Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pickup Bed Bike Rack Options

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pickup Bed Bike Rack Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-21, 04:48 AM
Quijote

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know a guy that has a full sized pickup that just puts a moving blanket over his tailgate. He then takes the bikes and orients them so that the front tire is hanging out the back. This keeps them upright and doesn't allow them to move around. He gets 5 bikes in there like that. Granted, 3 are not full sized, they are his kids' bikes. This would provide no security, but would be good for a quick trip.
Old 10-18-21, 06:04 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
I know we all live with different levels of want, need and ability but a 10 foot 2x4 is enough length to do it yourself for any single bike rack/ hold-down in the back of a truck. Less chance of scratches with wood also.
Old 10-18-21, 07:55 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
To be fair, My kids' bikes are 650c wheeled road bikes and my wife's bike is a small Terry style bike as well, So they are not 4 full sized bikes.
But I don't see why you couldn't lean and tie down 3 road bikes along the two sides and the back of the truck bed.
That's how bikes get scratched and damaged.
Old 10-18-21, 07:56 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Blues
My favorite bike transportation method in my Ford Ranger is to run a 1/4" line from the saddle around the side rail at the top of the truck side bed wall and back to the stem. I do the line fastening with the bike standing upright a foot from the bed wall. When tied off, I brace my elbows on top of the bed side and grab the fork and seat stay and tilt the tires into the corner of the pickup wall and floor. The line is adjusted so the bike is leaning toward the mid-line of the truck at abut a 45 degree angle, and the tires perfectly span the wheel well, immobilizing the bike. We can fit two bikes in the Ranger short bed. To get the bikes out, just reverse the whole process. The Ranger bed is just long enough to close the tail gate. I have loops in the ends of my line, one with a slip knot, so adjustment is quick. For a longer trip I will tie the top of the bike to the other side of the truck bed, so if I was in a fender bender the bike would stay in the truck bed. This system also works on my Wife's Colorado.
This has red neck written all over it.
Old 10-18-21, 08:21 AM
ArneDarvin

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 2.0

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have seen this on a number of occasions around my area, but only this weekend did I see someone with a protective cover over their tailgate. The others had nothing and always gave me the pause that one could damage both the bike and the truck this way.
Old 10-18-21, 08:44 AM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This has red neck written all over it.

Name calling is mature and productive. But, maybe it's worth it go get someone to smile. We certainly need to do more smiling.

No matter if you like the esthetic of the rigging system, it securely holds the bike in the truck bed and is quick and easy to rig. I have used this system regularly for a long time and on some long trips. I did have to add a tie down eye to my Wife's Colorado to use it.
Old 10-18-21, 09:41 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
That's how bikes get scratched and damaged.
Not if you tie everything down. The only things touching anything are the sides of the pedals and the tires.
Old 10-18-21, 12:31 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Blues
Name calling is mature and productive. But, maybe it's worth it go get someone to smile. We certainly need to do more smiling.

No matter if you like the esthetic of the rigging system, it securely holds the bike in the truck bed and is quick and easy to rig. I have used this system regularly for a long time and on some long trips. I did have to add a tie down eye to my Wife's Colorado to use it.
I wasn't name calling.
Old 10-18-21, 04:22 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts

I like my RockyMounts setup for our road bikes.