Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

? RE: “matched” center pull brake set with unequal reach ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 07:25 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts

Don’t know for sure if this thread belongs here in C & V or Bike Mechanics but I’ll start here. One of my Winter projects is an 1980 Schwinn LeTour 10 speed. I have a separate thread for it but this question may be more general in nature. The bike had languished in a state of partial disassembly for many years. I was pretty sure that I had all of the OEM components but they were in different parts boxes in my shop. I had what I assumed to be the OEM “Schwinn Approved” (Weinmann vs DiaCompe?) center pull brake set. Part of the refurb project included complete disassembly of each brake caliper for an intense “fluff & buff” as there was some surface corrosion on the ferrous parts and the aluminum had dulled quite a bit.
Anyway, finally completed both calipers and installed them on the bike. I had kept all of the parts for each caliper in separate trays during the clean up process so each was reassembled as they came from the factory. I don’t know why I hadn’t noticed it before but once they were mounted on the bike and I was admiring how nice they looked , it became obvious that the “reach” on the front caliper was considerably longer than that of the rear caliper . Is this possibly correct? I’m pretty sure that they are the OEM calipers. The brake pads are all the same brand, style and color. I have other center pull caliper sets in my brake parts box. One set, DiaCompe branded with matching pads is the same way, one caliper long reach the other short. Another set, “Schwinn Approved” has equal reach for each caliper.
So I guess my question is, “is it possible for a bike to be “spec’d” with front and rear calipers that differ in their “reach”? I do suppose that frame size and style i.e. touring vs racing, could make a difference. Also, placement of the brake attachment strut between the seat stays could require a shorter reach. I would just like to know if it’s normal . Any thoughts, opinions or even actual facts?
Old 03-11-22, 07:29 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Yep. I've had several '70s road bikes that came with a Weinmann 610/750 combo. I think the longer reach is usually the rear.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-11-22, 08:13 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,382 Times in 3,669 Posts
Especially Schwinns, sometimes.
Old 03-11-22, 08:20 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
It's not unusual at all. For example, the Universal 61 brakes on my Frejus have a front reach of 49-60mm and a rear reach of 56-72mm.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...70e67&Enum=117
Likes For Choke:
Old 03-11-22, 08:21 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Yep. I've had several '70s road bikes that came with a Weinmann 610/750 combo. I think the longer reach is usually the rear.

Originally Posted by merziac
Especially Schwinns, sometimes.

Yes to both.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 03-11-22, 08:39 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I can't say about whether the front or rear allows more clearance. But if you have a set of wheels, pop them on the frame and measure the distance from the brake track to the brake caliper hole, or just bolt on the calipers both ways and see what works.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 03-12-22, 08:37 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
There was another thread not too long ago that touched on this same thing. Can't remember what it was.

My Raleigh Super Course came with a 750 rear/610 front. I had to go to a 750 up front when I went to 700c wheels.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-12-22, 09:38 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
+1 on BFisher Exactly my experience on several 700c conversions. Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 03-12-22, 10:24 AM
sovende

Well, it is good to know that brakesets with unequal reaches was not uncommon . My mind is now somewhat at ease. A few replies suggested that the longer reach was usually on the rear caliper. My set on the ‘80 LeTour appears to be the opposite but it is POSSIBLE that somewhere along the process, the mounting bolt arrangements were swapped. The DiaCompe set I mentioned in my OP (assuming the mounting bolts are with the correct caliper) would have the longer reach caliper on the rear. Placing wheels on the frame to see which configuration is best does seem to be the most reasonable solution and is what I will do!

I do have a related question. Is there a significant difference in the mechanical advantage of long reach vs short reach calipers that would necessitate the use of straddle cables of different lengths? On the aforementioned DiaCompe brakeset, the long reach caliper has a much longer straddle cable. However, on the Schwinn Approved / Weinmann set on the LeTour, the straddle cables are of equal length. While I’m definitely not a mechanical engineer, I do suspect that, theoretically, different lengths of these components make a difference but is there any real significance? I do suppose that this question might belong as a separate thread in the Bike Mechanic section of the forum .
Old 03-12-22, 01:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 2,528 Times in 1,058 Posts
Agree with all of the above, especially Choke's comment about the difference in reach in Universal 61 brakes, which went along with some influential Italian frame builders BITD insisting on building their frames to fit comparatively short reach front brakes and comparatively long reach rear brakes. But I have never seen a frame, Italian or otherwise, built to take longer reach brakes in the front and shorter reach brakes in the back. That certainly does not prove that it never happened, but it it is strong evidence that it was not the norm.
Old 03-12-22, 04:46 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Agree with all of the above, especially Choke's comment about the difference in reach in Universal 61 brakes, which went along with some influential Italian frame builders BITD insisting on building their frames to fit comparatively short reach front brakes and comparatively long reach rear brakes. But I have never seen a frame, Italian or otherwise, built to take longer reach brakes in the front and shorter reach brakes in the back. That certainly does not prove that it never happened, but it it is strong evidence that it was not the norm.
I have one of those abnormal bikes. My 1972 Fuji came to me without brakes. As it was built for 27” wheels, and I wanted to run 700 c to mimimize the number of tires/wheels I knew I’d need some long reach brakes so I built it up with Tektro 559s . As it turned out, the rear pads are at the shortest possible adjustment. The front pads are 12 mm lower. Same rims on front and rear. One of these days, I’m gonna have put a shorter brake on the rear. Every time I look at the bike, the pad level difference looks like there’s something out of adjustment
Old 03-12-22, 04:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
So I guess my question is, “is it possible for a bike to be “spec’d” with front and rear calipers that differ in their “reach”? I do suppose that frame size and style i.e. touring vs racing, could make a difference. Also, placement of the brake attachment strut between the seat stays could require a shorter reach. I would just like to know if it’s normal . Any thoughts, opinions or even actual facts?
Yes, that was pretty common BITD. The rationale went something like this: the longer reach caliper has less mechanical advantage, so putting it on the back reduced the likelihood of locking up the wheel with hard braking.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-13-22, 06:38 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, that was pretty common BITD. The rationale went something like this: the longer reach caliper has less mechanical advantage, so putting it on the back reduced the likelihood of locking up the wheel with hard braking.
Every road frame I own (see signature) has this feature of a higher brake bridge/fork crown in back than in front. For the reason you stated, I think the short front / long rear caliper configuration makes a lot of sense. If you grab both brake levers with equal force and closing speed, the rear will come on slightly before the front, but the front will exert more stopping force. I am not sure how much difference this really makes, since (correct me if I am wrong) bikes with cantilever brakes take equal-leverage arms front and rear. (Of course, in that case and with MAFAC centerpull calipers, one can change the leverage by altering the length of the straddle cable.) I have never evaluated the difference in leverage between my mountain bike's rear U-brake and front RollerCam, but I am delighted with both, and the 4-finger motorcycle-style Shimano brake levers.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-13-22, 08:25 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
If you look at boom era bicycles you'll see that this feature is found predominantly on lower level models. As you moved up in price it started to wane. By the time you reached pro level level bicycles, equal reach calipers were dominant. This supports the rear lockup argument. Entry level cyclists were more apt to grab both levers with equal force and consequently lock the rear wheel. Owners of pro level bicycles were typically avid cyclists with lots of experience and the ability and knowledge to modulate each caliper individually. Equal reach brake calipers slowly started to appear at progressively lower levels of sport bicycles over time, as the American consumer became more educated on the proper operation of caliper brakes.
Old 03-14-22, 10:58 AM
sovende

Well, the jury is back I the courtroom and the verdict seems to be, short in front and long in the rear! Fortunately, it’s an easy fix that shouldn’t take more than a few minutes (but I can easily stretch it out to 30). Just when I think I know a lot about bikes, I realize just how much I don’t . Thanks to all for the enlightenment .