Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which IS the Better Deal? Trek 620 or the Voodoo Rada?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 09:28 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

Tried this in the Road Bike Forums but maybe it's better here.

I can have the Trek 600 for $300 or the Voodoo Rada Build for $300 plus $110 in Used BookStore credit from a local store.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/591436672954334/?mibextid=dXMIcH

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5967274010062762/?mibextid=dXMIcH

Thanks I advance for the advice. I realize I vacillate between bikes a lot. Must be the ocd/ADHD. Lol. At least I've ruled out hybrids. The FX3 I had was ok, the FX2 disc took a lot of work to keep at 12-14mph. I also have enough experience to realize a super cheap road bike won't be any fun, not will a mountain bike with the 26inch wheels. I mostly ride solo 6-20 miles at a time but occasionally do a group ride in the "relaxed" group.
Old 05-08-23, 09:40 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Which is the better deal money-wise, or which would be a better bicycle for you?
Likes For Headpost:
Old 05-08-23, 09:58 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Headpost
Which is the better deal money-wise, or which would be a better bicycle for you?
Great question. I honestly don't know which would be better for me. Let's start with better deal money-wise.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 05-08-23, 09:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Depends on what you want to do. The Rada is newer. It’s a fairly pure road bike with short stays and quick handling. Looking it up, it appears to a 2000 model with more modern components. It appears to have fender mounts so you could mount a rack on it if you want to use it as a commuter.

The Trek is a late 80s touring bike. Reynolds steel (a good thing). Longer wheelbase, more stable, a bit slower handling. It was made for riding all day with a huge load. It would make an excellent commuter or even an excellent touring bike, as it was built to be. It does have fairly old components which can be upgraded if you want but you will likely have to spread the rear triangle if you want more robust wheels and modern freehub hubs. That will add to the cost if you decide to upgrade. But it is easier to mount racks if you want. It is a classic, however.

The best way to look at this is if your goal is to go fast, go with the Voodoo. If you want to go long, go with the Trek.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-08-23, 10:15 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Great question. I honestly don't know which would be better for me. Let's start with better deal money-wise.
In that case, you could post them in the C & V appraisals forum.
Likes For Headpost:
Old 05-08-23, 10:16 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Depends on what you want to do. The Rada is newer. It’s a fairly pure road bike with short stays and quick handling. Looking it up, it appears to a 2000 model with more modern components. It appears to have fender mounts so you could mount a rack on it if you want to use it as a commuter.

The Trek is a late 80s touring bike. Reynolds steel (a good thing). Longer wheelbase, more stable, a bit slower handling. It was made for riding all day with a huge load. It would make an excellent commuter or even an excellent touring bike, as it was built to be. It does have fairly old components which can be upgraded if you want but you will likely have to spread the rear triangle if you want more robust wheels and modern freehub hubs. That will add to the cost if you decide to upgrade. But it is easier to mount racks if you want. It is a classic, however.

The best way to look at this is if your goal is to go fast, go with the Voodoo. If you want to go long, go with the Trek.
Thanks! What do you consider long? Typically after 20-30 miles tops I'm done. I wouldn't want to do any bike camping at this time or actually ride cross country, but all day rides aren't out of the question. I originally thought I'd try to do shopping/grocery runs with whatever bike I chose, but the reality is, is that is not what I have been doing. Maybe the Voodoo makes more sense

The seller said there's no way to mount a rack so it would have to be a seatpost rack if I did want to do that
Old 05-08-23, 10:32 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
The VooDoo Rada is the better all rounder rider for your current riding--light, 9 speed Ultegra, Open Pros. The Trek is a very nice Classic Vintage touring bike. I had one and although it was fun to ride and the half-step plus granny is really neat, I sold it because I prefer to haul stuff with a trailer. If you have several decent road bikes already, the choice will be more difficult.
Old 05-08-23, 10:39 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Classtime
The VooDoo Rada is the better all rounder rider for your current riding--light, 9 speed Ultegra, Open Pros. The Trek is a very nice Classic Vintage touring bike. I had one and although it was fun to ride and the half-step plus granny is really neat, I sold it because I prefer to haul stuff with a trailer. If you have several decent road bikes already, the choice will be more difficult.
Currently I have no bike.
Old 05-08-23, 11:17 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
Well first of all, you're in a C+V forum, and we generally like old stuff, haha. Both are nice bikes.

The Voodoo will be lighter, more nimble the Trek will be more stable and easier to carry stuff. If I had to choose between one bike and I didn't have any other bike (I, in fact, have several), I'd go with the Trek as it's more versatile. Much easier to mount racks and fenders to it. Heck you could throw a small front rack and handlebar bag and it'd be a great all-arounder. To your question of "how long is long" anything over 15-20 miles I think I'd get tired having to focus so much with the Voodoo. There are "race-y" bikes that are more comfortable over longer distances, but from what I've read here about the Voodoo (I don't have prior knowledge about it) its designed for a more crit racing than endurance racing. Also from what I've read, you mostly do solo or relaxed group rides, so no "need for speed" as it were.

Plus that rear rack on the Trek looks original, which is extra cool points.

Do let us know how you land.
Likes For romperrr:
Old 05-08-23, 11:36 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Currently I have no bike.
Then the Voodoo is you.
Old 05-08-23, 11:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Thanks! What do you consider long? Typically after 20-30 miles tops I'm done. I wouldn't want to do any bike camping at this time or actually ride cross country, but all day rides aren't out of the question. I originally thought I'd try to do shopping/grocery runs with whatever bike I chose, but the reality is, is that is not what I have been doing. Maybe the Voodoo makes more sense
Days or weeks long. As a grocery getter, the Trek would be a better choice as well.

The seller said there's no way to mount a rack so it would have to be a seatpost rack if I did want to do that

Lack of imagination on their part. It has the rack mounts on the drop out but doesn’t have them on the seat stay. That’s not an impediment to mounting a rack. You can use p-clips or, better yet, use Tubus seatstay mounts for the upper stays on the rack. I’ve used them on numerous bikes without issues. You can see them above the brakes in this picture.

IMG_0622 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I used those for roughly 25,000 miles of commuting and general riding.

DSCN0164 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Just to be clear, I would gravitate towards the touring bike because it has more utility but I have a fleet of bikes to choose from anyway so I have a lot of bases covered. You mileage may vary.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-08-23 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-08-23, 12:16 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Days or weeks long. As a grocery getter, the Trek would be a better choice as well.

Lack of imagination on their part. It has the rack mounts on the drop out but doesn’t have them on the seat stay. That’s not an impediment to mounting a rack. You can use p-clips or, better yet, use Tubus seatstay mounts for the upper stays on the rack. I’ve used them on numerous bikes without issues. You can see them above the brakes in this picture.

IMG_0622 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I used those for roughly 25,000 miles of commuting and general riding.

DSCN0164 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Just to be clear, I would gravitate towards the touring bike because it has more utility but I have a fleet of bikes to choose from anyway so I have a lot of bases covered. You mileage may vary.
Yeah maybe the Trek might be better. I want to be able to use it for errands around the city and a stolen $300 bike would sit better than a stolen $400+ bike. We have a lot of bikes that here and the Trek is a little more low key
Old 05-08-23, 12:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I can't say what you need but I would prefer the trek. That said I have a trek 720 that I rarely ride. But then I have too many bikes. My 720 could be my only bike... A 620 could too.
Old 05-08-23, 12:46 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
I'd recommend test riding them if possible. Might help decide which one you like better, and would also help determine what kind of shape they are in. I know from a experience that a bike made in 1985 (like the trek) may not have been serviced in the last 38 years while a new bike might also be ridden hard and neglected.

It does seem to come down to your goal for the bike. The Trek might be the option for hauling, commuting, and all day riding while the Voodoo might be for more just riding spritely.

Perhaps the best deal and easiest way to be accepted as one of us is to just buy both ha.
Likes For twolve:
Old 05-08-23, 12:51 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I would prefer the Trek from the standpoint of comfort and user-serviceability, comfort, and versatility. The Voodoo won't fit much bigger tires than it's got, while the Trek can take nice fatties and fenders. The Voodoo's bars can't be raised much at all without a new stem; the Trek's stem is a quill so you can raise and lower the bars as you see fit.

However, I'd probably change the back wheel of the Trek for something a bit more modern. I'm guessing it has a freewheel. A nice 8sp cassette on a freehub would be a great upgrade! Then try it out shifting with the downtubes. If you don't like shifting with them, you can easily slap on some bar ends for more convenient control.
Old 05-08-23, 12:53 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by twolve
I'd recommend test riding them if possible. Might help decide which one you like better, and would also help determine what kind of shape they are in. I know from a experience that a bike made in 1985 (like the trek) may not have been serviced in the last 38 years while a new bike might also be ridden hard and neglected.

It does seem to come down to your goal for the bike. The Trek might be the option for hauling, commuting, and all day riding while the Voodoo might be for more just riding spritely.

Perhaps the best deal and easiest way to be accepted as one of us is to just buy both ha.
I'd never want to be accepted in a club that would have me as a member. Besides I think you have to have at least 8 bikes to be one of the gang.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 05-08-23, 01:09 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

I'd never want to be accepted in a club that would have me as a member. Besides I think you have to have at least 8 bikes to be one of the gang.
You're already accepted just by asking interesting questions about cool bikes.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-08-23, 05:21 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
That’s an ‘85 620, it’s a one year only frame and the only year the chain stays matched the 720 for length. It is an EPIC touring bike made with a 531 main triangle and 501 chromo fork and stays.
I have an ‘84 Trek 620 and an ‘83 Trek 720. I know which one I would pick.
That said, understand that I have had some incredible racing bikes, and I know that racing bicycles don’t do it for me. I’m very biased towards sport/touring and grand touring, and early steel Treks, because they nailed the frame geometry for that category so well.
If you’re wanting a club racer, that 620 isn’t one. But commuting, groceries, camping, or obviously touring, it’s a very capable frame, and a sweet sweet ride.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-08-23, 07:40 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
…But then I have too many bikes…
I feel like this is one of those “call the police if you ever hear me say this” kind of statements.
Old 05-08-23, 07:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by beicster
I feel like this is one of those “call the police if you ever hear me say this” kind of statements.
It's my secret code that the terrorists have me.... Seriously though I am trying to deal bikes to people who might ride them. Of course anything that is full Reynolds or Columbus or has really interesting details won't leave.
Likes For 52telecaster: