Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walmart's best!

Old 10-10-21, 09:07 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 202 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think you've confused your various threads. This is the Walmart thread. Random non-Wally bikes that offend you should probably go in one of your other threads. I expect it's hard to keep up.
The bike doesn't offend me at all. I am trying to point out how I don't understand why some people remove the front brake.
Old 10-11-21, 07:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by grant40
The bike doesn't offend me at all. I am trying to point out how I don't understand why some people remove the front brake.
I've heard "oh, I only use the rear brake anyway" a distressing number of times, and not just from newbie riders!

Outside of our Sheldon-enlightened bubble, there are still a lot of riders who think that the front brake is going to send them over the bars, so they rely only on the rear brake for "safety."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-11-21 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-11-21, 08:48 AM
roadsnakes

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 112 Posts

Features:
  • 3 spoke aluminum wheels: lightweight and more durable
  • Gift for friend
  • Disc Brakes
  • Fashionable, advanced Suspension, Shimanos Derailleur, SHimanos 30 Shifter
  • Disc brakes-Mechanical,Fast delivery
  • High quality, Full suspensio
  • Mens/womens bikes
Accessories introduction:
  • F/derailleur: Shimanos TZ-30
  • r/derailleur: Shimanos TZ-50
  • Shifter: Shimanos 30
  • Freewheel: 7 tower wheels
  • Chain: 108 chain
  • Chainwheel: 170 three small sprocket
  • Frame/Fork: One-piece front fork
  • Handlebar/stem: one bend
  • Tire: 700c
  • Frame: high carbon steel
  • Brake: mechanical disc brake
  • Product description:
  • Tire size: 26in
  • Product size: 150x25x(59-70)cm/59x9.8x(23-27.5)in
  • Product packaging size: 134x72x19cm/52x28x7.5in
  • Gross weight: 18kg
Products include:
  • 1x bicycle
  • Good quality: The sturdy frame, mountain bike frame and excellent welding technology make it a sturdy and durable cruise bike.
  • Unique tire: 26 inch fashion rim tire is more secure and firm. It has 21 speeds to cope with hilly terrain, and the gear shifting is great and smooth. All-terrain, wide-knob mountain tires sit on lightweight and durable alloy wheels for added stability.
  • Enjoy cycling: Stunt bikes are very suitable for mountain, wasteland, and effective on roads, trails, cities, beaches or snow.
  • Easy assembly: The package includes free pedals and comfortable seats. Requires assembly.
  • UMfun Road Bike 21 Speed 700c Carbon Steel Frame Commuters Aluminum with Full Suspension & Mechanical Disc Brakes Anti-Slip Bikes for Adult Men Women(White,Blue)
'

Frame looks too small for an adult rider.
Fix the brake position, and it could be "OK" for a kid to bomb around on.
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 10-11-21, 09:02 AM
grant40

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I've heard "oh, I only use the rear brake anyway" a distressing number of times, and not just from newbie riders!

Outside of our Sheldon-enlightened bubble, there are still a lot of riders who think that the front brake is going to send them over the bars, so they rely only on the rear brake for "safety."
I admit that when I was 10 years old I thought it would be cool to remove the front brake from my Walmart full suspension bike. I proceeded to do so. At the same time I kept the kickstand and didn't want to take it off. I cringe whenever I think of it.
Old 10-11-21, 09:09 AM
grant40

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'

Frame looks too small for an adult rider.
Fix the brake position, and it could be "OK" for a kid to bomb around on.
It said that it fits people down to 44 inches (about 3.7 feet) tall. I'm guessing that this is a really tiny frame.
Old 10-11-21, 09:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Are we supposed to make fun of them for buying one?
There is nothing you are supposed to do. If you find it to be comical, absurd, goofy, etc- then say so. If you find it to be legit, valuable, good, etc- then say so.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-11-21, 09:27 AM
grant40

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Are we supposed to make fun of them for buying one?
Not making fun of but more of I can't believe someone actually lacked the common sense to not buy one.
Old 10-11-21, 09:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 940 Posts
Somebody actually bought one.
I was thinking that the bars needed a hobo angle to look right.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-11-21, 05:19 PM
grant40

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I was thinking that the bars needed a hobo angle to look right.
Don't forget the backward stem
Likes For grant40:
Old 10-12-21, 07:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 587 Posts
Is has anyone else noticed the bar tape going around the brake lever?
Wrapping the tape around the brake levers uses up all the excess tape that would just get trimmed at the end..... Or some such logic.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 10-12-21, 09:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is nothing you are supposed to do. If you find it to be comical, absurd, goofy, etc- then say so. If you find it to be legit, valuable, good, etc- then say so.

How about if I find it to be a bunch of people trying to make themselves feel smarter by looking for other people to look down on?
Old 10-12-21, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Not making fun of but more of I can't believe someone actually lacked the common sense to not buy one.

So a post where you're mocking their alleged lack of common sense is supposed to indicate you're NOT making fun of them?

I think you crossed a line from making fun of the marketing/manufacture of it (probably reasonable, they can defend themselves) to making fun of a consumer (bullying)

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-12-21 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 09:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
How about if I find it to be a bunch of people trying to make themselves feel smarter by looking for other people to look down on?
Then say so.
No need to say it to me though, since I havent even commented on the bikes or ad pics to this point.

Ill toss my opinion in, since you are for some reason quoting me and poking for something- I find the advertisement pictures to be a total joke and any company that is making and selling these bikes should be embarrassed at the low amateur level quality of the pics and bike builds. I have no desire to offer an opinion on the consumers who have purchased the bikes.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-12-21, 10:01 AM
grant40

So a post where you're mocking their alleged lack of common sense is supposed to indicate you're NOT making fun of them?

I think you crossed a line from making fun of the marketing/manufacture of it (probably reasonable, they can defend themselves) to making fun of a consumer (bullying)
I'm still not bullying as I am just amazed that someone bought that bike as it is obviously overpriced. It's not a judge on the person. I could care less about who bought it. If GCN bought it, I would have the same reaction.
Old 10-12-21, 10:34 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedk13
The whole thing kind of hurts my eyes.
It made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I don't understand... it's not hard to make a decent bike. Why is junk like this being offered? I think I know: There must be a market, i.e. demand, for it. But it's a perfect example of form over function. In practically every way, this bike will give poor performance, comfort, durability, etc. Some consumers don't care, because it LOOKS COOL, and apparently that is the most important thing to them. But we must get the word out! Please tell your family, friends and neighbors. Do it for the children! There is no reason to ride junky bikes. Millions of decent bikes exist. Thousands are for sale every day, in the new and used markets. They are not very expensive, and they will actually be safe, long-lasting, and enjoyable. I can't imagine anyone getting real enjoyment from this detritus, at least not if they want to actually ride.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-12-21, 12:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Then say so.
No need to say it to me though, since I havent even commented on the bikes or ad pics to this point.

Ill toss my opinion in, since you are for some reason quoting me and poking for something- I find the advertisement pictures to be a total joke and any company that is making and selling these bikes should be embarrassed at the low amateur level quality of the pics and bike builds. I have no desire to offer an opinion on the consumers who have purchased the bikes.
You commented on a comment asking whether we were supposed to make fun. I'm quoting you because you obviously ignored the point of Siu's post.

OP sure was offering an opinion on the consumers, and just did it again while claiming he wasn't.
Old 10-12-21, 12:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm still not bullying as I am just amazed that someone bought that bike as it is obviously overpriced. It's not a judge on the person. I could care less about who bought it. If GCN bought it, I would have the same reaction.
Yeah, I'm not buying the distinction--you went after their lack of common sense. Being "amazed" is also a judgment. Maybe just knock it off instead of trying to justify it?
Old 10-12-21, 01:09 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
All I can do is slap my forehead and sigh when I see something like the description of the used GMC Denali, whose owner removed the front brake because “going fast and hitting the front brake is never good.” (We can reasonably assume “fast” to him is anything over 12 mph.) But is it really NEVER good, like never-ever? I mean, if you say so, bruh. Seems like we should be insisting manufacturers get on board with modern safety standards and stop putting brakes on their bikes!

Or… even if you truly believe front brakes are dangerous, what’s so hard about leaving it in place and just not using it? Oh, I see. He goes on to list the advantages of his custom modification: weight savings and more room for hands on the bar, at least in the ramp area where the brake lever was installed, because you would never be able to put your hand on that hood?

He's one of the guys I often see riding against traffic, i.e., riding on the left side of the road. Because, you know, safety first.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-12-21, 01:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

You commented on a comment asking whether we were supposed to make fun. I'm quoting you because you obviously ignored the point of Siu's post.

OP sure was offering an opinion on the consumers, and just did it again while claiming he wasn't.
Siu made a point? I thought Siu asked a question. You even say Siu asked a question. I didnt ignore anything- I answered Siu's question.
Keep working the outrage angle. I gave you comments to work from.
Old 10-12-21, 01:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Siu made a point? I thought Siu asked a question. You even say Siu asked a question. I didnt ignore anything- I answered Siu's question.
Keep working the outrage angle. I gave you comments to work from.
Let's try this question--

"How illiterate does one have to be to not know what a rhetorical question is?"

By the way, I also just asked you a question, which you considered "poking" and got all huffy. Talk about phony-baloney offense taking.
Old 10-12-21, 01:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
The bike looks unsafe if not anatomically impossible to ride, as it appears in the photos. The fact that the company could not even take a picture of a person riding the bike---even in the same room as the bike---makes me wonder a little. The brakes are so far from the seat a person would almost have to stop and get off the bike and walk around front of it to reach the brakes---which wouldn't work anyway because the levers are secured by bar tape.

I will ridicule the bike, the people who made it, the people who sort of wrote and almost translated the ad copy----because the whole thing was a pure crap job. Anyone who laid out the money to actually build the thing wasted that money, and anyone who bought one .... nothing good to say about that person. Anyone who tried to ride that bike would know in an instant that it is unsafe at any speed.--- that "instant" being when they wanted to stop and get off.

I will heap mockery on anyone in any way associated with the product,. including the "reviewers on this site---including myself. Why not? As you can all attest, I am a humble man.

Enough with the virtue-signaling. There is noting not humorous about any aspect of this thread except for the bitter sadness of the poor children who begged their parents to get them bicycles, only to find one of those in the driveway.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-12-21, 05:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3629 Post(s)
Liked 5,296 Times in 2,690 Posts
It's true that we have members who have proudly(?) posted their own bikes, every bit as ridiculous as this. That said, I don't get the fascination. You can find every kind of junk product online but why spend time contemplating it?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-12-21, 05:38 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Let's try this question--

"How illiterate does one have to be to not know what a rhetorical question is?"

By the way, I also just asked you a question, which you considered "poking" and got all huffy. Talk about phony-baloney offense taking.
The answer is 7. One must be 7 illiterate or greater to not know what a rhetorical question is.

As for the rest- I don't want to get into am unimportant bickering match over who is holiest. You win that, I am not worthy.
Old 10-12-21, 06:22 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
WALMART's BEST may very well be the 31 pound GMC DENALI 700C 21 speed bicycle that they sold so many of. This Kent bicycle is currently in production today as the GENESIS SABER. It is the same exact bike as the DENALI, just with different wording on the sticker decals since Kent no longer has a licensing agreement with General Motors. Laugh if you want to but there are hundreds of thousands of folks that love the Kent Gmc Denali, now badged as the Kent Genesis Saber.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-heck-not.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTdWX6VzllU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3UZjFiT3Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QWh0Ph-eE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZT49JO2J3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtQwV5Khog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHfRK-mUNxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz1fZoYDzww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AKY6rgLo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHcXrkpfxg

https://kent.bike.com/collections/al...sis-saber-road

Here is the link for the old Denali, as you can see it is the same bicycle as the current GENESIS SABER
https://kent.bike.com/collections/ro...me-road-denali

Just like the old Denali came in three Mens sizes, Small(20 inch frame) or Medium(22 inch frame) or Large (25 inch frame), so does the current GENESIS SABER.
Kent also continues to offer the (17 inch Womens frame) too with the same frame and equipment as on the former Denali version.

The KENT GMC Denali was a very popular WALLYWORLD as it was offered with the GMC DENALI decals for a decade and a half and it was massively popular for each year it was offered. There are many folks still happily riding these fifteen year old Wallyworld specials. Yes, perhaps 31 pounds and a Wallyworld pedigree is something a "serious cyclist" may detest but despite the jokes about the assembly from the Wallyworld assemblers, most of these Kent bikes are still going strong.
There are many folks that find them to be decent enough and very reliable bicycles for their pace and style of riding. You cannot argue with that. Once, not too long ago, I heard an absolute idiot trying to explain to someone else why an early seventies Campagnolo equipped , European 10 speed would be superior to the basic but Shimano equipped 21 speed 700C Denali that they were riding. You have to really laugh as there is no doubt that such a classic bike has mkt value but to suggest to someone who cares only about reliabilty and functionality, that is like telling someone to go buy a 1972 Porsche 911 instead of buying a two year old, 2020 Kia Soul.
Sure, it might be a valid suggestion if that bicycle rider has the knowledge and skills to know how to adjust, and maintain vintage equipment. Campagnolo, Simplex, and Huret rear derailleurs weren't nearly as reliable as early Seventies SHIMANO & Maeda SUNTOUR units. There is a segment of the population that just wants to drive from point A to point B each time with supreme reliabilty and decent overall economy...........this does not mean frequent trips to the dealership service bay, or the mechanic at an independent professional automotive repair facility. Bicycle consumers at levels less than the "spandex be like Lance , serious cyclsts, don't care so much about what it weighs and how fast it might go. They are "sold" on these ideas by those with a vested interest to sell the particular bikes that they carry in their shops. They cannot compete in economy basic bicycles with Wallyworld or Target, so their only strategic option is to bash the very basic offerings of the big box store chains, referring to those offerings as BSO (bicycle shaped objects) and this strategy is successful in that many consumers within a certain peer group crave a certain level of approval and acceptance, and thus are too insecure and afraid of being the person riding the "unacceptable image" bicycle even though its functionality as a basic bicycle is adequate and mostly flawless. Certainly, there are more technologically advanced and perhaps better features on many much more expensive Local Bike Shop bicycle offerings, but essentially if you only need a brand new economy car or a brand new affordable mini van, you do not generally go shopping at the Ferrari or Porsche dealership. This is probably where the entire industry serving the Local Bike Shops, really misses the boat in my opinion. It is more than a Catch-22 situation because the LBS cannot compete with WALLYWORLD or TARGET, and if they began to offer compareable basic bicycles, then the serious cyclists would acclaim that ABC bike shop and XYZ brand is losing their luster because they are now catering to "common anybodies" rather than to a somewhat exclusive clientele, as it should be. All of Wallyworld's bikes are not bad and not all of the bike shop offerings from recognized names are great. Basic bicycles are not terribly complicated. Even some of the lesser quality Wallyworld specials can be simply and easily sorted out by the do-it-yourselfer to be near perfect in functionality and durabilty as a basic bicycle. If you still are too timid and afraid to be seen riding a basic Wallyworld bicycle, then for about $20 to $25 total cost, you can purchase a neat looking colorful DECAL set for whatever marque, past or present, and give your bicycle an "upgrade". Most of the boneheads that bash these low end Wallyworld offerings wouldn't have a clue from 10ft away. You can mix and match, or make your own. Search: bicycle decal set (all categories on EBAY) and that should give you hours of fun looking at all the different reproductions being offered by various people in various countries. Though many here on bikeforums do not believe that it is even possible, but there are many people who seem to really enjoy riding Wal-mart bicycles. The youtube videos attest that this is so..
DUDE !!! I Can't Read THAT !!!!
<CR> and double-spacing PLEEZ !
LOL!
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-12-21, 06:30 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
  • UMfun Road Bike 21 Speed 700c Carbon Steel Frame Commuters Aluminum with Full Suspension & Mechanical Disc Brakes Anti-Slip Bikes for Adult Men Women(White,Blue)
SON of FREESPIRIT !!!!
schweet !
... well you can't call it 'GASPIPE'... and it is Crapon...
luv it !
and add special edition feature lighting - LED headlight

Godzilla 2000 Lumins - butt based USB recharge-abel - 3 modes flashing/steady LED/ shark-based superlaser beam for disabling steel-based, moron operated vee-hickels !!!

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-12-21 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.