Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

1 x 9 for touring , 32T cog 11-42 cassette

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

1 x 9 for touring , 32T cog 11-42 cassette

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 03:31 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Well... as long as we're not exaggerating things...
Old 01-09-21, 06:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Wry smile.

On the rapid shifting thing, seems to me that this happens on a touring bike no matter the chain rings, we upshift as fast as a loaded 18 wheeler when we hit steep stuff.
Old 01-09-21, 08:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I find that bar end shifters can up or down shift quite fast for the rear. Never been a problem.
Old 01-09-21, 08:37 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by homelessjoe
I must just be use to 50 years of reaching down to my down tube shifters and pushing my friction shifter down into my granny gear.........
Heh! I'm kind of retro also. I've been using use 3x9 for so long I could do it with my eyes shut. I even find indexed clicks to be a distraction and still prefer friction levers for 9 speed. I did move my downtube shifters up to bar ends and then to Gevenalle brake levers. I'd likely fumble around also with 1x9.

I had a short career as a tractor trailer driver. I remember learning to shift a 13 speed Spicer transmission. Seemed confusing at first, one button to go from low to high range, another button to continue with half steps in the high range ... kinda like half step plus granny on my bike! Soon I was shifting without even thinking.
Old 01-09-21, 11:33 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Hey there Mr Ham.....
Sorry, I can't resist posting this clip from Airplane!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic ...
Old 01-09-21, 04:10 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
you know Bob, I clearly remember watching Airplane at the movie theatre when it came out way back when, but I don't think Ive ever seen it since, only clips now and again. Geez, 40 years ago....
so no, I had forgotten that goofy scene.

I always call the Irish guy Mr Ham because his forum name, jambon is the French word for "ham" (and he still hasn't gotten back to us! so keep on with the dumbass Airplane! quotes Shirley)
Old 01-09-21, 04:12 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet

You really did a very nice job with that. Looks great.
Likes For robow:
Old 01-09-21, 11:58 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
You really did a very nice job with that. Looks great.
Thanks. It provided a lot of entertainment as a project.

We all have opinions on what we think is best etc... but sometimes it's ok to just try something to see what happens. I like bicycles as a hobby because it doesn't break the bank to experiment.

To talk about changing drivetrains in Harleys is a whole other kettle of fish.
Old 01-10-21, 07:43 PM
ciquta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Im older now and not as strong as I use to be but I UPGRADED one of my old steel touring bikes to 1X9 trying to join the 21 century.......I would come down a hill all loaded up in high gear then when I started to climb the next hill and needed to get in low low gear .....I had to hit the shifter nine times in rapid succession.........often my bike would stop and I would fall off before I could shift that many times.......I must just be use to 50 years of reaching down to my down tube shifters and pushing my friction shifter down into my granny gear.........but I think it might be something to consider when choosing that setup for touring in hilly or mountainous terrain....... next youll have to shift nine times to get back into high gear........bring an extra cable and butt cream for your shift finger
any shifter nowadays (also entry level) lets you drop several gears at once, as far as 5 for regular shifters up to the full scale for the twist ones
Old 01-10-21, 08:39 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ciquta
any shifter nowadays (also entry level) lets you drop several gears at once, as far as 5 for regular shifters up to the full scale for the twist ones
yeah....things change fast.......I think when i did that build ultega shifted two and deore only shifted one and I just couldnt get use to it......even though I love wrenching on them and do my own work.......sometimes the outcome isnt to professional or well thought out.or I will try to modify something from my parts bin thats doomed from the start.....I think one day I shifted 2000 gears in the foothills

Last edited by homelessjoe; 01-10-21 at 08:50 PM. Reason: claify
Old 01-11-21, 07:34 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Im older now and not as strong as I use to be but I UPGRADED one of my old steel touring bikes to 1X9 trying to join the 21 century.......I would come down a hill all loaded up in high gear then when I started to climb the next hill and needed to get in low low gear .....I had to hit the shifter nine times in rapid succession.........often my bike would stop and I would fall off before I could shift that many times.......I must just be use to 50 years of reaching down to my down tube shifters and pushing my friction shifter down into my granny gear.........but I think it might be something to consider when choosing that setup for touring in hilly or mountainous terrain....... next youll have to shift nine times to get back into high gear........bring an extra cable and butt cream for your shift finger
Just use a friction shifter. they work the same as they ever did.
Old 01-28-21, 05:09 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
friction

yes Im old school and use friction down tube shifters on my touring bikes.....I was just relating my experience on a build with 1X9 with single shift brifters that did not work because I could not shift fast enough for hilly terrain and to much shifting ..........and one more thought on 1X9 for touring.......many times you are far far far away from any where and if you break your shift cable you will be stuck in high gear forever......I bet you would like a nice little triple on the front then.......breaking down and being stranded must be a top priority.....gear selection is a very personal matter..... skinny people need totally different gearing than heavy people.......strong every day riders need bigger rings......a weekend rider wouldnt make it to the county line on a bike set up for a real strong rider............if you live in the Alps with steep grades you need different gearing than if you live in Nebraska.........If you carry all your camping gear and supplies for a month I would say you almost need a different bike if you just have a toothbrush and a credit card

Last edited by homelessjoe; 01-28-21 at 05:22 PM. Reason: misspelled