Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bike Cop Awe

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 07:06 AM
ofofhy
Chronic Tai Shan

Bikes: Pake Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkyonions
no one has even mentioned pacific blue yet. they run reruns of it here over in denmark and let me tell you, it's quite possibly the best hour of television.imdb on pacific blue
I completely forgot about that show. It used to be on USA network over here in the late 90's. It was responsible for the resurrection of A.C. Slater's acting career!

If that's your best hour of programming what is the rest of Danish TV like?
Old 05-02-05, 07:35 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ofofhy

If that's your best hour of programming what is the rest of Danish TV like?

High Tide
Silk Stalkings
The Renegade
Night Man
Pensacola
anything else shot in San Diego or Orange County in the 90s

Old 05-02-05, 07:51 AM
celephaiz
I sing the body electric

Bikes: 2006 CrossCheck, Fuji Track 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow thats the USA lineup from the late nineties... all youre missing is baywatch, though you almost certainly have that being so close to germany and all.
Old 05-02-05, 07:52 AM
robertsdvd
floor sleeper

Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkyonions
no one has even mentioned pacific blue yet. they run reruns of it here over in denmark and let me tell you, it's quite possibly the best hour of television.

bike cops that can shot from their bikes while riding, chase people on motorcycles, do trials style riding to get up/down walls to get the bad guy, someone ride up and over a pool table in an arcade and get some air at the end, launch off the pier into the sand and jump off their bike to land on a bad guy. oh yea, their bikes have spinergy wheels too.

imdb on pacific blue
Gotta love documentaries.
Old 05-02-05, 10:07 AM
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike cops down here have for the most part nice bikes, and most know something about riding. Silent clutch cassettes, and rolling on Conti's Town and Country tires. Barely heard one coast up to me while I was waiting at a light.

Mall bike cops, Walmart specials - with cheap semi slicks. You can hear them panting and weezing a mile away.

Guys at the LBS told me about this one guy. He wanted to get on the bike patrol to loose weight. During the training, the stancions blew out the top of his suspension fork, they got him in the chest.
Old 05-02-05, 10:13 AM
votedean
Drunken Harmonica Band

Bikes: Windsor, Schwinn Le Tour, Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'll hate on the security guards, but the real cops are ALWAYS grabbing us for public intoxication. Like, regular cops really don't care, but it seems like the bike cops have nothing better to do. They also have bada$$ night stick holders on the downtube. I want one.
Old 05-02-05, 11:00 AM
sbeatonNJ
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best is when the bike cops bring in their bikes for repairs. Alot of them feel they can fix it themselves, so they f it up worse and then bring it in with their tail between their legs. I talked to one guy who says they have to do drills at the shooting range like powerslides while drawing their weapon and shooting; sounds like it might be a good skill in traffic! I see a lot of them come in as the bike cop is a popular installment at the beach areas, most are cool and usually ride mtbs.
Old 05-02-05, 11:43 AM
mattista

Bikes: surly steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
the oakland bike units have reallllly sweet cannondales, supplied by cycle sport.

fuji makes a police bike, and i'm pretty sure trek makes one as well. raleigh however, does not.
Here in DC the cops ride "Smith & Wesson" bikes-- no joke. Maybe to show they mean business. Scary, but most seem kind of out of shape for guys who spend their day on a bike. Probably cannondales or fujis. I'll try to get a picture someday.
Old 05-02-05, 11:57 AM
karmical
THC Freedom Fighter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattista
Here in DC the cops ride "Smith & Wesson" bikes-- no joke. Maybe to show they mean business.
smith & wesson are overpriced pos i thought trek made them at one point...

Originally Posted by sbeatonNJ
I talked to one guy who says they have to do drills at the shooting range like powerslides while drawing their weapon and shooting; sounds like it might be a good skill in traffic!
this sounds crazy and a bit of a stretch...like a little white lie....

i would just like to see a post... thats peace officer standard testing certified range where this can be carried out...

sounds like a liability nightmare.....i don't know if i would want my bike patrol officers carrying on like some bad tv sitcom....

but then again.....maybe i would, so my defense attny could paint this picture for the jury....and get me out of whatever it is i was into.....
Old 05-02-05, 02:24 PM
Bikeophile
BIG RING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmical
except that big fat kid doesn't have the radio...thats what gets you caught in most pursuits..
or a gun
Old 05-02-05, 03:00 PM
jamey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggurat
The cops in Saratoga Springs ride these

HOLD ON A SEC!! the cops are given free freakin serottas to ride on?! where do i sign up?!
Old 05-02-05, 05:55 PM
p_ill
phillip africa

Bikes: Casati Monza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rentacops on bikes are just funny. real bike cops normally have nothing better to do than bust you for stupid ****.

i used to always run from guys on bikes in cambridge until one day they called ahead for support after i blew a light on mass ave. a few blocks later i had 2 cars on me and a laundry list of violations (blowing the light, avoiding the cops, not having lights/reflectors). they also tried to give me a fine for not having any brakes, but mass law reads that you just have to be able to throw the bike into a skid so i took it to court with a video of me skidding and got that thrown out.

after i got pulled over i started talking to one of the cops who was riding this black specialized. he was telling me how he'd much rather be riding my bike.
Old 05-02-05, 07:37 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only trouble i've had with bike cops is in cambridge, when I blew a red light near harvard square. A bike cop pulled me over, and gave me a warning!
Old 05-02-05, 07:41 PM
p_ill
phillip africa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
The only trouble i've had with bike cops is in cambridge, when I blew a red light near harvard square. A bike cop pulled me over, and gave me a warning!
i think i have like 3 warnings from the same light in central, i'm guessing they just get pissed when you blow them off?
Old 05-02-05, 09:27 PM
bostontrevor
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, Mass law says, "every bicycle operated upon a way shall be equipped with a braking system to enable the operator to bring the bicycle traveling at a speed of fifteen miles per hour to a smooth, safe stop within thirty feet on a dry, clean, hard, level surface."

This is actually much more sensible than the skidding requirement built into a lot of other state laws.

Anyhow, Cambridge will nab people for running a red (as you've found out). But if you look carefully, it's not a moving violation but rather a "violation notice of municipal ordinance" and other possible offenses on the citation will be things like selling tobacco to a minor or plowing snow into the street. Just interesting is all.

Anyhow, I'll jump a red in Cambridge but only after making sure the way is clear (which is my usual thing anyhow, but just to be really obvious about it). I've done this right in front of cops and not gotten word one, so I figure they see what I'm doing and figure as long as I'm not getting in anyone's way or being dumb about it, it's ok.
Old 05-02-05, 09:35 PM
richardmasoner
Fritz M

Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karmical

i would just like to see a post... thats peace officer standard testing certified range where this can be carried out.
I agree the powerslide thing sounds like a bit much. Police cyclist training does seem to be pretty intense, however. Check out the curriculum at https://www.ipmba.org/instructors.htm

RFM
Old 05-02-05, 10:00 PM
beatifik
say, by the way...

Bikes: 2 wheels...

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ofofhy
I watched them chasing three kids on BMX bikes once. The kids jumped about 8 steps at full speed, and the bike security stoppped at the top. Kind of not really believing what just happened. They turned around and lolly gagged their asses back up to Walnut.
hahahaha! that's like a scene from one of those bad disney movies about "XTREME!! SPORTS."
Old 05-03-05, 02:16 PM
sbeatonNJ
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would just like to see a post... thats peace officer standard testing certified range where this can be carried out...

Well the Police firing range in our town is a big huge dirt lot next to the dump so its pretty feasible. I swear the guy was being dead serious when he said that and I really dont think a powerslide to drawing a weapon isn't a possible skill required of a bike cop.
Old 05-03-05, 02:37 PM
kurremkarm
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rent a cop on a bike sounds fun to me-- if i could use my own bike or adjust their pos and make sure only i ride it. Security, which i did for years, usually means i get on a cell phone and call the police department and am the best witness i can be.

That is what you are supposed to do, other than being seen and being helpful. The one time i actually had to do something for real i broke up a fight between two brothers and another guy by showing up and pulling my pepper spray.

I can tell you one thing, police are better trained and equipped, and they receive respect which security don't. But, security still can serve a useful purpose. Example:
The convenience store near my house is full of whinos, panhandlers, and drug addicts. They hire security to keep the lowlife away and im damn glad to see them.

OK, sorry, off my soap box now.
Old 05-03-05, 02:44 PM
emperorbush

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive seen one, rides with the saddle all the way down , and stands up and leans forward to peddle - always, even at 2 mph. You would think riding a bike daily, he would figure out that its sometimes better to pedal sitting down.
Old 05-03-05, 02:55 PM
p_ill
phillip africa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bostontrevor
Actually, Mass law says, "every bicycle operated upon a way shall be equipped with a braking system to enable the operator to bring the bicycle traveling at a speed of fifteen miles per hour to a smooth, safe stop within thirty feet on a dry, clean, hard, level surface."
ah, a law school friend of mine had told me that i bring the bike to a skid and stop within a certain distance. the judge let me off, anyway, and i saved a few dollars.

i too have learned to just take it easy in cambridge and not barrel through those lights. i've been sticking to green st lately and have had good luck with that.
Old 05-03-05, 03:08 PM
Serbaside
Nameless

Bikes: SS Road bike (nothing outstanding), Fixed Batavus (1970)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattista
Here in DC the cops ride "Smith & Wesson" bikes-- no joke. Maybe to show they mean business. Scary, but most seem kind of out of shape for guys who spend their day on a bike. Probably cannondales or fujis. I'll try to get a picture someday.
++

not cheap...
https://bizrate.lycos.com/buy/product...-12130100.html
Old 05-03-05, 07:19 PM
Smorgasbord
Employee

Bikes: Bridgestone 450, A Camera, 46x18 Fixed Gear, Homebrew Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richardmasoner
I agree the powerslide thing sounds like a bit much. Police cyclist training does seem to be pretty intense, however. Check out the curriculum at https://www.ipmba.org/instructors.htm

RFM
I knew I had seen a video of this before, thanks for the link:

https://www.ipmba.org/movies/Firearms...ngDismount.mov
Old 05-03-05, 07:30 PM
p_ill
phillip africa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hahaha!

think the kickback from the gun would ruin a trackstand?
Old 05-03-05, 07:39 PM
ostro
hang up your boots

Bikes: 84 Pinarello, Trek Liquid 30, Torker CX 24, Gromada Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like there are some bike cops on the forums - https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-96228-p-3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.