rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First date with Diablo

I decided today was the day that I take on Mt Diablo. I wanted to see how fast I could make it to the top. I seem to be a pretty good climber against some of my riding partners but I wanted to race against the clock on a killer climb... make it 10.5 mile climb. I heard that an hour to the summit is good so that would be my benchmark.

I didn't get to the Athenian school until about 5pm. I could tell I was already in trouble. Clouds overhead and it was pretty breezy. All I had with me was my shorts and paper thin jersey. I ate a cliff bar and hopped on the bike for a 1.5 mile warm up.

The first 5-6 miles weren't too bad. I kept chuggin along, switching from spinning and hammering. Cramps slowed me down for a while but I kept suffering. All I could hear was myself panting like crazy. By mile 7 I am literally in the clouds. It felt good but the winds were very gusty. Finally by mile 9, I find sunshine again and can actually see the summit but it's still waaaay up there. By this time I am curious so I discover that I have 10 minutes to break the 1 hr barrier. Not gonna happen.

Once I realized I wouldn't get the 1 hr mark I slowed down just a bit. I caught some of my breath back and made the final push. I was waiting for this so-called steep part to show up. Once I got there I knew it. My bike would stop after every push of the pedal! After stair climbing my bike to the parking lot I checked my clock. 1:03:15.... I'll take it!!!

I was pretty excited about my performance. I would like to try the Mt Diablo Challenge this October and I want a <1hr T-shirt. Hopefully I can squeeze a few more minutes worth of performance by then. Oh, and the descent was awesome but I froze my ass off. Thanks for reading!
Old 08-05-07, 11:53 PM
frogpound
heysup!

Bikes: Burley Wolfcreek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job!!!
Old 08-06-07, 12:26 AM
cantdrv55

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great job, rydaddy! I hope to climb Diablo someday soon. Don't think I'll be breaking the 1 hr goal though for a while.
Old 08-06-07, 06:24 AM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Great job! It has been a while since I've done Diablo, so that's a time that I cannot compare too. However, I have lost some leg strength lately, so I know I'm not as strong hill climbing as I used to be. I spin now, instead of powering it up.

My Cycling Blog
Old 08-06-07, 08:15 AM
wsmith
WSmith

Bikes: Trek Hybrid and Centurion LeMansRS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to come over and ride that sometime over the next few months. Do you have a link to routeslip or info on where start/finish would be located? Thanks.
Old 08-06-07, 08:36 AM
gpelpel

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty good time for a first time. I am way slower. I am sure you will beat the 1 hour mark during the Challenge.
Old 08-06-07, 09:47 AM
BenRidin
Come on, it'll be fun

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice time!

The Diablo Challenge is held on the First Sunday in October. You can register at this link. This site also has the results from last year.

The event does sell out, although last year I think I was able to sign up within two weeks of the date.

With the time you posted yesterday, you should have no problem beating it in October.

BR
Old 08-06-07, 12:08 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Excellent, excellent time, even if it was up the Easy Side.

Red X?? Click HERE
Old 08-06-07, 12:17 PM
superunleaded
High Octane

Bikes: Calfee, Spectrum, Colnago MxL, 3RENSHO, Softride Classic, TVT, Sentinel Whisper, Centurion Comp TA, Vitus 979, 92 RB-1, 94 RB-T, RADAC, 50th Anniversary Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good one rydaddy. The last Mt Diablo Challenge was July 14. Check here for the results:https://www.c4racing.org/www/results/diablo7.html
Old 08-06-07, 12:52 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the encouraging words!

DiabloScott, I scrolled through your blog for some info on the climb. I wanted to simulate the Mt Diablo Challenge route which I why I went up the "easy" way. I noticed that you mention the Diablo challenge takes the "down" road to the parking lot. I stuck with the right side this time.

I'll probably take 3-4 more shots at it before October. I am envious of those that can ride from their from their front doorstep to the mountain. I'll sport my NorCal jersey the day of the event in case some other NorCal folks are there.

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-07, 01:39 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by rydaddy
DiabloScott, I scrolled through your blog for some info on the climb. I wanted to simulate the Mt Diablo Challenge route which I why I went up the "easy" way.
Of course - I just like calling it "the easy way" to mess with the riders from Danville. I'm glad my blog was useful.

I noticed that you mention the Diablo challenge takes the "down" road to the parking lot. I stuck with the right side this time.
The Challenge way is easier on your legs, but it won't be any faster. With the mass start though, and race day adreneline, you'll cook through some of the flattish sections quite a bit faster - I'll predict a sub-60 Challenge time for you right now.

Old 08-06-07, 03:49 PM
jonathanb715

Bikes: Kestrel Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the encouraging words!

DiabloScott, I scrolled through your blog for some info on the climb. I wanted to simulate the Mt Diablo Challenge route which I why I went up the "easy" way. I noticed that you mention the Diablo challenge takes the "down" road to the parking lot. I stuck with the right side this time.

I'll probably take 3-4 more shots at it before October. I am envious of those that can ride from their from their front doorstep to the mountain. I'll sport my NorCal jersey the day of the event in case some other NorCal folks are there.

Thanks again!
Great job - I've been up that mountain a few times, never faster than an hour and twenty minutes. At the top, don't take the down road up unless it's been closed! There's no place to bail out, and any cars coming down won't stop very well on something that steep - plus the sight lines are somewhat limited and they won't be expecting you (ie, they won't see you until it may be too late). Going up on the right, at least you can just take the narrow lane and keep the cars behind you.

JB