Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Experience with these Trunk Racks?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-16, 07:30 PM
TripleB67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After much advice from you and checking my bank account, for right now, going with a trunk rack to transport my bike is going to be my best (and really only) option!

Here are the ones that are somewhat affordable, fit my car, and get better than average reviews:
- Allen Sports Deluxe 2 Bike Rack ($40)
- Allen Sports Premier 2 Bike Rack ($79)
- Saris Sentinel 2 Bike Rack ($76 including need hutch huggers) { fyi: the Saris Bones don't fit my car **
- Thule 910XT Passage 2 Bike Rack ($118)
- Yakima Half Back 2 Bike Rack ($136)
- Yakima King Joe 2 Bike Rack ($114)

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these trunk bike racks? If so, I'd love to hear what you think!!!

Thank you again for all your help and your patience!

TripleB67

Last edited by TripleB67; 09-08-16 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 08:35 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a King Joe 2. Only used it a few times, I use it on a hatchback, I can't access the hatch with it on the car. I don't like it too much. I probably will have the same problem with any trunk rack.
Old 09-08-16, 04:01 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Liked 142 Times in 83 Posts
I have a king joe 3 rack. I am new at biking and certainly new at bike racking. My experiences. I am hauling two bikes, dealer told me to get a three bike rack so it would have more room. Good advice..My bikes have a slanted tube and you are supposed to buy an extension bar that goes from the seat post to handle bars so the bike hangs straight. Dealer said I really didn't need it, Bad advice. I came within a hair of completely losing one bike at 70 mph on a freeway. By the grace of God it hung on by a thread and landed ( dragged) on the edge of the kickstand and that saved it.So I bought the extension but am quite paranoid now after that mishap. I guess my advice is buy the most expensive rack you can afford. I can't afford one right now but I can't wait till I get either a truck or a van to haul these things.
Old 09-08-16, 02:19 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleB67
After much advice from you and checking my bank account, for right now, going with a trunk rack to transport my bike is going to be my best (and really only) option!

Here are the ones that are somewhat affordable, fit my car, and get better than average reviews:
- Saris Sentinel 2 Bike Rack ($76 including need hutch huggers) { fyi: the Saris Bones don't fit my car **

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these trunk bike racks? If so, I'd love to hear what you think!!!

TripleB67
Hi Triple,
I have an Allen 2 bike trunk rack and it is fantastic. In fact, although I don't normally leave it on the car when not in use, when I do I can still open the trunk!

It's very easy to install and then mount each time. Also holds the bike very securely. In my humble opinion it's one of the better values, if not the best, in trunk mounted bike racks.

Please be aware that I have no business nor personal affiliation with the manufacturer.

Best regards
Old 09-08-16, 02:28 PM
SHK

Bikes: 13 Raleigh Cadent FT1/ 16 Specialized Allez Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the allen 2 trunk rack.

MAKE SURE THE BOTTOM RESTS ON THE LICENSE PLATE.

My car has a fat butt so it rests several inches above the license plate.. over the course of a couple years it has kind of tarnished the finish on the paint and dented my trunk when I had two old heavy bikes.

Over all it is a great rack for the price but you'll want to put some foam on certain spots to stop it from rubbing your bike frame. Ive never had a problem or close call with bikes falling off. Just secure it right and tight. Also my newest bikes, top tube doesnt sit flush in the slots :[
Old 09-08-16, 05:29 PM
flan48

Originally Posted by SHK
I have the allen 2 trunk rack.

MAKE SURE THE BOTTOM RESTS ON THE LICENSE PLATE.

My car has a fat butt so it rests several inches above the license plate.. over the course of a couple years it has kind of tarnished the finish on the paint and dented my trunk when I had two old heavy bikes.

Over all it is a great rack for the price but you'll want to put some foam on certain spots to stop it from rubbing your bike frame. Ive never had a problem or close call with bikes falling off. Just secure it right and tight. Also my newest bikes, top tube doesnt sit flush in the slots :[
Good points! In fact I fold an old towel in half, then lay it over the top of the trunk lid (i.e. the part on which the top foam pieces will be), and that avoids any scuffing/marking.

Best regards
Old 09-08-16, 06:04 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I used the Saris 3 bike carrier for 10 years now. Works fine. I use a bungee to secure the front wheel.
Old 09-08-16, 06:06 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
All good racks.

Check eBay and CL for used; they don't wear out...
Old 09-08-16, 06:12 PM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48
Hi Triple,
I have an Allen 2 bike trunk rack and it is fantastic.
Deluxe or Premier? Thanks
Old 09-08-16, 11:05 PM
RTbar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Yakima fullback 2, and it was very high quality, good fit and finish, but I returned it for 2 reasons...

First was I got a 2 bike rack, and like another poster said, get the 3 bike version even if you only need to use it for 2 bikes because there will be more space... I found that the pedals were getting dangled in the other bikes wheels and getting intertwined.

The second reason is that with my car, I needed to undo the top strap, stick the hook inside the car, , route it to the outside, close the hatch, and reattach the strap... which was a hassle, whereas the new rack I got (thule archway 3) just requires a hook into the top of the trunk.

Also, I didn't like the clips that secured the bike to the rack because they were difficult to insert and remove, and they didn't stay attached to the rack when you took them off, meaning you had 6 loose clips to keep track of when unloading the bikes.
Old 09-09-16, 05:03 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
I don't like trunk racks, at the least the 3 different ones I had over the years all sucked. I found that they bounced as I was driving just enough for two or more bikes to contact each other and scratch the paint, which I manage to prevent by using pipe insulation. And two of the designs allowed the bike to contact the paint on the car which again I had to correct with pipe insulation.

After much headaches with the trunk design I went with the hitch design instead and got a BoneLocker (I think they changed their name now). It works great.
Old 09-09-16, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,612 Times in 2,360 Posts
got time to visit Boston?

https://boston.craigslist.org/search/bip?query=rack

there's like a million used trunk racks for sale! :-)
Old 09-09-16, 08:20 AM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saris makes the three bike Schwinn rack. Good rack. Works just fine. Any negative reviews, IMHO, can be chalked up to user error and/or inability to figure things out.
Old 09-09-16, 09:05 AM
flan48

Originally Posted by LHawes
Deluxe or Premier? Thanks
I have the Deluxe that I purchased 4+ years ago. At the time it was the Allen 102 something.
Best regards
Old 09-09-16, 03:24 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

TripleB67
Sorry, but I have to ask what car do you have? I have the Sarris Bones and absolutely love it. I cant hardly imagine what it would not fit.
Old 09-14-16, 09:10 AM
TripleB67

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Sorry, but I have to ask what car do you have? I have the Sarris Bones and absolutely love it. I cant hardly imagine what it would not fit.
2013 Kia Optima...I even emailed Saris and they sent a reply saying their Bones racks will not fit my car

TripleB67
Old 09-14-16, 09:15 AM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought the 'Premier' and it works great on my old 97 Camry. All these types of racks seem to need bungies and misc. pads to hold bike steady and protect car from pedals etc. but very simple set up and solid rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-16-16, 01:39 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts

TripleB67
Have Allen Sports Deluxe 2 Bike Rack currently. Had the 3 Bike version as well, but sold it due to redundancy. It works fine. No frills, but I've never had an issue either. I recommend it. When flying with our S&S coupled bikes, we bring this rack.

Had the hitch mount version of the Thule 910XT. The antisway brackets were a selling point for me. They scratched the paint off of several bikes, however. I do not recommend using them. I also had the rubber top tube straps come loose a few times while driving. Scary!
Old 09-16-16, 03:02 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes
Just bought the 'Premier' and it works great on my old 97 Camry. All these types of racks seem to need bungies and misc. pads to hold bike steady and protect car from pedals etc. but very simple set up and solid rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just strapped a bike on for a short freeway jaunt and was impressed how solid everything was - recommended.