Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Before I tear something up

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 11:15 AM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

This is an older Puch 12 speed. The BB is rough and I want to service it. Can someone tell me if the locking ring and adjusting nut on this are normal RH threads? The opposite side had 2 large flats on it. Is this side RH or LH threads? Thanks!
Old 02-09-23, 11:27 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
The DS should be LH and the NDS should be RH.
If you just cleaned off the dirt, you should be able to run a finger nail in the threads (or just look) and see which way they go on the NDS.
Old 02-09-23, 11:38 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
The early 70's Puch I had used an English BB. Yours looks later, and I'd be surprised if they went to something else. That should be right hand thread.
Old 02-09-23, 12:19 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Use penetrating oil before.

a good lockring wrench will help also, but don't know which one other than a hook will fit

I find that tapping the wrench with hammer helps break loose....most lockrings, once they move a little are easy to get off the rest of the way IME

Old 02-09-23, 12:26 PM
louky

Thanks to all. I don't have any specialty tools for this. Ended up using a pipewrench on the ND side. I tried a punch first and it wasn't moving and was distorting the notches so I opted for the pipewrench and it came off pretty easily. I ended up using a crescent wrench with a sharp blow to get the drive side (which WAS LHT).
Old 02-09-23, 12:30 PM
louky

Originally Posted by noobinsf
The early 70's Puch I had used an English BB. Yours looks later, and I'd be surprised if they went to something else. That should be right hand thread.
Yes, I figure maybe 90's. Headbadge say Made FOR Puch. The decal at the base of the seat tube has worn away, but the last letter of the "Made in" is an "N" so I assume Taiwan.
Old 02-09-23, 04:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
For English threaded bottom brackets, left is right and right is wrong. For pedals, the right is right and the left is wrong.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!