Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bikes gloves saving my skin (again)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 04:24 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Rainy up here this past weekend. Rode conservatively on all descents, but then in the final miles back home, I lost my mind in trying to catch a right turn stoplight before it changed, and took a low-speed spill (braked pretty well in the midst of the skid, fortunately).

Managed to have my full-finger glove take the brunt of the skid. My hand was completely unscathed, albeit sore for a day. I also somehow managed to give myself a small patch of thigh road rash without tearing the bib, but that's already healing well.

Without the glove, that would have been a pretty nasty road rash burn on my palm. These gloves were pretty thick, good, newish gloves and the skid put a small rip right through the padding on the landing spot.

I also managed to motivate and bought a small sewing kit and sewed the hole up nice and good with black thread. I'd recommend it if you tear your glove - if you put enough passes into the repair, it seems very strong, and was a good rescue of an otherwise fairly new $70 bike glove that's now back in functioning order.

Thumbs up for gloves for skin protection.
Old 12-03-12, 07:27 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is the real reason to wear gloves. Not comfort while riding, but in case of a crash. Same thing with motorcycles.
Old 12-03-12, 07:33 PM
BoomMcNasty
AngelmanSyndrome.org

Bikes: 2013 CAAD10 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like these and you can't beat the price.

https://www.mechanix.com/the-original-vent-covert-glove
Old 12-03-12, 08:25 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not convinced the glove saved your hand from a rash. Just like when a cracked helmet makes people think it saved their life when it probably didn't do anything.
Old 12-03-12, 08:34 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Gloves and helmets work.

I was riding behind a motorcycle when the bike went down.

The rider slid on the asphalt at 45 mph on his hands and knees.

Loaned him my gloves for his trip home.

Old 12-03-12, 08:40 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimmer
I'm not convinced the glove saved your hand from a rash. Just like when a cracked helmet makes people think it saved their life when it probably didn't do anything.
And this is based on what? You really believe that scraping your hands across asphalt and gravel without gloves is just the same as with gloves? Same thing for the helmet.
Old 12-03-12, 08:51 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, odds are my hand would have come out unscathed when it took the brunt of the blow and tore a hole in the friggin' thick padded part. Right.
Old 12-03-12, 08:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Were you wearing a base layer?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 12-03-12, 09:04 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
And this is based on what?
That's what I said.

You really believe that scraping your hands across asphalt and gravel without gloves is just the same as with gloves? Same thing for the helmet.
I'm not convinced a little hole in the gloves saved his hands from getting hurt. You can't prove it did. If his hands did get hurt then boo hoo hoo. I've scraped my hands on asphalt plenty of times as a kid from running.
Old 12-03-12, 09:08 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you know how much force it takes to tear the padded section of a cycling glove? This isn't some tiny tear in the thin section - this is a rip through the padded section of the faux-leather reinforced part of good, $70 Gore bike gloves.

Given that my thigh was scraped and that took much less impact than my hand, I estimate I'd have shredded most of my palm if I wasn't wearing gloves. It wasn't a high speed slideout, but it was at least 15mph. You DEFINITELY want gloves for anything like that.

I never go riding outdoors without gloves anymore for this reason - although this is the first time I've actually fallen mainly on my hand hard enough to tear the palm section.

Last edited by hhnngg1; 12-03-12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:18 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just let him think what he wants.

Hopefully he doesn't wear helmets or gloves.
Old 12-03-12, 09:28 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
Just let him think what he wants.

Hopefully he doesn't wear helmets or gloves.
You're right. I know better than to feed the trolls, but sometimes I do it anyway
Old 12-03-12, 09:41 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm more concerned about fractures and torn ligaments and such than a little baby boo boo on my hand. I feel gloves reduce my hand coordination thus puts me at higher risk for accidents. Quite funny you now think they're a miracle item just because of a tear lol.
Old 12-03-12, 10:51 PM
hhnngg1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm more concerned about fractures and torn ligaments and such than a little baby boo boo on my hand. I feel gloves reduce my hand coordination thus puts me at higher risk for accidents. Quite funny you now think they're a miracle item just because of a tear lol.
Yeah, tough guys like you don't mind when you lose the entire layer of skin off most of your palm because it's a little baby boo boo. Methinks you haven't even ridden enough to really know what a real spill feels like.

Yet despite your toughness, you somehow have 'reduced coordination' because of several mm of fabric between you and the bar?? How uncoordinated are you?

(I do enjoy the trolls at times.)
Old 12-03-12, 11:43 PM
TheOtherBob

Bikes: 2012 CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Watch out, guys, this dude looks tough.
Old 12-03-12, 11:46 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I wear long finger gloves, even in the summer. Skin the tips of your fingers once and you'll realize just how often something contacts your fingertips. Typing is also difficult with either bandaged or raw fingertips. On the plus side if you do skin the tips of your fingers you can commit a crime or two and not leave fingerprints behind.
Old 12-03-12, 11:46 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Rainy up here this past weekend. Rode conservatively on all descents, but then in the final miles back home, I lost my mind in trying to catch a right turn stoplight before it changed, and took a low-speed spill (braked pretty well in the midst of the skid, fortunately).

Managed to have my full-finger glove take the brunt of the skid. My hand was completely unscathed, albeit sore for a day. I also somehow managed to give myself a small patch of thigh road rash without tearing the bib, but that's already healing well.

Without the glove, that would have been a pretty nasty road rash burn on my palm. These gloves were pretty thick, good, newish gloves and the skid put a small rip right through the padding on the landing spot.

I also managed to motivate and bought a small sewing kit and sewed the hole up nice and good with black thread. I'd recommend it if you tear your glove - if you put enough passes into the repair, it seems very strong, and was a good rescue of an otherwise fairly new $70 bike glove that's now back in functioning order.

Thumbs up for gloves for skin protection.
I did something similar Saturday morning, and I think my gloves helped (although they weren't full finger. I actually pulled off a full belly flop onto the blacktop and apparently hydroplaned a bit, because despite hitting the ground with my chest, belly, both arms and both legs, I ended up with almost no road rash... just a sprained thumb, bent shifter and bent pedal.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-04-12, 12:32 AM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

gloves work, The last time i rode without gloves involved me sliding out on gravel and loosing a big chunk of my palm, still have scars and a slight dent 4 months later. I have a feeling had gloves been on my hand, my hand would have been in much better shape.
Old 12-04-12, 01:55 AM
Taipei325

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP...thanks for sharing your story. It's a situation we've all been in, especially on the way home. Where I ride, I climb up 1100 meters over a mountain and go back down the other side...ride a coastal area for a while, then back over the mountain. That means the last portion of my ride, when I'm tired, is all downhill, and very often wet. It's easy to get going at little too fast for the conditions and have something like you experienced. I agree, the gloves certainly helped a lot. I can't see the downside of gloves, other than my tan lines, and certainly if I go down, they can help protect a very sensitive part of the body!
Old 12-04-12, 10:13 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Went down in the wet a few weeks ago. Managed to do what I preach, which is hold onto the bars and go down with the bike. Hands on hoods, so lost a little material off the back of the glove, a little tearing of the outer clothing, some road rash under. Shorts and jersey weren't torn, though. It's amazing how one can get road rash under untorn clothing. We were only doing about 15 mph on our tandem. Stoker had about the same damage. Tegaderm fixed everything.

But the reason I bother to post this comment is that my most serious injury was from my wedding ring. It was trapped between the asphalt and brifter for a moment and made a deep cut in my finger, plus squashed the ring some. Luckily, not too bad, was able to get the ring off, not a lot of blood. Finished the ride. Probably should have had a stitch or two, but made do with butterflies. Anyway, I put it on my pre-ride list to leave the wedding ring at home. Could have lost my finger or had it become unusable. So, yes gloves, no rings.
Old 12-04-12, 02:05 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The 41 has reached a new level of stupidity.
Old 12-04-12, 02:28 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
The 41 has reached a new level of stupidity.
No, it's just him.
Old 12-04-12, 03:37 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
... I'm not convinced a little hole in the gloves saved his hands from getting hurt. You can't prove it did. If his hands did get hurt then boo hoo hoo. I've scraped my hands on asphalt plenty of times as a kid from running.
I'm guessing you probably hit your head on on asphalt a number of times too...
Old 12-04-12, 03:44 PM
miwoodar
Fast for a sloth

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I wear long finger gloves, even in the summer.
Me too. I'm happy to shred those rather than my fingers/palms.
Old 12-04-12, 06:58 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
No, it's just him.
This.

Rimmer, please continue to not wear a helmet or gloves. Be sure to flex at people as you pass them on the MUP, just so they know how tough you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.