Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

brake freeplay issue help?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 06:27 PM
Overdraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Hi, I recently bought a new Trek Madone with Ultegra disc brakes and they have a stupid amount of free play before they begin to engage the callipers. 16mm by my measuring. So the issue is that the shift lever hits the handlebar before I feel like I’ve got the full stroke out of the master.
Both the free play and reach adjusters are set as far away from the bar as they will go.
I know on my motorcycles having my brake lever hit the bar before hitting the bottom of the stroke is unacceptable, but can be adjusted out. But these are my first hydraulic bicycle brakes so I just don’t know if this sounds normal…
Could there be air in the system? Maybe what I think is excessive freeplay is just a lot of sponginess due to air in the system? I should point out that before I picked the bike up I asked the FABS to swap the brake lines so the right lever operates the front brake… maybe they botched that?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by Overdraft; 04-02-22 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-02-22, 06:45 PM
vascof1

Bikes: Canyon Endurace AL 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
From what you describe it looks like the brakes need a bleed. I have 105 disc brakes and they are known to have more throw before they grab the rotor compared to your Ultegras. The bleed helped significantly.

Last edited by vascof1; 04-02-22 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-02-22, 08:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Ultegra levers should have a screw to adjust free stroke. There are videos describing this, if you search "Ultegra disc free stroke".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-02-22, 09:17 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by genejockey
Ultegra levers should have a screw to adjust free stroke. There are videos describing this, if you search "Ultegra disc free stroke".
ya, that’s how I know the problem is beyond an adjustment. I implied it when I mentioned that both the freeplay and reach adjusters were maxed out, but yes, there is no further adjustment available that would either reduce free play or move the levers further away from the bars. So either it’s ‘normal’ for the levers to bottom out on the bars (like I said, that’s a fail on motorcycle brakes) or there’s something else wrong?
Old 04-02-22, 09:47 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,226 Posts
Old 04-02-22, 10:22 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by curbtender
so it sounds like it IS an excessive amount of free play and/or it’s abnormal for the levers to hit the bars?
Old 04-03-22, 06:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Overdraft
so it sounds like it IS an excessive amount of free play and/or it’s abnormal for the levers to hit the bars?
This issue pops up from time to time, coincidentally with Trek examples:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...sc-brakes.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rgonomics.html
Old 04-03-22, 08:02 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Theyre disk brakes, no idea why people decided to put them on road bikes. Youre SOL OP, might as well just live with the problem or buy a new bike
Old 04-03-22, 08:54 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,226 Posts
If it is a new bike, bring it in to your LBS and have it checked. My experience is with MB/XT and have them set to engage halfway. I would say that if they hit the bars there us a problem. In video, he speaks of new bikes being delivered not fully bled..
Old 04-03-22, 10:43 AM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Theyre disk brakes, no idea why people decided to put them on road bikes. Youre SOL OP, might as well just live with the problem or buy a new bike
wow, that’s awesomely helpful information for someone newly back in the sport! People must really appreciate your contributions to the cycling community
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 04-03-22, 11:59 AM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by curbtender
If it is a new bike, bring it in to your LBS and have it checked. My experience is with MB/XT and have them set to engage halfway. I would say that if they hit the bars there us a problem. In video, he speaks of new bikes being delivered not fully bled..
I bought the bike new from a Far Away Bike Shop (FABS) so if I take it to the LBS I’ll be paying full pop. As a low budget motorcycle racer for years I’ve been my own mechanic and am comfortable with hydraulic brakes. If this was for sure an air issue I’d just get on with bleeding but I didn’t want to head down that road if that wasn’t the issue!
Old 04-03-22, 12:07 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
I bought the bike new from a Far Away Bike Shop (FABS) so if I take it to the LBS I’ll be paying full pop. As a low budget motorcycle racer for years I’ve been my own mechanic and am comfortable with hydraulic brakes. If this was for sure an air issue I’d just get on with bleeding but I didn’t want to head down that road if that wasn’t the issue!
Why not bleed them anyway, just to be sure that’s not the issue.
Old 04-03-22, 12:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
What are the current warranty terms anyway? Unless you're referring to purchasing the bike overseas, will an authorized Trek dealer only do warranty service on a Trek they themselves sold and not on one you purchased from another Trek authorized dealer?
Old 04-03-22, 12:25 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This issue pops up from time to time, coincidentally with Trek examples:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...sc-brakes.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...rgonomics.html
thanks for the links Sy Reene ! I did a search but apparently my search game is weak. Lots of interesting info. Definitely starting to think that the FABS may have failed to bleed properly after they switched the brake lines for me. Of course when I picked up my new bike it was pissing rain and I was trying to catch a ferry to get home so I didn’t have an opportunity to ride it and then say ‘hey is this normal?’
Old 04-03-22, 12:34 PM
Overdraft

What are the current warranty terms anyway? Unless you're referring to purchasing the bike overseas, will an authorized Trek dealer only do warranty service on a Trek they themselves sold and not on one you purchased from another Trek authorized dealer?
good question. it’s possible that the LBS will consider it warranty work and bill Trek for it, however I suspect the right side front brake setup might get them thinking that it wasn't an as sold problem.
Also even if I’m handing a vehicle to a mechanic for work I can’t do myself I like to have a solid understanding of the issue so I don't get an inflated bill hiding behind some mumbo-jumbo on the work order.
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 04-03-22, 12:35 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by Davet
Why not bleed them anyway, just to be sure that’s not the issue.
yup. leaning this way.
Old 04-03-22, 01:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
wow, that’s awesomely helpful information for someone newly back in the sport! People must really appreciate your contributions to the cycling community
Pay no attention to him - dude's not exactly known as a font of knowledge or good judgement.
Old 04-03-22, 01:18 PM
WhyFi

yup. leaning this way.
Before you do a full bleed, try to jiggle any bubbles back up in to the reservoir. Tilt the bike so that the lines are "uphill" from the calipers to the levers, with no traps in between. Tap any exposed brake line with a screwdriver, or whatever, and then vigorously flick the brake levers. If this doesn't work, do the bleed.

Also, are your brake pads still in good shape?
Old 04-03-22, 02:20 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Presumably. It’s a brand new bike and I've only put a few hundred k on it so far… I'll try ‘burping’ the system first
Likes For Overdraft:
Old 04-03-22, 03:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Don't be any more of an idiot than usual Larry.
It would be on the shop and not a warranty thing. You'll need a Shimano bleed kit.

It wouldn't be a Trek thing, it would be a Shimano thing. It has NOTHING to do w/ which shop sold the bike...ANY Trek dealer will handle warranty issues for ANY Trek bike.

good question. it’s possible that the LBS will consider it warranty work and bill Trek for it, however I suspect the right side front brake setup might get them thinking that it wasn't an as sold problem.
Also even if I’m handing a vehicle to a mechanic for work I can’t do myself I like to have a solid understanding of the issue so I don't get an inflated bill hiding behind some mumbo-jumbo on the work order.
Your local shop won't (most likely) treat it as a warranty because the lines were changed to the opposite levers...it's not their problem and it's not Trek's problem.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Before you do a full bleed, try to jiggle any bubbles back up in to the reservoir. Tilt the bike so that the lines are "uphill" from the calipers to the levers, with no traps in between. Tap any exposed brake line with a screwdriver, or whatever, and then vigorously flick the brake levers. If this doesn't work, do the bleed.

Your idea won't fix anything, if there is air in the system it will end up at the lever and the lever will go to the bar because it's pumping air not mineral oil. It will not fix an existing problem w/ air in the system. You can 'burp' the system but you need the Shimano bleed kit to do it.
Old 04-03-22, 04:23 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Your idea won't fix anything, if there is air in the system it will end up at the lever and the lever will go to the bar because it's pumping air not mineral oil. It will not fix an existing problem w/ air in the system. You can 'burp' the system but you need the Shimano bleed kit to do it.
A little bit of air in the reservoir may not be ideal, but it's not necessarily a problem; Shimano certainly expects it not to be uncommon, which is why the manuals say not to invert a bike with hydro brakes. Yeah, if there's so much air in the system that there's no longer any oil in the reservoir above the master cylinder, it'll pump air, but a bubble floating at the top of the reservoir isn't going to be problematic unless the bike is inverted and it makes its way between the cylinder and caliper or if the pads wear out so much that the reservoir is completely drained.
Old 04-03-22, 04:23 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I think dicking around with adding fluid and then doing the last two burps of the full bleed is worth a shot. I’m going to get the kit anyway but given that it’s a new bike and i’m not replacing the pads and the fluid isn’t old and dirty, and using the working theory that the FABS didn’t do a thorough job of bleeding after the hose swap and given that the bike hasn’t been upside down, I’m more thinking ‘air near the top of the system’ that might burp out rather than ‘air half way between the master and the caliper’ that would take a full bleed for sure.

and to threadjack my own thread, does anyone know why Shimano does this back and forth fill from the bottom then fill again from the top bleed? Om my motorcycle I just attach my vacuum pump to the calliper bleeder and suck the old fluid out from the bottom of the system while adding the new at the top. seems much simpler…
Old 04-03-22, 06:42 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Let me preface by saying I'm no expert on bicycle hydraulic brakes, but a fellow rider had the same problem with the lever going back to the bar. Turned out to be the olive. Just one more thing to check.
Old 04-03-22, 06:56 PM
Overdraft

Originally Posted by freeranger
Let me preface by saying I'm no expert on bicycle hydraulic brakes, but a fellow rider had the same problem with the lever going back to the bar. Turned out to be the olive. Just one more thing to check.
olive? awesome autocorrect? or new part of the bike I’ve never heard of?
Old 04-03-22, 07:01 PM
WhyFi

olive? awesome autocorrect? or new part of the bike I’ve never heard of?
They look like an olive with a hole all the way through - they help to seal the brake line connections. They slip over the brake line and are pressed in to place when you tighten the brake line nuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.