Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Good Quality Lights

Old 10-09-21, 02:29 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good Quality Lights

I am in market for some new bike lights. That I will be using for trail riding, in the winter as well. The lights I have right now were good buy around 30 dollars and do last a while but the batteries do short out now and then it seems and do have to buy new batteries every year.

Looking for something that will work well in all types of conditions as well have a long battery power. Meaning I can go riding in the bush for 4+ hours with confidence. As well the battery will last a long time. Of course easy to recharge as well.
Both good handle bar mount and helmet too.
suggestions too. thanks

What lights do you all of you use at the moment?
Old 10-09-21, 03:47 PM
Gravel Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Outbound Lighting. I'm using the Evo/Hangover combination. Expensive but well worth it!
Old 10-11-21, 09:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
for off road I prefer a light with a wide beam pattern. I bought a new light last year, which is much brighter than what I had & it has a better beam pattern, but it's kinda narrow for off road. I have it mounted n a helmet & I like that. looking forward to using with my 1st light mounted on the bars. I guess having a narrow beam mounted on a helmet is OK, because one can turn their head & the light follows the direction of the eyes. maybe a wide beam is more important for a stationary light?
Old 10-11-21, 11:02 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I like the Cygolite Metro 800 for bar-mount, and the Cygolite Dash Pro 600 for helmet-mount.

Last edited by Riveting; 10-11-21 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 10-20-21, 08:25 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I like the Fenix BC30 V2.0. It uses a pair of 18650 batteries that are easily removed from the light for charging. It's also possible to quickly swap in a fresh pair of batteries.

The beam pattern works well for me. For riding on the road in full dark, I usually use the 600 lumen mode. It includes a wireless remote switch that can be mounted on the handlebar, and that allows one to cycle through the different brightness levels. It also allows one to assert "burst mode" at maximum brightness for up to 30 seconds.

When I don't need the headlight to see, I use the high/low blinking mode to "be seen".

Fenix has a helmet mount available, but I have no personal experience using this light in that way; just on the handlebars.
Old 10-20-21, 05:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
I have a Fenix light, that thing is magic when I need it.
Old 10-24-21, 08:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravel Rider
Outbound Lighting. I'm using the Evo/Hangover combination. Expensive but well worth it!
I just bought the Outbound Trail EVO after checking out a couple that folks I ride with bought. Freaking outstanding bar light. It is the first time I don't feel like I am riding in a tunnel. This light truly proves it is not the amount of lumens (though this has plenty), it is how you spread them out. I have some Chinese Amazon lights that are probably 2x the lumens, but I can see SOOOO much better with the Trail Evo. Great company too.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/

As far as the 4 hour run time the OP is looking for....if he wants to run it on high the whole time, that will require getting a decent sized powerbank with Qualcom Quick Charge 3.0 in order to deliver the charge fast enough. Also requires that you hook the powerbank up from the start. I am looking into that, though realistically, the runtime without an external battery is fine for what I use it for.

I use a Cygolite Metro 850 on my helmet. My helmet comes with a go-pro mount attachment, and I have a Cygolite adapter for that. I like that I the light clips in and out of the mount so easily, so I can leave the light in my pack until I need it, and then it clicks in in seconds. Also works well as a bar light on my commuter bike and road bike.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-29-21, 12:47 AM
JohnFord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have a Fenix light, that thing is magic when I need it.
It's true, I support!