Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Any ideas on this mystery frame? W V initials?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 08:53 AM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts

Hello folks, any ideas on who might have made this vintage chrome bike? Has shimano drop outs and some neat cursive on the head tube that I believe says W V. Build is mostly shimano arabesque 600, with a gran compe stem and newer riser bars.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-26-23, 02:39 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

you might wish to keep in mind that cycle could be of Belgian origin

certainly do not wish to assert that it is

however, beginning in 1973 Japan frame ends and tubing began to be employed in Belgium

what make/model are rims?

what make/model is headset?

-----
Old 08-26-23, 03:22 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,781 Times in 638 Posts
The Shimano GS dropouts minimal braze on's ans 600 parts would seem to indicate a late 70's build. I'm with juvela thinking it could be a lesser Belgian or northern European bike built with mass produced med level Japanese parts. Bikes like this can be hard to ID since pretty much any builder could buy the nice mid level Japanese frame bits parts and do pretty good plain no detailed torch job of building a frame. bike on the cheaper side a lot did.
Old 08-27-23, 06:43 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Thanks for the help! I'll skip this one.
Old 09-01-23, 12:24 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Looking at the features of this frame, it really could have been made by anyone, both in Japan and in some parts of Europe. The head tube decal though places it in Japan.

Since I really doubt someone would fake one of these and apply that 'WV' head tube decal on a random frame (even if the decals were available, which I doubt), I'm pretty sure they are original.

WV stands for Wander Vogel, a brand of Joto Ringyo(sya), a company from Osaka that still exists today. Their bikes aren't too common in Japan and they are very rare in the US. This one most likely came back with a US serviceman.

I don't know if they built any frames or had them all contract-made, but based on bikes I've seen, I would say most of the stuff sold under that brand was contract made. Of all the Wander Vogel frames I've seen, only three had pics of the serial numbers; one was a Miki and two were Katakura. A number of frames looked very much like they were made by Miki, but without serial numbers it's hard to confirm 100%. I've also seen several that were made by Toei.
Another detail that leads me to think they had frames contract made is the fact that majority of examples I've seen had a decal that read: "Designed by Joto Ringyosya."

I'm not sure which model the mystery frame might have been originally. It appears to sport an older Mangaloy decal, like this one (seen on a Sekai 2400):

I think 'Tour of Japan' was Wander Vogel top (or near the top) model that was made with Tange 1, so a frame built with Mangaloy would have been more mid-level.

Tour of Japan model usually had "Tour of Japan" on the down tube, like this:

The mystery frame probably just had "Wander Vogel" on the down tube, like this:

Here's a few more examples:

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 09-01-23, 12:24 AM
MauriceMoss

Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 09-01-23, 04:47 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 3,135 Times in 1,974 Posts
@MauriceMoss

How the heck do you find all of these images?
Old 09-01-23, 09:06 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
If Wout van Art goes by WV, maybe it's his
Old 09-01-23, 09:33 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
The depth of knowledge on this forum continues to amaze me. Chapeau, sir!
Old 09-01-23, 04:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Great info MauriiceMoss interesting you mention that a couple you have seen were Katatura built since one of my first impressions was that based on the nice chrome and frame details it might be a Katatura build. If it wasn't for the cheapo converted bar setup and ugly crank set I could see buying this bike for a sub $200 price. With a nice set of drop bars brake levers and a 600 crank set to match the other parts it would be great looking bike.
Old 09-03-23, 06:55 PM
MauriceMoss

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
@MauriceMoss

How the heck do you find all of these images?

Trust me, you don't want to know
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 09-03-23, 06:57 PM
MauriceMoss

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Great info MauriiceMoss interesting you mention that a couple you have seen were Katatura built since one of my first impressions was that based on the nice chrome and frame details it might be a Katatura build. If it wasn't for the cheapo converted bar setup and ugly crank set I could see buying this bike for a sub $200 price. With a nice set of drop bars brake levers and a 600 crank set to match the other parts it would be great looking bike.
It could be a Katakura, although the seat stay end treatment on this frame looks different than standard Katakura, but you never know. Serial number would confirm.
Old 09-03-23, 07:27 PM
zukahn1 

Not that it matters I think your right on second third look the seat stay ends dropouts and seat tube do look a bit lower than most of Katakura's work. What made me think Katakura was the nice chrome really nicely done on the lugs and dropouts.
Old 09-04-23, 09:21 AM
twolve

Wow thanks for all the information and solving a bit of the mystery. I've been busy getting ready to start teaching tomorrow so I haven't been here much.

Thanks for all the knowledge and the photos. The bike has been posted for $200 (link below). I don't need any more bikes but always like to ride and observe interesting bikes. I will watch to see if it sells or the price starts to drop. Winter is coming here in MN which makes for a good buying enabling.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ssenger_banner
Old 09-04-23, 04:24 PM
zukahn1 

I could see $200 on this one if it had the 600 crank set to match the other parts and the original drop bars. With the current setup I would think more in the range of $125-150 as is.