Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Teaching an adult how to ride a bicycle?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Teaching an adult how to ride a bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 07:08 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I wonder how many 5 year olds really learned to ride a bike from scratch in half an hour?

My own memories of learning to ride at that age are pretty vague, but I didn’t have a balance bike and I do remember having training wheels and being very frustrated until it eventually clicked. That could have been days, weeks or months. I simply can’t remember.

But I can remember my daughters learning to ride on balance bikes and that took only a day or two and their transition to pedal bikes was almost seamless. Although our youngest still preferred to ride her balance bike for a good few months afterward because she was quicker scooting on it.
Well, I wasn't a toddler, so I wasn't fighting my own poor coordination. And I didn't have any bad habits from riding with training wheels. And with an actual bike you have to commit at some point, rather than half trusting that you are actually keeping yourself upright. I think any normal 5 year old would learn in that amount of time if you don't hobble them with half measures. Younger kids, other methods are probably better.

It is little different than learning to ski - you can snowplow for hours, or you can commit and learn to turn.

But aside from all of that, most adults over 40 are super cautious about risking getting hurt. So even if you want to use a push bike, soft grass - even with a slight downslope - will be much less mentally challenging.
Old 03-20-24, 07:51 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
+1 on tire choice. 700 x 23 for a new rider? Hmm
That was a pretty standard tire for a 2013 bike. Really, if the bike came with 700 X 28 or 700 X 32, does it really matter much when it comes to balance and operating the bike? It's more about comfort. I can remember racing on 700 X 19 tires. Bike still handled really well.
Old 03-20-24, 09:27 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Are training wheels available for adult bikes?
Old 03-20-24, 10:21 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Are training wheels available for adult bikes?
I guess so!

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-20-24, 11:09 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
That was a pretty standard tire for a 2013 bike. Really, if the bike came with 700 X 28 or 700 X 32, does it really matter much when it comes to balance and operating the bike? It's more about comfort. I can remember racing on 700 X 19 tires. Bike still handled really well.
Yes , it does matter . A little wider tire with a lower inflation can be much easier on a new rider when areas of the road are less than perfect. I have only one bike that I run 23's on and I would never put a new rider on that bike. While it is fun for me , pumped up to 110psi , a new rider would be more prone to catching separation seams in the road or uneven surfaces. It does make a difference , we are talking about someone who has never ridden a bike. I have been riding consistently for over 50 years and I am careful when I am on that bike with skinny tires and high pressure. The debate about wide versus skinny tires is endless but comfort and safety for a new rider that needs all the help they can get should stick with at least 28's IMHO. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-26-24, 06:09 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It's about balance primarily

Kids have a sense of wanting to do stuff and adults depend on prior experiences.
Thus, know the adult. It's a mental game, as well as a new skill.

The long way to learn? Try a scooter to give the adult the sense of security, low to the ground, with one foot on the ground and one on the platform.

As the adult begins to get the swing of things on a scooter, he/she will begin coasting. Now take that skill and apply that to the advanced step of bikes.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 03-26-24 at 06:13 AM.
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 03-26-24, 07:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
+1 on tire choice. 700 x 23 for a new rider? Hmm
Drop bars for a new rider? Hmm.

Both choices seem to be less than ideal for a new rider, especially an older adult, even if the the "instructor" is very comfortable riding on bikes equipped with such features.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 03-26-24, 07:52 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Drop bars for a new rider? Hmm.

Both choices seem to be less than ideal for a new rider, especially an older adult, even if the the "instructor" is very comfortable riding on bikes equipped with such features.
Very good point. In this situation, I'd consider picking up a cheap cruiser-style bike. The upright position (combined with removal of the pedals) would make it so much easier to learn to ride. Once she's confident on the cruiser, the eventual transition to the drop bar bike would be fairly easy.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-26-24, 08:01 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I think some here are over-thinking the five-year-old stuff. Staying on the bike is only 50% of the battle. She will also need starting/stopping, accurate steering, consistent pedal rotation, hand braking, endurance, and riding with others. Shifting does not sound like a priority.

My suggestion is to put the SO on the regular bike with pedal, helmet, and everything in a large empty parking lot and let her have at it. She is obviously highly motivated. Go ahead and drop the seat a bit.

Remember that beginners often steer to avoid small cracks.
Old 03-26-24, 08:27 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've taught two adults using the balance bike method. Both were riding and pedaling within two hours.

First brakes, then balance, then pedaling. Ezpz.

Teaching an adult to ride a bike is exhilarating.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-26-24, 10:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

something like this or similar can be ideal for a beginner

relatively upright - relaxed geometry - fat tires - low gearing - fairly simple / durable

the wide tires alone can make a big difference when the surface is compromised … much more forgiving - much greater ‘margin for error’
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-26-24, 01:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by t2p

something like this or similar can be ideal for a beginner

relatively upright - relaxed geometry - fat tires - low gearing - fairly simple / durable

the wide tires alone can make a big difference when the surface is compromised … much more forgiving - much greater ‘margin for error’
Examples from my garage that also would be excellent bikes for an adult (man or woman) to learn to ride as well as being useful for casual recreational riding later. No top bar to induce anxiety for a beginner as well as ease in mounting and even more importantly quickly dismounting, unbreakable and inexpensive as well as upright - relaxed geometry - fat tires - low gearing.

The red Schwinn and Calvin 3 speeds also have foot brakes as a bonus for simplicity and all weather reliability. Easy enough to leave in low gear while learning to ride.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-26-24 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 03-26-24, 02:27 PM
Bald Paul

I picked this "beauty" up for $10. Hey, tires are good, brakes work, 24" wheels, and a QR seatpost adjuster. I've removed the pedals and she'll be using it as a strider bike to gain balance and confidence, learn to steer and use the brakes. Then I can put the pedals back on and just let her ride in one gear to see how she does before moving up to her "adult" bike.

Old 03-26-24, 04:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I picked this "beauty" up for $10. Hey, tires are good, brakes work, 24" wheels, and a QR seatpost adjuster. I've removed the pedals and she'll be using it as a strider bike to gain balance and confidence, learn to steer and use the brakes. Then I can put the pedals back on and just let her ride in one gear to see how she does before moving up to her "adult" bike.

Great plan, and terrific find. (Maybe wrap the chainrings to protect her legs?)
Old 03-26-24, 04:20 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Great plan, and terrific find. (Maybe wrap the chainrings to protect her legs?)
Not a bad idea. I could just zip-tie the crankarm to the chain stay, and use some pipe insulation around the chainrings. Thanks for the suggestion!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-26-24, 04:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

A much better choice for the task at hand than the Scott Speedster 'Contessa' you mentioned in your OP.
Old 03-26-24, 07:11 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
A much better choice for the task at hand than the Scott Speedster 'Contessa' you mentioned in your OP.
Can't argue that. In my defense, when she told me she wanted to ride, she didn't tell me she didn't know HOW to ride. I'm confident that she will be able to learn and want to move up to a better bike. The Contessa will be perfect for her. It wasn't easy finding an XXS frame bike made for women.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-26-24, 08:52 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
When I met my wife, she'd never ridden a bike before in her life. As so many others have said, doing it one step at a time (balance, leaning to steer, braking, then pedaling) makes it much easier. She ended up putting in thousands of miles before her knees turned ornery (and maybe many more if we can get 'em fixed). Hope it works out great.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-02-24, 08:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I had a work colleague who'd been recruited from to the US to play college ball, and used the scholarship to fund her engineering degree. Smart lady. About 6'6", athletic, but never learned to ride a bike. She was 30 something when I used the balance bike method to teach her to ride. She was pedaling figure 8's in under an hour.

I made a cyclist. I was plenty proud.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 04-06-24, 09:48 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I've taught several adults to ride. I also remove the pedals and drop the saddle very low.

Some people, especially adults, are scared of falling. I have a method to reduce that fear. Take them to a grassy place with soft ground. Practice a "stage fall" where you fall to your side: ankle, knee, hip, elbow, shoulder. Do it in slow motion. Not only does this allay fear, it's also good practice. Since devising this method, I do it once a year myself. And since I ride a lot, I have occasional falls. When I get up, I notice that my fall went according to my rehearsal, and it really minimizes pain and injury. I once went over fast, and the nearby people ran up to me because they thought I was very hurt. But because of my rehearsal, I wasn't hurt!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.