Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dave Scott Centurion Ironman?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 02:09 PM
ArgoMan

Liked 37 Times in 32 Posts

So, can anyone provide info about the old "Dave Scott Centurion Ironman" frames? Thanks!
Old 12-10-23, 02:42 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Liked 4,117 Times in 1,988 Posts
What info are you looking for? They are generally well regarded around here. Classic 80's paint jobs. The "Master" models had 600/Ultegra. The "Expert" models had 105. Most, if not all? had Tange tubing for the frames. Plenty of threads here cover these bikes, old Centurion catalogs are available online.
Old 12-10-23, 03:51 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by SoCaled
What info are you looking for? They are generally well regarded around here. Classic 80's paint jobs. The "Master" models had 600/Ultegra. The "Expert" models had 105. Most, if not all? had Tange tubing for the frames. Plenty of threads here cover these bikes, old Centurion catalogs are available online.
Thanks. I was surfing Ebay and came across some. I recall them from years back. I think a friend of mine had one back in the mid-80's. he was nuts about his. I'm always looking to pick up a nice frame at a nice price and build it up. I love older steel, but I want to make sure it's a quality frame. My research leads me to believe they are nice.
Old 12-10-23, 03:53 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Liked 6,877 Times in 3,931 Posts
Here's your thread.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs! - Bike Forums

Old 12-10-23, 04:10 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
I don't ride anymore, but this is one I'd like a kaputt frame of hanging on my wall.
Old 12-10-23, 04:16 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,192 Times in 4,256 Posts
Lots of advice in C&V. I suspect rear spacing likely to be 126mm so that may be an issue for rear wheel. Do you plan to build up with classic “period correct” parts or 21st century modern gear?
Old 12-10-23, 05:00 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
Rather timely .... https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...keted-tri.html
Likes For Garthr:
Old 12-10-23, 07:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,363 Times in 6,325 Posts
I saw one on one of our monthly C&V rides, and decided I wanted one. Then one in my size popped up on Craigs List, for what seemed a reasonable price. Mine's a 1985, which I've kept in as close to original spec as possible. That said, I think it would be really nice with updated kit. It's comfy, fast, looks good, and yes, is made of Tange steel.

It's 6-speed, so, yeah, 126mm rear spacing. Maybe all of the Ironman models would be 126. But apparently cold setting to 130 is straightforward and shouldn't affect the durability of the frame. Just have it done by somebody who knows what they're doing, so that the dropouts stay aligned and all.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-10-23, 07:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
"Marketed as tri" because the forerunner of the modern tri bike was only created the previous year and was anything but widespread.

Just as a fun bit of history.
Old 12-10-23, 08:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,722 Times in 4,295 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
So, can anyone provide info about the old "Dave Scott Centurion Ironman" frames? Thanks!
It is one of the most documented and discussed frames on this forum.
Google will reveal days and days of reading content.
Old 12-10-23, 09:30 PM
ArgoMan

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Great! I'm going to jump over to the C&V forum and get some insight! Thanks!
Old 12-11-23, 07:06 AM
wheelreason

Liked 710 Times in 418 Posts
Decent if uninspiring frame with road geometry despite it's namesake....
Old 12-11-23, 07:11 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista Vitus 979

Liked 6,877 Times in 3,931 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
Great! I'm going to jump over to the C&V forum and get some insight! Thanks!
Here is the other Ironman thread that you want to check out. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...on-thread.html

Old 12-11-23, 10:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by wheelreason
Decent if uninspiring frame with road geometry despite it's namesake....
What other geometry should it have had at the time? Tri bikes were road bikes back then. I am no historian, but have read that QR released the first major/mass Tri bike in '89 and from there, design moved drastically away from typical road geometry.
And it was a Tange 1 frame...pretty light for that time.

Yeah it isnt anything like what we think of for a tri bike now, but it was a popular bike with triathletes at the time.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-11-23, 11:28 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Liked 4,117 Times in 1,988 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Here is the other Ironman thread that you want to check out. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...on-thread.html
Wow, RobbieTunes really did a service with that thread and then having all the info in a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1927924249 next level. thanks for the link
Old 12-11-23, 11:29 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
what other geometry should it have had at the time? Tri bikes were road bikes back then. I am no historian, but have read that qr released the first major/mass tri bike in '89 and from there, design moved drastically away from typical road geometry.
And it was a tange 1 frame...pretty light for that time.

Yeah it isnt anything like what we think of for a tri bike now, but it was a popular bike with triathletes at the time.
lol.
Old 12-11-23, 12:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

lol.
There are 4 or 5 comments in that post- are you lol'ing to all of them?
Old 12-11-23, 01:26 PM
wheelreason

There are 4 or 5 comments in that post- are you lol'ing to all of them?
1,5, and 6.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 12-14-23, 01:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
What other geometry should it have had at the time? Tri bikes were road bikes back then. I am no historian, but have read that QR released the first major/mass Tri bike in '89 and from there, design moved drastically away from typical road geometry.
And it was a Tange 1 frame...pretty light for that time.

Yep, LeMond was just introducing the world to cli-on bars when this bike was new.
Old 12-15-23, 07:59 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Yep, LeMond was just introducing the world to cli-on bars when this bike was new.
Yes, and these bars Lemond was introducing, were they clipped to his road bike or one specifically designed with geometry for riding alone?

Old 12-15-23, 11:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 12,363 Times in 6,325 Posts
Yes, and these bars Lemond was introducing, were they clipped to his road bike or one specifically designed with geometry for riding alone?

Were they riding those in triathlons? Because watching video from the 1989 Ironman championship, they all look like standard roadbike format with a variety of aerobars, and certainly not Funny Bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-15-23, 03:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

What % of triathletes in the US were riding bikes designed around 650c front wheels back in '86? What % were riding cutting edge bar desigbs that only the most elite of participants had access to?
What about in '87?

At that point in time, from what I have seen, 650c front wheel bikes with disc rear wheels were ridden by pros in time trials, like at the TDF.

I don't associate that to how most triathletes rode or owned.
I mention those years because those were popular years for the Centurion Ironman bike, the Miyata 912, and other tri branded bikes from Peugeot, Nishiki, Schwinn, Raleigh, and many more.
Old 12-15-23, 05:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts

Just googled the images myself and you're right. That's what he was riding. Poor example on my part, but it does seem (like others mentioned) that the triathlons did not immediately follow suit.
Old 12-16-23, 07:24 AM
wheelreason

My point being that the Dave Scott Centurion Ironman (or wahtever it's official name was) was a repainted exiisting Centurion road frame marketed to triatheletes (that spelling can't be right, but since lazy is my point here...), at a time when bikes specifically designed for time trialing had existed for several years. I did a few tris back then, and did fairly well. Does anyone remember the Cinelli LA 84 bars?...
Old 12-16-23, 08:29 AM
seypat

Liked 2,583 Times in 1,535 Posts
My point being that the Dave Scott Centurion Ironman (or wahtever it's official name was) was a repainted exiisting Centurion road frame marketed to triatheletes (that spelling can't be right, but since lazy is my point here...), at a time when bikes specifically designed for time trialing had existed for several years. I did a few tris back then, and did fairly well. Does anyone remember the Cinelli LA 84 bars?...
Not true. Maybe you should read one of the IM threads. It was a stand alone model that evolved from other models. In 83, 84 the upper part of Centurion's lineup consisted of the Elite RS, the Comp TA and the Turbo. For 85, the Comp TA frame was changed some and became the IM. The Turbo was gone and the Prestige with Tange Prestige tubing was the top model. Same for 86. Never seen an 86 Prestige in the flesh. The Prestige was dropped in 87 with 2 levels of IM. One with 600 components and one with 105. The IM models even differed between the Asian and US markets. The Asian IM had/has a lugged fork crown. The US is a unicrown. Even stranger, if you see a Centurion funny/TT bike from that time period, those appear to be made by a German/European company.

Last edited by seypat; 12-16-23 at 08:32 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.