Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Modifying Tern Link D8

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Modifying Tern Link D8

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-20, 03:50 PM
Duderman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Modifying Tern Link D8

Hey, is it possible to change my tern link d8 wheels to road wheel? Lets say like the verge series wheels? If so will it be hard?

thanks

Last edited by Duderman; 03-07-20 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-07-20, 06:06 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I do not know what the D8 means but the only difference in road versus off road wheels is the tire tread. Roger
Old 03-08-20, 12:02 AM
Duderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So..? Has this been done before?
Old 03-08-20, 02:59 AM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
The Tern Links use 406 standard 20” wheels. Most Tern Verges use 451 standard 20” wheels which have a slightly larger diameter, if that’s what you’re considering using? As the D8 uses v-brakes you will need ones that have a different reach to standard v-brakes - LitePro produce them for this purpose.
Old 03-08-20, 06:16 AM
Duderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great to hear, so its possible? Is the frame and all going to be ok with it? Have you heard Anyone attempt this?
Old 03-08-20, 08:52 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Still don't understand what you are trying to do. What do you want to do?

You want to change from a 406 rim to a 451 rim?
Or you want to switch the tire from a wide tire to a narrow tire?

If you want to switch from 406 rim to 451 rim, you can do a google search and find some blogs or forum threads regarding this. If you don't want to do a google search, then I can give you a couple things to think about. First, you need to find out if your frame has enough clearance to add the extra 45mm of diameter. What tire width do you have now on the 406 rim? What tire width will you have with the 451 rim? If you 're going to use the same width of tire and assuming they both have the exact same cross section, then you have to see if your current tire has 45mm + 3-5mm extra space to the frame. If not, then no, you cannot use a wider rim. If yes, then you can try, but you have to attach a LitePro brake arm extender, but you are adding a lot more torque onto the brake mounting boss.

So why do you want to switch from 406 to 451 rim? You know that tire options are much less on 451 rims because they're less common than 406 rims? 451 rims are also less common.
Old 03-12-20, 12:16 PM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi in short, its really not worth it. Its all about the knock-on effect. I had a Link C8 and was contemplating the same thing, after pricing out V brake extenders or new extended reach V-brakes (Litepros), new 451 wheels, most likely a short while after you will want to change the crank out for something bigger (my C8 was a 52T and the Verge was 55T) to be able to push through to the speed you now can go. Thats a new chain. Then you will get tired of the shifting and yearn for something better.

It works out cheaper to sell on as-is and buy a used or new Tern Verge P9 or P10 and start from there. I did that and it worked out cheaper for me.
Old 03-12-20, 12:32 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Duderman
So..? Has this been done before?
Can't believe it's been 11 years ago, but yes, it's been done before and I was really happy with the end result..

https://www.bikeforums.net/9824032-post1.html
Likes For BruceMetras:
Old 03-16-20, 12:57 AM
Duderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! thats a superb tweak :0

Yeah i guess ill just take it easy...
selling isn't an option now...

How are tern still a legitimate company for bikes? Or are theses cases rare?
Old 03-22-20, 05:26 PM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on how heavy you are and how mindful you are when riding I guess. I weigh 74kg and I tend to avoid potholes while riding as I hated the way it would throw me off line.

On the Tern Verge I was able to keep up with some roadies, but it definately takes some more effort. I was dropped waaay earlier using the C8.

Weight is a big difference between the two as well. The C8 was pushing 12kg while the Verge was around 9.5kg so you really need to think about whether you are going for speed (Verge) or touring (st)ability (Link).
Incidentally, my colleagues husband has a Link C7 which he spent way more than the cost of the bike to get it to the similar level of my Verge. Though he regeared it for climbs too. Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-20, 11:49 PM
Duderman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate it guys thanks 😊
Old 01-06-21, 05:36 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I'm making a zombie thread here, instead of posting a new one altogether.

That said, can anyone kindly fill me in on the Formula hubs that come stock with the Link D8.

Are they sealed cartridge bearing hubs (as opposed to cup and cone hubs)?

Also, with the stem, the Andros, does anyone know the clamping diameter? It sort of looks like it clamps to 22.2 mm sections of flat bars, rather than the 25.4 or 31.8 middle section of most bars.

Can you change the bars on the bike at all or do you have to go with the stock flat bars?

Thanks for any answers in advance.
Old 01-06-21, 05:43 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Also, with the stem, the Andros, does anyone know the clamping diameter? It sort of looks like it clamps to 22.2 mm sections of flat bars, rather than the 25.4 or 31.8 middle section of most bars.

Can you change the bars on the bike at all or do you have to go with the stock flat bars?
Andros stem > 25.4mm clamping diameter. With the Andros stem, you need bars that have a wide enough clamping area for the stem (has to be 25.mm diameter further out from the center of the bar compared to normal bars).
Likes For Kabuto: