Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

STI Lever/disc caliper compatibly?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 10:04 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts

Hi folks,
I have a bunch of 10 speed Shimano 105 (5600/5700) components & recently got a 700c disc brake road wheelset. Are there any disc brake calipers that will work with the 5600 or 5700 lever/shifter combo? Certainly would like to tryout a disc brake road bike.
Thanks & regards,
Van
Old 11-07-23, 10:11 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
TRP Spyre, Avid Bb7 Road to name a couple. Look for calipers made for short pull/road pull.
Old 11-07-23, 10:19 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
You need road disc brake calipers, because of the difference in cable pull between an MTB cable lever and a road cable lever. The TRP Spyre is generally regarded as great balance between price and function.
Old 11-07-23, 10:26 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Originally Posted by bboy314
TRP Spyre, Avid Bb7 Road to name a couple. Look for calipers made for short pull/road pull.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Cheers,
Van
Old 11-07-23, 11:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Hi folks,
I have a bunch of 10 speed Shimano 105 (5600/5700) components & recently got a 700c disc brake road wheelset. Are there any disc brake calipers that will work with the 5600 or 5700 lever/shifter combo? Certainly would like to tryout a disc brake road bike.
Thanks & regards,
Van
If you want to go really high zoot, there’s always Paul’s Klampers. You can even get arms to change the pull. Now, are they worth three times more than the TRP Spyre? Maybe. Maybe not. They are great brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-08-23, 03:30 AM
Max Reheat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Van,
For a Shimano alternative you could look at their BR-R517 cable pull calipers. I picked up a pair of these fairly cheap and run them with Tiagra 4600 shifters and they do a great job.
Old 11-08-23, 07:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
TRP Spyre, Paul Klamper, Growtac Equal, TRP HY/RD or BB7 Road would be good options. Shimano Mechanical calipers always have looked terrible unfortunately. Probably fine enough brakes (so long as not tourney or similar level) but all the others listed are good well regarded brakes.
Old 11-08-23, 09:00 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Next step info?

Hi folks,
Thanks & regards,
Van
OK, now that we’ve closed that one, any ideas for a reasonably priced frameset?😳. Keep in mind, these are “only” 105 ten speed parts.
Cheers,
Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 11-08-23 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-08-23, 09:23 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 276 Posts
If you want to go really high zoot, there’s always Paul’s Klampers. You can even get arms to change the pull. Now, are they worth three times more than the TRP Spyre? Maybe. Maybe not. They are great brakes.
The Klampers are worth every penny. Prior to purchasing them I couldn't find a real review were somebody answered the questions instead of pouting about the price and cracking on the one piston design. I recently found a review were the reviewer setup the Paul Klampers and accidently set them up the way I did By using the Yokozuna Reaction cable housing. They have really good stopping and modulation as good as some hydros.

Last edited by Rick; 11-08-23 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-09-23, 06:21 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
OK, now that we’ve closed that one, any ideas for a reasonably priced frameset?😳. Keep in mind, these are “only” 105 ten speed parts.
Cheers,
Van
Any particular style or frame material you’re after? I have an older Velo Orange pass hunter I like. Soma and Surly also have steel options. Otherwise most major manufacturers will have offerings in aluminum or carbon. Of course if you already have wheels you’ll want something compatible with those.
Old 11-09-23, 06:44 AM
AveCaesarAve

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Titus Roadrunner, Trek Checkpoint, Trek Multitrack 7900s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
TRP Spyre, Paul Klamper, Growtac Equal, TRP HY/RD or BB7 Road would be good options. Shimano Mechanical calipers always have looked terrible unfortunately. Probably fine enough brakes (so long as not tourney or similar level) but all the others listed are good well regarded brakes.
I have to disagree on the Shimano calipers - I had the BR-RS305 installed on my road bike and they look really well. For untrained eye they can be mistaken as Shimano 105 BR-R7170 hydraulic calipers.
Old 11-09-23, 09:49 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Rick
The Klampers are worth every penny. Prior to purchasing them I couldn't find a real review were somebody answered the questions instead of pouting about the price and cracking on the one piston design. I recently found a review were the reviewer setup the Paul Klampers and accidently set them up the way I did By using the Yokozuna Reaction cable housing. They have really good stopping and modulation as good as some hydros.
I have 4 bikes with Klampers. I like the brake and it works well. They have a very nice bling factor but they just don’t function that much better than far less expensive brakes. It’s not that the less expensive brakes function poorly…far from it. Avid BB7 or TRP Spyre are excellent brakes. They just happen to cost less. The TRPs aren’t my favorite due to their delicate pad adjusters but they function well.

I read the review you linked to and I gotta say that I think the author took some literary liberties. I don’t know what kind of mechanic he is either. I’ve installed them on 4 bikes now and I’ve never experienced anything like “… installed them and did the initial 2 rides (30 miles total) right before I left for an event in Oregon. They weren’t stopping really great and were a bit noisy.” Mine were ready to go out of the box and stopped well from the first time they were applied. I’m not a believer in the whole “pads need to be bedded” thing either. I’ve had many disc brakes and not a one of them performed poorly from the first application of the brake.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-09-23, 10:21 AM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Originally Posted by bboy314
Any particular style or frame material you’re after? I have an older Velo Orange pass hunter I like. Soma and Surly also have steel options. Otherwise most major manufacturers will have offerings in aluminum or carbon. Of course if you already have wheels you’ll want something compatible with those.
Hi,
Best match to my riding style would be what use to be called “sport touring” geometry. May now apply to gravel bikes. Either steel or aluminum. My townie is an old aluminum Giant Iguana with discs. Everything else is steel. Don’t particularly care for hybrids.
I have tendonitis in my shoulders & it is aggravated by stiff frames. I have two Waterford Paramounts that I can only ride for short distances.
Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers,
Van
Old 11-09-23, 01:13 PM
Rick

I have 4 bikes with Klampers. I like the brake and it works well. They have a very nice bling factor but they just don’t function that much better than far less expensive brakes. It’s not that the less expensive brakes function poorly…far from it. Avid BB7 or TRP Spyre are excellent brakes. They just happen to cost less. The TRPs aren’t my favorite due to their delicate pad adjusters but they function well.
Are you running compressionless housing with the Paul Klampers. What brake pads do you use? I am replacing the crane creek levers with the TRP levers today. I am not using the short piece of soft housing that goes in the tight curve. The Yokozuna Reaction housing doesn't flatten out in the curve like the other brands of compressionless housing. I am ordering some Trickstuff pads when in stock also.
Old 11-09-23, 02:00 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Personally I'd go with the TRP Spyres over anything else. Spyres have good reliability, reasonably priced, and are a dual pull, so both brake pads move inward to clamp the rotor as opposed to the BB7 Road single side pull.The TRO HY/RD aren't worth the money. Might as well just go full hydraulic.

Make sure to run quality compression less housing. I've always used Jagwire Pro cables. You could go with their Elite Sealed, but I think it's overkill for a road bike.
Old 11-09-23, 02:58 PM
Rick

Personally I'd go with the TRP Spyres over anything else. Spyres have good reliability, reasonably priced, and are a dual pull, so both brake pads move inward to clamp the rotor as opposed to the BB7 Road single side pull.The TRO HY/RD aren't worth the money. Might as well just go full hydraulic.
The TRP Spyres are a little on the flimsy side and there adjusters are weak and annoying to use. Dual piston isn't as powerful as the single piston made by Paul.

​​​​​​​Make sure to run quality compression less housing. I've always used Jagwire Pro cables. You could go with their Elite Sealed, but I think it's overkill for a road bike.
If you want high quality compressionless housing than run Yokozuna Reaction housing It doesn't flatten out around sharp bends on the road bars.
Old 11-09-23, 03:07 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
The TRP Spyres are a little on the flimsy side and there adjusters are weak and annoying to use. Dual piston isn't as powerful as the single piston made by Paul..
They might not be as powerful as the Pauls, but their significantly more affordable. I consider Paul's stuff to be high end. Not everyone can afford it. I can and I'd still go with the Spyres. Power isn't everything. It's part of what's needed in a brake system. Modulation is more important than power. Locking up a wheel due to high power isn't everything you want in a brake system.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-09-23, 03:33 PM
cyccommute 

Are you running compressionless housing with the Paul Klampers. What brake pads do you use? I am replacing the crane creek levers with the TRP levers today. I am not using the short piece of soft housing that goes in the tight curve. The Yokozuna Reaction housing doesn't flatten out in the curve like the other brands of compressionless housing. I am ordering some Trickstuff pads when in stock also.
No because I haven’t found any need for compressionless housing. The Pauls work just fine with no lack of ability nor any need for any kind of upgrade in braking power. But that’s my point about all brakes. Less expensive brakes work just as well without any further need for upgrades either.

Old 11-09-23, 03:50 PM
Rick

They might not be as powerful as the Pauls, but their significantly more affordable. I consider Paul's stuff to be high end. Not everyone can afford it. I can and I'd still go with the Spyres. Power isn't everything. It's part of what's needed in a brake system. Modulation is more important than power. Locking up a wheel due to high power isn't everything you want in a brake system.
I only have one bike. I have good modulation I have never locked up the brakes on this bicycle. I saved and bought the Paul Klampers knowing they would be durable. Using the Yokozuna Reaction brake cable housing made the brake modulation very good. The Klampers cost more than some hydros. I have frame couplers so mechanical brakes are what I use. If I weighed less than 200 lbs I might consider using something like the Spyres. I have an ebike rotor on the front of my bike. I use sintered pads and am about to order the Kool-Stop Aero-Pro sintered pads. Those other calipers don't stop or modulate as well as my Klampers.
Old 11-10-23, 12:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Hi folks,
Thanks & regards,
Van
do you have a frame with disc mounts and a fork designed for disc with mounts? not clear, but kinda needed

Old 11-10-23, 02:29 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Hi,
No frame, only an aluminum fork with a 1 1/8 steerer, which I considered putting on my Ridley CX bike. I’m still looking for suggestions on a frame or frameset. Not looking for anything high $ or exotic. My only disc bike is a 2004 Giant Iguana set up as a townie with 9 X 1 gearing & 29er wheels.
Sorry for the confusion. Seems my posting became an argument about cost vs performance of disc calipers.
Cheers,
Van
Old 11-10-23, 02:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Hi,
No frame, only an aluminum fork with a 1 1/8 steerer, which I considered putting on my Ridley CX bike. I’m still looking for suggestions on a frame or frameset. Not looking for anything high $ or exotic. My only disc bike is a 2004 Giant Iguana set up as a townie with 9 X 1 gearing & 29er wheels.
Sorry for the confusion. Seems my posting became an argument about cost vs performance of disc calipers.
Cheers,
Van
What is your frame budget? "Reasonably priced" is vague.
Old 11-10-23, 07:45 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Originally Posted by Eric F
What is your frame budget? "Reasonably priced" is vague.
Hi Eric​​​​​​,
Since this is a bit of an experiment & I’m a retiree, I’d like to keep it below $250 for frameset. Looking for suggestions because I have reduced price access through the co-op where I volunteer. Also, we periodically get unique items donated.
Thanks & regards,
Van
Old 11-10-23, 08:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Originally Posted by AveCaesarAve
I have to disagree on the Shimano calipers - I had the BR-RS305 installed on my road bike and they look really well. For untrained eye they can be mistaken as Shimano 105 BR-R7170 hydraulic calipers.
Those ones look a little better but I haven't seen them in real life just in pictures. It would be tough to mistake them for hydraulics but certainly the pads would help on that front if looking from far away.
Old 11-10-23, 10:40 PM
Rick

No because I haven’t found any need for compressionless housing. The Pauls work just fine with no lack of ability nor any need for any kind of upgrade in braking power. But that’s my point about all brakes. Less expensive brakes work just as well without any further need for upgrades either.
There is a significant increase in stopping power and modulation with the compressionless housing. There is absolutely no sponginess in the levers either. I am heavy and still can't lock up the rear brake with this setup. I live in the high desert and there is mostly up or down. The brakes have only squaled when hot, coming down a grade. I am going to try the heatsink model of the Kool-Stop pads. I spoke to paul about the pads this week. Paul sent me the new KLAMPER ADJUST DETENT KIT. There is a grub screw, spring and ball bearing. This makes the pad adjusters work better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.