mix up those position changes with episodes of pulling on the bars. Parking weight compresses joints and nerves. Pulling on the bars opens up space in the joints.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 09-20-21, 11:31 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
See your doc. I had a numbness that started along little finger and progressed to radiating up to elbow. Then I started losing strength and had arm weakness. A lot of tests revealed a pinched cervical nerve. PT and changes like not tiding with a backpack let me recover 75% in about 6 weeks and almost back to 100% within a year. The PT saved me. My neurologist was pushing for a spinal fusion surgery.
Everyone’s case is unique and yours might be completely different.
Likes For raceboy:
Old 09-21-21, 07:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ I agree wholeheartedly with these last two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.