Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Beer Hauling Trailer Ver. 3.0

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 04:37 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Ver. 3.0" of the beer hauler

A couple of minor and major revisions.

Basically, the problem is that we took on a new customer, a good customer, should be worth some serious coin to the business. They order a lot of stuff six days a week, one of which is a 20 litre keg of beer. Most every day they order a 20L keg, a case of large bottles of beer, and 6 large bottle or sake/shochu mixed. I cannot easily fit that on the trailer without some stacking, which is not the best idea, as all of this stuff is heavy.

You can see the problem, the trailer is too narrow by about 10 cm:confused:

I also wanted to deal with my ground clearance problem, the tail end hits the ground on several places around my deliveries going over curbs and such, I figure another inch or so will give me more than enough clearance, but not compromise my low slung stability.

cont....
Old 03-09-11, 04:38 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love my SawsAll

Once taken apart, I then figured that 59 cm would be good, I measured all the products I would take on deliveries, and just to be safe, I added another 2cm to make the new size of the carrying area 61cm, it was 49cm.

some clamps, and some wooden spacers to keep things inline and I was ready to go.

some of the bottom tube done. I put a piece of 3mm thick flat bar on each side of the tube, tacked it in place, then I carefully fitted a new piece of square tubing in there and welded it all up.

Old 03-09-11, 04:39 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There it is mostly welded up, I have some minor stuff to add, some tabs for a few things and such, but that is the bulk of the job

As I said, I had a slight ground clearance problem but no more....

That is over 4" of ground clearance, that should do me just fine :thumbsup:

Next up.....

... yep, fenders, I have done some deliveries in the rain, and those wheels throw a LOT of water. The near fender is done, the other one is just sitting there, you see I ran out of wire.....

.. I knew I should have ordered a big spool, but I thought this little one would do.... well, after one fender set done, I was right out of wire uch:
Here is a good picture showing how much the trailer has grown.....

that is the old floorboard.

My next idea is to make some signage on the trailer sides, something like this.....

That is just cardboard, but I bought some of that board that looks like cardboard in it's construction, but is plastic. I will attach it to the trailer with some zip ties and a couple of bolts/screws. I'm only going to put the name of the liquor shop with our logo and a area.

Once I get some more wire, I'll finish up, then I'll use it for a week or two and if I'm happy with it, I'll paint it.

Cheers!
Old 03-09-11, 05:12 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lookin' good.
Old 03-09-11, 09:20 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the trailer out of the Dungeon for it's maiden flight today!!

I've not done the sign boards yet, that will come later.

The first delivery, it was a bit light, and in about 10 seconds I stopped and moved the load around, that full keg of beer at the back was lifting my rear wheel off the ground if I was not sitting on the bike

One thing that I did was to move the wheels forward about 10cm, this is because the trailer is heavy on the front, due to the tongue, by moving the wheels forward, I think I can load the trailer with a neutral balance, more easily. One other problem that cropped up is that the strap I'm using to tie stuff down does not work so well any more with two items side by side at the back, so I'm going to put two sets of hooks, so I can put two straps side by side....

... of course I'll leave the front to back strap as well, this will give me more options.

It all went well today, not a heavy load, but heavy enough, I could feel that the trailer was heavier, but that is OK. I'll do a few more mods, run it as it is for a week or so, then paint it. Painting it is a big job, I have to set up a paint booth in my enclosed space, and it is not fun. Maybe I'll take the frame of the trailer up onto the roof and paint it up there I'll have to get a nice sunny day, with no wind

I saw a sign on the back of a kyubin truck today, saying the truck was natural gas powered (or LPG...?) and it also had the idling stop thing, so it was not doing a simple "Delivery/配達中" but an "Eco-Delivery/エコ配達中" I figure that I can put a sign on the back of my trailer saying "Healthy Delivery/健康配達中" (kenkou haitatsuchu) or maybe katakana would be better...? Might be really strange Japanese.....
Old 03-09-11, 10:07 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work indeed. I so wish I could weld!

With my shopping trailer I had to to do the opposite: make it narrower so it'd fit through the house doors, but I don't carry anything nearly as heavy/bulky.

What are the cables for? A handbrake?

Adam
Old 03-09-11, 10:08 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Very nice! What's the total cargo weight? Weight limit estimate is...?