Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Performance Wheelset Decision on New Tandem?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Performance Wheelset Decision on New Tandem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-24, 01:53 AM
CaliTexan

Bikes: 2019 Co-Motion Carrera (S&S) / 1998 Litespeed Tuscany / 2014 Wilier Zero 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by david@raber.us
It has been 6 years since this thread about tandem rims started. The world has changed a bit since then, including recently finding our 1998 Co-Motion stolen from our locked Explorer in our driveway. We found a nice used Carrera, but want to upgrade the wheels since they were optimized for a heavier couple.

Just like Woodcycl, we are right around 290lb to 300lb. Six years after he posted the question, we have the same question regarding today's high-end tandem wheelsets. We run 32m tires and are looking at Spinergy and Rolf. We are a bit shy about the Rolf limiting inflation for 32 tires to 80lbs. We have found that around 88 to 89 is great on the old rims. We would love to get your input on Rolf vs Spinergy for modest speed paved roads and trails.
We have been riding Rolf carbon tandem wheels on our Co-Motion for about 5 years. Typically running 32 mm tires @ 90 psi. I just checked the Rolf manual, and it does not have an 80 psi limit for these rims. We did crack one rim on a piece of angle iron in a tight bike lane, but it did not fail catastrophically. Rolf’s repair service was prompt.
Old 04-14-24, 08:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Personally, I do not like the Rolf paired spoke design. It requires higher spoke tension raising issues with both hub and rim failures.

We had the Aluminum Rolfs, and over a few years, both rims and both hubs failed. All were spoke pull throughs resulting form the higher spoke tension.

Admittedly, I haven’t ridden the carbon Rolfs, and the rims may be stronger but I’d still worry about the hubs.

Also if you break a single spoke on Rolf it’s going to likely be unrideable. Whereas with a conventionally spoked wheel you can get home one or even two spokes down.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-14-24 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-14-24, 09:00 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
We’ve had good luck with custom built lightbicycle wheels. Ours are 65mm Falcons, 28 spokes, Dt240 hubs, and the extra strong rim option, which adds 100 grams of carbon to the rims. ( which is likely over kill)

6 years, 20,000 miles on those wheels, team weight 350lbs, and zero issues. Also cheaper than the Rolf’s.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-14-24, 11:08 AM
mikemelbrooks

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Just cleaned the tandem after finishing the New Forest Sportive yesterday, I found the rattle that started halfway round was a chunk of wheel broken where two spokes go into the rim. (Rolf tandem) We did hit a couple of big pot holes, they were hard to spot under the dappled sunlight. Any way, has anyone used a gravel or mountain bike wheel on their tandem I am thinking they would be stronger.
Old 04-14-24, 03:52 PM
david@raber.us

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike, were you Rolf's carbon or alloy?
Old 04-15-24, 02:44 AM
mikemelbrooks

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Aluminium, I am surprised at how true the wheel stayed!
Old 04-15-24, 07:05 PM
david@raber.us

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an impressive photo of an impressive failure.
Old 04-19-24, 08:07 PM
MRacing

Bikes: Calfee Dragonfly, Comotion Java, Time, Cervelo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Still successfully running our Rolf carbon 60mm wheels(3 years), we’ve had great luck with other Rolf wheels over the past 10 years with our other tandems also. The hubs have been bullet proof(White Industries supplies them) and share components with our other WI/Zipp 404 wheels. We’re about 280lbs and typically use these wheels when we travel and are lighter than the Zipps, currently using 28mm conti gp4 season tires, will change to 32mm soon.
Old 04-27-24, 02:23 PM
wtandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diabloridr
We've been using the 2017 version of the Rolf carbon wheelset for about a year.

I would need a lot of familiarity with a custom builder to have the same confidence in their product for such a niche market as tandems.

Let me know if you have further questions.
So, just adding a bit more information and familiarity with wheelbuilder.com. I have know the owner for about 20 years. He is a great guy and knows more about wheels than anyone I have ever met. I have purchased 3 sets of tandem wheels from Rich over the years they have been flawless. I have also purchased parts to build wheels for my 1976 Jack Taylor restoration. Again Rich was very helpful. Got the last set of Phil Wood hubs that would take a freewheel for the Jack Taylor.
Old 04-29-24, 04:56 AM
hokoman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRacing
Still successfully running our Rolf carbon 60mm wheels(3 years), we’ve had great luck with other Rolf wheels over the past 10 years with our other tandems also. The hubs have been bullet proof(White Industries supplies them) and share components with our other WI/Zipp 404 wheels. We’re about 280lbs and typically use these wheels when we travel and are lighter than the Zipps, currently using 28mm conti gp4 season tires, will change to 32mm soon.
WOW. That Bingham looks perfect!!!