Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant agrees to sell kids and mountain bikes at Dick's-owned specialty stores

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Giant agrees to sell kids and mountain bikes at Dick's-owned specialty stores

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 01:21 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I remember their higher to mid range stuff having the goofiest stem containing hydraulic fluid so instead of using full cables or going for the early but existing Shimano hydro STI levers they did something on their own which was quite silly and unneeded.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My 2019 Defy Advanced Pro has a slightly quirky box stem design with integrated brake hoses which is not the most elegant solution, but otherwise works fine and the frame is as good as anything else in it’s class. I noticed they redesigned the stem a couple of years later and the revised version looked much neater.
HyRd brakes also use a mechanical/hydro hybrid as did Giant with its proprietary Conduct brake system---the difference being the Hy/Rd worked really well and Giant's system maybe not so much.

(https://trpcycling.com/product/hy-rd/) "Using an open hydraulic system it’s compatible with Shimano and SRAM 11 speed road shift levers. For compatibility questions contact us to ensure this caliper will work with your existing levers."

(https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct) "The key to the Conduct hydraulic brake system is its cable-actuated master cylinder. This unique design is integrated into the faceplate of the stem. It's a clean setup that combines the simplicity of mechanical disc brakes with the power and smooth feel of hydraulic. It's easy to install, too. There's no need to replace your mechanical brake lever or handlebar tape - simply shorten your current cable housing, then mount the new master cylinder on your Giant Contact SL or Contact stem."

Maybe Giant had a contract for a lot of Shimano mech STI levers but wanted to sell disc bikes? Still I wouldn't put Giant down for just that one choice.

At least with its prior (bike-shop level) offerings, Giant usually offered about the same level of features for a little less money than Trek/Spec/C'dale ... IMO.
Old 02-15-24, 04:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
HyRd brakes also use a mechanical/hydro hybrid as did Giant with its proprietary Conduct brake system---the difference being the Hy/Rd worked really well and Giant's system maybe not so much.

(https://trpcycling.com/product/hy-rd/) "Using an open hydraulic system it’s compatible with Shimano and SRAM 11 speed road shift levers. For compatibility questions contact us to ensure this caliper will work with your existing levers."

(https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/showcase/conduct) "The key to the Conduct hydraulic brake system is its cable-actuated master cylinder. This unique design is integrated into the faceplate of the stem. It's a clean setup that combines the simplicity of mechanical disc brakes with the power and smooth feel of hydraulic. It's easy to install, too. There's no need to replace your mechanical brake lever or handlebar tape - simply shorten your current cable housing, then mount the new master cylinder on your Giant Contact SL or Contact stem."

Maybe Giant had a contract for a lot of Shimano mech STI levers but wanted to sell disc bikes? Still I wouldn't put Giant down for just that one choice.

At least with its prior (bike-shop level) offerings, Giant usually offered about the same level of features for a little less money than Trek/Spec/C'dale ... IMO.
Fortunately my Giant is post this brief era, which was just a bodge for use with cable brifters. My 2019 Defy just has fully hydraulic Shimano 105 R7000.
Old 02-15-24, 09:09 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts

The Hy/Rds are excellent brakes, fully mechanical till you get to the caliper. Works a treat doesn't look atrocious but the Conduct just couldn't hang. It was just a goofy set up and not one that made sense. Hy/Rds came out in 2013 without all the faff and complication and if memory serves TRP/Tektro made the brakes for them anyway.

The return on their stuff for more service was greater than other bikes that we sold. That is not a good thing.
Old 02-15-24, 01:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,840 Posts
The Hy/Rds are excellent brakes, fully mechanical till you get to the caliper. Works a treat doesn't look atrocious but the Conduct just couldn't hang. It was just a goofy set up and not one that made sense. Hy/Rds came out in 2013 without all the faff and complication and if memory serves TRP/Tektro made the brakes for them anyway.
As far as I know ... Hy/Rd are TRP. I have them on an MTB and absolutely great.

The return on their stuff for more service was greater than other bikes that we sold. That is not a good thing.
I have never heard a good thing about the Conduct brakes. Or did you mean All Giant bikes, in general, had more failures.

Not arguing what you say, just seeking clarification. If it was all Giants, what was going so wrong?

(Never owned a Giant, just did research because they were in the running for an N+1 ... nearly bought @PeteHski 's Defy ...... Also looked at a Fastroad and (I think) an Allroad, which was sort of a gravel bike back then. Seemed like good stuff, but went with a Fuji instead.
Old 02-15-24, 03:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
As far as I know ... Hy/Rd are TRP. I have them on an MTB and absolutely great.

I have never heard a good thing about the Conduct brakes. Or did you mean All Giant bikes, in general, had more failures.

Not arguing what you say, just seeking clarification. If it was all Giants, what was going so wrong?

(Never owned a Giant, just did research because they were in the running for an N+1 ... nearly bought @PeteHski 's Defy ...... Also looked at a Fastroad and (I think) an Allroad, which was sort of a gravel bike back then. Seemed like good stuff, but went with a Fuji instead.
Yes the Hy/Rd are TRP but I think TRP also made the Giant brakes.

All Giant bikes especially their lower end bikes had more problems then similarly spec'd bikes from other manufacturers. Plus their proprietary stuff is ridiculous, seat posts but racks were proprietary mounting back in the day and their rack didn't look great.
Old 02-15-24, 04:29 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Dick's is dying here. When they pulled semi auto rifles and cancelled orders for both guns and ammo already ordered. They pissed off a lot of people, Then a lot of gun manufacturers quit selling to them. Two locations have went under . Their Field and Stream store is now a Sportsman's warehouse. In this area without hunting and fishing stuff they can't maintain
Old 02-15-24, 04:44 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12789 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Dick's is dying here. When they pulled semi auto rifles and cancelled orders for both guns and ammo already ordered. They pissed off a lot of people, Then a lot of gun manufacturers quit selling to them. Two locations have went under . Their Field and Stream store is now a Sportsman's warehouse. In this area without hunting and fishing stuff they can't maintain
Maybe dying there, but I doubt the board cares...

DKS
$170.18 USD
+40.17 (30.90%) past year
Old 02-16-24, 06:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I worked with Giant bikes from 1992 to 2022 and never found them to be more susceptible to problems than the other brands we handled including Specialized and Trek, except for one specific model named Chinook, aka sh**hook. the brakes howled something fierce and we were able to quiet some of them, and not the others. As for proprietary parts, every brand has their collection of proprietary stuff (most of it unnecesary) and that is all I will say about that.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-18-24, 07:45 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 49 Posts
Whenever I want to feel I old, I just remember when Dick's only had two stores...

At any rate, the only real worry I would have is Giants deciding any cost cutting methods they use on the bikes that get sold there would all of the sudden seem like a good idea to use on bikes that are more up-market. Keep the price the same, use cheaper methods, and boom, you just increased your profit margin! Overall negative for the consumer
Old 02-18-24, 09:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I worked with Giant bikes from 1992 to 2022 and never found them to be more susceptible to problems than the other brands we handled including Specialized and Trek, except for one specific model named Chinook, aka sh**hook. the brakes howled something fierce and we were able to quiet some of them, and not the others. As for proprietary parts, every brand has their collection of proprietary stuff (most of it unnecesary) and that is all I will say about that.
That's a useful (and more believable) counterpoint.
Old 02-20-24, 02:54 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

A-ha! Now I see why Giant is going to be in Dick's Sporting Goods stores. The GT deal ended at the end of 2023!

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...oots-ibd-brand
Old 02-20-24, 04:14 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Yes the Hy/Rd are TRP but I think TRP also made the Giant brakes.

All Giant bikes especially their lower end bikes had more problems then similarly spec'd bikes from other manufacturers. Plus their proprietary stuff is ridiculous, seat posts but racks were proprietary mounting back in the day and their rack didn't look great.
Almost purchased a Toughroad a few years ago. It had the Conduct brakes on it. While I thought that it was interesting how this was setup, I wondered about it's longevity. Shortly afterwards, Giant stopped producing the Toughroad and the Conduct brakes seemingly disappeared. I only guessed they were not that great of brakes or too expensive to produce. Sounds like they were a pain to repair and am betting parts are almost non existent now. Glad I passed.

Although, my current Giant is nice bike and haven't had anything real to complain about except the cheap wheelset it originally had.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 02-21-24, 08:14 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
If I get a couple of kids from Dick's, do I have to send them to school, or can I have them do chores all day every day? What about flipping them?...
Old 02-21-24, 10:26 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
I think we all need some perspective. Dick's has 797 locations. The deal we are discussing is to sell Giant bikes at 25 specialty shops owned by Dicks, but not even called "Dick's". Perhaps there are 25 local bike shops in the world that might lose a sale here or there over this, but the other 99% of the world simply doesn't care.
Old 02-21-24, 10:38 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I think we all need some perspective. Dick's has 797 locations. The deal we are discussing is to sell Giant bikes at 25 specialty shops owned by Dicks, but not even called "Dick's". Perhaps there are 25 local bike shops in the world that might lose a sale here or there over this, but the other 99% of the world simply doesn't care.
OH that's right the Giant deal is for Public Lands only. So I guess DSG stores will only have Nishiki and Schwinn after the remaining GT stock sells out.

Perhaps the Public Lands/Giant deal is sort of a trial run to see if they want Giant bikes in DSG stores.