Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What was actually carried by Jim Blackburn front racks?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What was actually carried by Jim Blackburn front racks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 12:27 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Stuff.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-24-20, 12:27 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
i carried a banana and binoculars on mine for my morning rides to the coast when i was stationed at Pease AFB in NH. wish i could find another one of those racks (not another banana) ... i look for them now and then on ebay but no old style blackburns...
Old 12-24-20, 12:35 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I mainly wanted something that would keep a bag from flopping off the side of the rack. If I had one sitting around, I'd have used one of those deep, legal size letter trays. The Wald baskets are kind of big, leftovers from the days when kids delivered newspapers. Ace Hardware by me has some medium sized wire baskets that looked promising too.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-racks/6109565

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...-racks/6109557
Yes exactly the right size, should fit a case of beer perfectly
Old 12-24-20, 01:35 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
This maybe a silly question but arent these front racks purpose built to carry front panniers?
The answer seems to "sorta" The catalog picture I posted and the link to the Cannondale catalog show front panniers mounted, but the wraparound Blackburn rack had a tombstone for a Handle bar bag that doesn't seem to have existed in the US market at the time. The later Blackburn "study" suggests that front panniers should go on lowriders, which the catalog page of racks show directly mounted to a front rack with nothing on top. So I asked the question...
Old 12-24-20, 01:47 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
That rack works great with caliper brakes, for cantis you need very careful placement for panniers to not jam the brake arms. It's a good rack design as far as placing front weight. I have used both handlebar bags and panniers on them including on extended tours.
Old 12-24-20, 02:25 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
The Sackville small trunk fits like a glove on these racks, I mean absolutely perfect...and the small trunk holds a six pack quite well. I also have attached my fender to this rack using a rear rack brace.

Old 12-24-20, 02:59 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think that I mostly saw the front racks as stabilizers for low riders. And probably carry some stuff on top. I think most people that toured in the '70s just used rear racks, which is less than ideal. Certainly most everyone that I saw riding bikecentennial only used a rear rack. Usually an overloaded pletcher rat trap. I don't think I saw lowriders without a front rack until much later. I'm sure some people hung panniers off of the front rack, but it doesn't seem like it would work out too well.

Last year I rode part of the Bikecentennial trail near Waynesboro/Afton. That must have been fun fully loaded. And when I say "fun," I mean not fun.
We skipped the side road to the cookie lady's house though.
I didn't skip the Cookie Lady (1991)

Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 12-24-20, 09:18 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
This maybe a silly question but arent these front racks purpose built to carry front panniers?
Yes, and some of us have done that.
Old 12-24-20, 09:21 PM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
I have a Blackburn styled Soma front rack that I use to mount a cheap CyclePro bag. I usually keep a few tools, Brooks seat cover, sweater, phone, keys, etc. in there. Fits nice and doesn't move around.

Old 12-24-20, 11:23 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Well, yeah. Your point being?
Old 12-25-20, 01:36 AM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
They are very versatile. I’ve done a number of tours loading my tent in one front pannier and sleeping bag in the other. This frees up the rear panniers for the heavy gear. When not touring a front top trunk bag, as others have pictured, works well for long day luggage. I like my lights low, forward and outside so my night bike has its light mount fixed at the left forward corner of the front rack.
Old 12-25-20, 08:43 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
This a very interesting thread for me as I've been wondering about how this applies to me. I have a nice Fuji TS III that is great for all around JRA. But I also anticipate that it would be a nice light tourer. So during the frame up rehab I created a front rack. I took a rear rack and bobbed the back end and re-shaped it so it would mount level. A bit longer than purpose designed front racks but cheap (as I don't really know if I'll even like this idea). It mounts to the rack/fender braze ons and has a single strut to the vestigial caliper mounting hole.

This is a relatively low trail bike (~ 31mm) and I've read that low trail rides well with a front load. I also understand that the lower the load is the better. A front rack vs low riders means I can use it with small panniers or a front bag of some sort or both. May be better than a handlebar bag on the bars. All theory as, due to you-know-what, I've not tested this with any load on a long trip. But that's my plan and it may work out. I'm very interested in the other opinions here.

Custom rack made from factory made rear rack

Old Trek front panniers. Simple bar bag modified to strap to top of rack.

Note: none of this has been used in the wild yet. So I'll not be surprised if I'm wrong. As I said, this rack has a single brace to the front of the fork, at the caliper mounting hole, unlike the Blackburn design. I anticipate that the single strut can flex a bit when needed so the whole fork is not braced out of the flex needed for road bumps. I also have a large front bag, like those randonneur bags. Gives me another option though I have to keep myself from loading too much stuff on this. Not what its intended for.
Old 12-25-20, 09:09 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 150 Posts
Am I doing this wrong?

I have the matched set of those Blackburn racks on my commuter.

I found that the bike was much more stable with my rear panniers on the front rack, so I put them there. Maybe 15 lbs on each side.

I get the occasional funny look, but I get those off the bike as well.

no pic, sorry.
Old 12-25-20, 11:58 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Don't use this photo as guidance, these chumps put the front rack on wrong.
Originally Posted by bark_eater
You can see where they put the front pannier's hook on the mounting strut to make the bag level. "No one will notice", going on 39 years..
I guess it depends on where your front eyelets are to level up the rack.

Of course, it could also be (and most likely) the photographers didn't know, mounted it like they could and hid the jerry-rigged attachment to the fork end behind the pannier...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-25-20, 12:22 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

I've got 2 different styles of Blackburn racks (the "wraparound" with a little tombstone and an extend-a-strut thing with a 'wall' at the back), as well as Vetta copies of the same styles. I pretty much entirely use them as a front bag support.

IMG_1703 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

720FrontRack by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

620FrontRack by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

TX700FrontRack by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

M1000FrontRack by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

As mentioned- Yes, you *can* mount panniers to them- but it gets squirrelly with the weight that high. I only used the front racks once to carry any significant weight and it threw my steering around. Probably because I put too much weight in and with the weight that high and out farther from the center of the bike, even little turns built up more momentum.

It's also worth noting, you can mount panniers to the rack AND mount a front bag to the rack at the same time, so it's not an 'either/or' proposition.

(thanks pee bucket for your watermark on my pictures)

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-25-20, 01:59 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I think I might try and bend a new handle par bracket that drops the Cannondale handlebar bag down to the rack height. I'd want to put something between the bag and rack to keep the bag from chafing.
Old 12-25-20, 04:21 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I wasn't born yet when these were originally released, but I imagine they carried more than their fare share of lightweight girlfriends... The type you don't want your wife to find out about!

In the coming months I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the rear-mounted wraparound front Jim Blackburn racks. The crown on my Centurion is drilled and tapped on the backside and way too elegant on the front for me to drill it through for a mount...
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 12-26-20, 07:51 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

I think I might try and bend a new handle par bracket that drops the Cannondale handlebar bag down to the rack height. I'd want to put something between the bag and rack to keep the bag from chafing.
I wouldn't- those bags aren't meant to be supported like that.

Find/make a front bag that'll work there. If you're into fashioning things, I have an old government issue telecom bag that I'm never going to get around to doing anything with- it's yours if you want it.

Old 12-26-20, 12:42 PM
Schwinneffect

Bikes: Invicta 3 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
How about a small laundry basket, some wire ties and bungie cords, a Blackburn rack, and a happy dog in the basket.
Old 12-26-20, 01:46 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
I wasn't born yet when these were originally released, but I imagine they carried more than their fare share of lightweight girlfriends... The type you don't want your wife to find out about!

In the coming months I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of the rear-mounted wraparound front Jim Blackburn racks. The crown on my Centurion is drilled and tapped on the backside and way too elegant on the front for me to drill it through for a mount...
These early Jim Blackburn wrap around racks (which are the topic of this thread, not front racks in general) are very elegant as well as being exceptionally rigid when mounted to a threaded fork crown on a fork mounted with cantilever brakes. They are on small size and as I have noted above, Rivendell's Sackville small trunk fits on these like a glove. Before buying the small trunk, I usually carried my tool roll on rack top...this rack is on my Rodriguez tandem and my tandem tool roll is a bit larger and heavier than what I carry on a single. Good luck finding one, will look great on your Centurion.
Old 12-27-20, 11:03 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Cheese

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-28-20, 01:10 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Another nagging question that keeps me up at night... and not to veer to far off course from the 2nd tier touring bike thread...

What are those cool vintage front racks actually used for? They certainly look cool and certainly make a bike look like a serious touring machine.

For context, I have a 1982 Miyata 610, the one with caliper brakes and "the good" tubing, so maybe a bit closer to a Sports Tourer. My intention is to out fit it as a "period correct" "playing dress up" light tourer. I have a Jim Blackburn style (CyclePro with diving board) front rack that I was going to put on it, but then got to thinking. What would I actually use it for? I have a Cannondale handlebar bag, the mounts directly to the handlebars, so I don't need the rack top for that, and while the matching Cannondale front panniers look like they'll fit the rack, it seems ride wise, that I would be better off with a set of low riders. I'm also inclined to leave off the rear rack and use a matching Cannondale saddle bag. I guess I'd need the rear rack to carry a sleeping bag, if I was doing an overnighter, but I have other bikes for such ventures. Here's the bike, the last time it came down off the ceiling:

And here's some of the vaguely relevant literature I've found.

"The Project" Looks like they tried the high mounted Pannier position and didn't like it.

Similar racks, with a front rack with low riders mounted. So what go's on top?

Similar bags, with panniers mounted high. My handlebar bag is a bit smaller. I haven't found any vintage bags made for the top of this style rack, at least for the US market.

Here's the 1982 Miyata catalog

and the 1982 Cannondale catalog for good measure.

So the question remains, Blackburn front racks, Functional or Fashionable.....
I prefer low riders but small panniers on the front rack work equally well with the rack you have. You could strap a towel or yesterday's damp clothing to dry but not much else. I've got a '83 610. They tried the side pull brakes for one year then went back to the center pulls for one year in '83 before deciding to go permanently with cantis.
Old 12-28-20, 01:56 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
The high Blackburn rack worked fine for me. These photos were taken in 1983. I eventually bought a low rider which was just becoming popular then. The older style high rack provided a platform for my tent. The higher weight did not significantly affect handling. I did not use a handlebar bag.

Old 12-28-20, 05:17 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Cheese

I kinda like Ugly Betty, but that is one cheesy photo. She needs a saddle though. Maybe that's what the JB is for, after your ride.
Old 12-28-20, 06:51 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Cheese

Unrelated, but is that front radial spoking on a vintage hub?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.