Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Docked $100 by United Airlines for a Tern in a Suitcase

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Docked $100 by United Airlines for a Tern in a Suitcase

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-12, 05:39 AM
JimBeans83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
It's too bad that the blog talks about DC because this happened at his local airport going *to* DC. In fact, the DC airport he's leaving out of (National) will probably give him no hassles. I know -- it's 15 minutes away from me by bike.
I don't think the airport has anything to do with it - it's any or all of the airlines wanting to make more money now. Some airlines are more friendly than others, there are still large differences between 1st/2nd/overweight bags from one company to the next. Delta seem(ed/s) to be the worst.
Old 04-05-12, 09:28 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"plan bike" is not my blog -- just one that's run by someone who lives about 30 miles away.

The way to keep your cameras safe inside luggage is to also pack an unloaded pistol in the same bag. A race starting pistol will do the trick. Declare it. They WILL watch your bag like it had their own baby inside. Seriously! Even on international flights.

I have both the Dahon bag (not super fond) and a Bike Friday bag. Neither have ever elicited complaints from any of many carriers. The TSA (or equivalent) always open them, I've noticed. So far, no serious damage.
Old 04-05-12, 10:39 AM
rjdennis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not to jinx self, but i have traveled with folding bike checked in suitcase dozens of times with no upcharge
Old 04-05-12, 12:18 PM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JimBeans83
I don't think the airport has anything to do with it - it's any or all of the airlines wanting to make more money now. Some airlines are more friendly than others, there are still large differences between 1st/2nd/overweight bags from one company to the next. Delta seem(ed/s) to be the worst.
Well, you must understand that Reagan National is not like most other airports. First off, it's got an unusually high security level, which ironically takes a lot of the process out of the hands of the airlines. And the procedure is different. You take your bags to the desk, have them weighed and check in, and then take the bags *yourself* to the TSA. Because of this it is my experience that National causes fewer headaches of these kinds than other airports.
Old 04-05-12, 08:48 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bjorke
The way to keep your cameras safe inside luggage is to also pack an unloaded pistol in the same bag. A race starting pistol will do the trick. Declare it. They WILL watch your bag like it had their own baby inside. Seriously! Even on international flights.
Slick!
Old 04-05-12, 09:35 PM
hopperja

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges
It would be interesting to know how oversized his luggage was.
While I don't know for sure, I have tried to stuff my Tern Link P9 into a standard 29" Samsonite. I had to substantially disassemble it. It was frustrating, and I will be looking to get a better suitcase solution at some point.

Tern's website indicates using their Tern Airporter is over-sized but doesn't require any disassembly. From the pictures, it looks to me like there was no disassembly, so he probably used the (over-sized) Tern Airporter or something very similar.
Old 04-06-12, 02:53 AM
JimBeans83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Well, you must understand that Reagan National is not like most other airports. First off, it's got an unusually high security level, which ironically takes a lot of the process out of the hands of the airlines. And the procedure is different. You take your bags to the desk, have them weighed and check in, and then take the bags *yourself* to the TSA. Because of this it is my experience that National causes fewer headaches of these kinds than other airports.
Yes, I've flown thru several times, but this has nothing to do with this. You arrive, take bags to desk. Employee may ask you what's inside, especially if it looks like a large case or something out of the ordinary, which it was. Person said bicycle. They should have been upcharged regardless given the size of the case, which was clearly in the ~70" area. TSA still isn't in the chain before the fee is paid. This has everything to do with a specific airline, perhaps something to do with the specific employee, and nothing to do with the airport and/or their security friendliness. If anything, a more security conscious airport is going to ask more questions about luggage. But if the opportunity exists to make more money, the "good" employee is going to spot it.
Old 04-06-12, 12:45 PM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I've flown thru several times, but this has nothing to do with this. You arrive, take bags to desk. Employee may ask you what's inside, especially if it looks like a large case or something out of the ordinary, which it was. Person said bicycle. They should have been upcharged regardless given the size of the case, which was clearly in the ~70" area.
It sounds like there's a misunderstanding here. The place where the person got charged was a *different* airport than National.

I still maintain that because National has unusual baggage handling and security procedures, I've had fewer issues there than anywhere else.
Old 04-06-12, 10:43 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I sometimes fly internationally with a road bike, and I carry the road bike in a hard case. The first time I flew with my bike to Canada I was double-dinged with a oversize bag fee, and a bicycle surcharge on American Airlines. The total cost was $300. I have found the staff at other airlines to be helpful sometimes, they simply don't charge me the bicycle fee. Nowadays I tell them that the bag contains photographic equipment, and they have gone along with it.
Old 04-06-12, 11:37 PM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...They should have been upcharged regardless given the size of the case, which was clearly in the ~70" area.
as jur has pointed out, United's own published policy reads:
If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23kg) and 62 (157 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second bag fee applies.
And happily, blog owner Jody Brooks reports that United has given him the $100 back. Good for them!
Old 04-09-12, 06:04 PM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Amtrak's website:

Folding Bikes Brought Aboard as Carry-On Baggage

Folding bicycles may be brought aboard certain passenger cars as carry-on baggage. Only true folding bicycles (bicycles specifically designed to fold up into a compact assembly) are acceptable. Generally, these bikes have frame latches allowing the frame to be collapsed, and small wheels. Regular bikes of any size, with or without wheels, are not considered folding bikes, and may not be stored as folding bikes aboard trains.
You must fold up your folding bicycle before boarding the train. You may store the bike only in luggage storage areas at the end of the car (or, in Superliners, on the lower level). You may not store bikes in overhead racks.
Old 04-25-12, 02:38 AM
maunakea
too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asian airlines flying in Asia only care about weight and number of pieces. A Dahon Airporter's size is no problem in Asia, only weight. In the States, both weight and size ... and airline policy... matter.
Old 04-25-12, 04:55 AM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maunakea
Asian airlines flying in Asia only care about weight and number of pieces. A Dahon Airporter's size is no problem in Asia, only weight. In the States, both weight and size ... and airline policy... matter.
Hey long time no see! Still have the Mauna Kea bike?
Old 04-25-12, 07:36 PM
maunakea
too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jur, yes... the reworked Downtube 9FS is my main ride on the Neighbor Islands. I have my eyes on a Tern Eclipse S11i as a replacement though. Mounting and dismounting the RD cage, and straightening the cage after using a bus bike rack, on the Maunka Kea bike has gotten old. I'll miss having 27 speeds, though. I never could talk Yan into DT version with FD.
Old 04-26-12, 11:58 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jur, yes... the reworked Downtube 9FS is my main ride on the Neighbor Islands. I have my eyes on a Tern Eclipse S11i as a replacement though. Mounting and dismounting the RD cage, and straightening the cage after using a bus bike rack, on the Maunka Kea bike has gotten old. I'll miss having 27 speeds, though. I never could talk Yan into DT version with FD.
I believe that they have front derailer mounts now.

Old 04-26-12, 12:35 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Asian airlines flying in the USA practice roughly the same policies too! Which is why I sometimes fly to Las Vegas via Philippine Airlines (PAL) where Filipinos love to bring boxes full of goodies from Manila stopover in Vancouver, BC to Vegas and a Dahon Airporter case is nothing to frown upon when others have boxes as large as flat panel TVs. Only grind with them; PAL usually stands for Plane Always Late!
Old 04-26-12, 01:43 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I've never been charged for checking my Brommie M6L as regular luggage on Southwest. I tell them it's a folding bike and the external dimensions of the case are under 62 inches. The total weight is ~45 pounds. Southwest doesn't charge for the first two checked bags.

Southwest does charge me $50 each way to check my full sized road bike in a Thule hard case, but that's still a bargain as far as I'm concerned. Unless the trip is going to be more than a couple of weeks, I just take the Brompton.

The Brompton:

My 61cm road bike:

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-26-12, 08:27 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so my 30" samsonite hardshell has just about reached the end of its useful life. I might replace it, but folding the Swift in it is just ever-so-tight. I am eyeing a 31" Oyster suitcase, which might make the job a bit easier. thing is, the Oyster is 64 linear inches whereas most airlines appear to have a 62" cutoff.

I'm wondering, would an extra two inches be noticeable by anyone? do these folks actually get out the measuring tape? I'm always under 50#, that's no problem.
Old 04-26-12, 08:57 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Scooper, what make and model case are you using to pack your Brompton in the first picture shown? Thanks.
Old 04-26-12, 09:17 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Ozonation
Scooper, what make and model case are you using to pack your Brompton in the first picture shown? Thanks.
It's the B&W International case Channell Wasson sells. Dimensions are 25" x 25" x 12". I have the older version with the combination lock I bought from Channell about five years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh2GDokqlx4

my bikes

Old 04-26-12, 10:56 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtalinm
so my 30" samsonite hardshell has just about reached the end of its useful life. I might replace it, but folding the Swift in it is just ever-so-tight. I am eyeing a 31" Oyster suitcase, which might make the job a bit easier. thing is, the Oyster is 64 linear inches whereas most airlines appear to have a 62" cutoff.

I'm wondering, would an extra two inches be noticeable by anyone? do these folks actually get out the measuring tape? I'm always under 50#, that's no problem.
Not really unless they claim your case is oversize and you need to contest it. There are exceptions ofcourse like Southwest which is friendly to cyclist. Our WestJet airlines is actually modeled after Southwest. But dealing with United or US Airways is something else. I say, don't worry on a few inches. But 13 inches larger than 62 will be the exception. Btw, my Delsey 31" is oversized a bit and had not gotten charged thus far.
Old 04-27-12, 06:51 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm

This comes up regularly here and on the Bike Friday Yak. Off the top of my head, I've heard of no example where someone was charged an oversize fee with the 31' F'Light. Last I checked, that is the suitcase that both Bike FRiday and Xootr recommend.
Old 04-27-12, 08:16 AM
Ozonation

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
It's the B&W International case Channell Wasson sells. Dimensions are 25" x 25" x 12". I have the older version with the combination lock I bought from Channell about five years ago.
Thanks. From the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be enough room to pack anything else (e.g., helmet). Is there only enough room for the bike and some small odds and ends?
Old 04-27-12, 11:19 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Ozonation
Thanks. From the looks of it, there doesn't seem to be enough room to pack anything else (e.g., helmet). Is there only enough room for the bike and some small odds and ends?
The bike just about fills it up. I carry a small tool kit that fits, but a helmet wouldn't.

my bikes

Old 04-27-12, 02:08 PM
Ozonation

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
The bike just about fills it up. I carry a small tool kit that fits, but a helmet wouldn't.
Sorry to keep bothering you Scooper, but I was considering getting a B&W case, but I read on NYCE and Calhoun Cycle's websites that it weighs 22 to 23 lbs. A third website lists it 12 lbs. Obviously, there's a difference. Given that most airlines only allow up to 50 lbs, wouldn't a Brompton at about 28 to 30 lbs, plus the case at 22 to 23 lbs, push the overall weightage clearly over the 50 lbs limit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.