Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Basso Gap from approx 2000?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 06:02 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

Hey all, I am usually pretty good at finding info online... not finding a bunch on the Basso lineup after the 1992 catalog scans... I used to own a pretty sweet mid-tier yellow Basso five or so years ago. Now I have a chance to buy a Gap. Just wondering if the late Gap models still had some nice tubing and characteristics. Not sure why it has 105/Ultegra mix unless either the owner bought it as a frame or perhaps there was a Ti model above it at this point.

Any info helps!
Likes For tronnyjenkins:
Old 11-16-21, 06:31 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,127 Times in 1,967 Posts
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins
Hey all, I am usually pretty good at finding info online... not finding a bunch on the Basso lineup after the 1992 catalog scans... I used to own a pretty sweet mid-tier yellow Basso five or so years ago. Now I have a chance to buy a Gap. Just wondering if the late Gap models still had some nice tubing and characteristics. Not sure why it has 105/Ultegra mix unless either the owner bought it as a frame or perhaps there was a Ti model above it at this point.

Any info helps!
Thinking it is 2001-2002. Gap had dropped lower in the lineup by then. But they DID have the Titanium model as well.

After steel goes away, I get confused!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 11-16-21, 11:41 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Is that a lugged BB shell and fillet brazed elsewhere? What would be the reason for that?
Old 11-17-21, 07:52 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Originally Posted by sincos
Is that a lugged BB shell and fillet brazed elsewhere? What would be the reason for that?
I was wondering the same thing! I almost thought it was something besides steel until I saw the lugs and some oxidation by the cables.

I believe it is actually a 1998 frame based on the sole other photo I found of one with these decals. By a member here, naturally. He didn’t reply to my message yet though.
Old 11-18-21, 07:52 AM
tronnyjenkins 

I did find this. Not an official source, only a forum. Still worthwhile to update the thread for future lurkers.

I read up a bit in regard to why the Gap was fillet brazed up top with cast lugs on the bottom bracket and dropouts. I believe this was the Gap in the final year that model was offered (2002/2003). It was offered in this metallic steel gray, and a metallic blue. Basso used to use all Columbus steel, and this year they were using "Basso Tube Concept", which was a blend of Columbus and Dedacciai tubing. Perhaps there weren't lugs that fit the combination properly. Either way, the mixture rides beautifully and is pretty to look at.”

Obviously if the frame I’m asking about is a 1998, some of the info could be slightly off.
Old 11-18-21, 03:41 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Well, I picked up the Basso. It was not in as good of a condition as the photos made it seem. I told the guy thanks for his time but he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

I might try my hand at painting the top tube only. I recently painted my front bumper with automotive paint, primer, and clear so with the primer and clear I have left I should be able to get my supplier to match it fairly close. Honestly it might even look better to me without the decals in the top tube.

The other option is to strip and paint the whole bike with new decals… not sure I’m feeling that though. This is just one I’ll ride for a bit and then sell. Just a fun project.

Hopefully I can find these missing shifter caps/name plate things.

Old 05-14-22, 05:28 AM
tronnyjenkins 

I ended up painting the top tube and rebuilding it. I actually prefer it without the (ugly) top tube logos. Now I get to sell it before an upcoming move, lol. Rides nice though!
Oh yeah, and it’s probably a touch small for me. Don’t judge my saddle height.

Old 05-14-22, 07:57 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
tronnyjenkins I seem to recall seeing the shifter top caps at an online supplier. Probably Universal Cycles since they are my go-to for consumables.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 05-20-22, 08:01 AM
Tuberoast

Bikes: 1998 Basso Gap , 1991 Trek 750, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2017 Trek Madone 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
My Gap, which is the same paint/graphics as yours, is a 98. I like the way you painted out the graphics on the top tube, the original is pretty busy looking.