Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First post! Inherited my dads bike! Got a que..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First post! Inherited my dads bike! Got a que..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 01:36 PM
Fabchef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thomas.... the pedals on the bike are old but fine for me. The grips are foam and new. The seat is okay for now.
as for size of frame... my inseam is about 30" from ground. The Raleigh is about 29" from ground to top center bar. The Infinity bike is about 30.5" the Raleigh is more comfortable in terms of height (no groin interference &#128513.
not sure how to gauge which size is better for my build.
I don't think i can raise the handlebars on the Raleigh as i think they are at the top end of steering post.

Livedark...i already sent my Dad a picture of rhe bike after the tuneup and cleaning. I think he is happy that it's being used.😊
Likes For Fabchef:
Old 08-04-21, 01:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabchef
Thomas.... the pedals on the bike are old but fine for me. The grips are foam and new. The seat is okay for now.
as for size of frame... my inseam is about 30" from ground. The Raleigh is about 29" from ground to top center bar. The Infinity bike is about 30.5" the Raleigh is more comfortable in terms of height (no groin interference &#128513.
not sure how to gauge which size is better for my build.
I don't think i can raise the handlebars on the Raleigh as i think they are at the top end of steering post.

Livedark...i already sent my Dad a picture of rhe bike after the tuneup and cleaning. I think he is happy that it's being used.😊

Do a selfie with it--the prize picture is YOU and the bike. That's mantle piece stuff for a dad.
Old 08-06-21, 07:30 PM
Fabchef

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Update....
hi gang, thought i'd do a little update. I've been riding the bike pretty much every day (more than driving my vespa! Haha), and love it!
the Raleigh is an 18 speed while the Infinity is 21. I just find the Raleigh to be a great "cruising " bike, and i find the gears to be perfect. I find that i'm never really straining myself on it and always in a comfortable gear. On the Infinity i find i'm always killing myself everywhere i'm going.
yesterday i was on the bike path near our house. This path has a lot of ascents on it, and seeing as it was a Scorcher of a day, i thought i'd die(i would on the Infinity), but on the Raleigh i just barely broke a sweat 😓. It's incredible, i love this bike.

question.... i picked up a cheap pair (from dollar store..$3...i know..&#128580 of bike gloves. They have very little padding on them but felt a smigin better than no gloves. Would thicker, padded gloves help out my hands? If so any makes/models you would recommend?
thanks
fab
Likes For Fabchef:
Old 08-07-21, 03:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Update....
hi gang, thought i'd do a little update. I've been riding the bike pretty much every day (more than driving my vespa! Haha), and love it!
the Raleigh is an 18 speed while the Infinity is 21. I just find the Raleigh to be a great "cruising " bike, and i find the gears to be perfect. I find that i'm never really straining myself on it and always in a comfortable gear. On the Infinity i find i'm always killing myself everywhere i'm going.
yesterday i was on the bike path near our house. This path has a lot of ascents on it, and seeing as it was a Scorcher of a day, i thought i'd die(i would on the Infinity), but on the Raleigh i just barely broke a sweat 😓. It's incredible, i love this bike.

question.... i picked up a cheap pair (from dollar store..$3...i know..&#128580 of bike gloves. They have very little padding on them but felt a smigin better than no gloves. Would thicker, padded gloves help out my hands? If so any makes/models you would recommend?
thanks
fab
There's really only one way to figure that out and that is to try it. I tried using gloves of varying thicknesses, and decided all they were doing for me was causing me callouses. I ride absurd distances, though, so that may have nothing to do with your use. What I did find was thicker gloves were better for dampening vibrations, but harder on the skin. Thin gloves were a little better, but I generally only wear gloves when it's cold.

Can you post a picture of the bike?
Old 08-07-21, 04:51 AM
Fabchef

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Here are some pics of the bikes..

Infinity bike

Raleigh city express.
Likes For Fabchef:
Old 08-08-21, 07:13 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Here are some pics of the bikes..

Infinity bike

Raleigh city express.
Is it the Raleigh that is giving you hand pain issues? I see in t he image that it looks as though the saddle is tilted downward. That will put a lot more pressure on t he hands than if the saddle is level or tilted up ever so slightly.

I think that between the thin gloves and the handlebar grips you should be okay for hand comfort providing that the seams in the gloves are not proud (sticking up) or if the gloves are the right size for your hands.

Try leveling the saddle and se if that helps.

Cheers
Old 08-08-21, 08:02 AM
Fabchef

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Miele, yes it's the Raleigh that is hurting my hands a bit. The seat is, at the most, level if not slightly pointing down. I can try to agle it up a bit and see how it goes.
as for the gloves, they don't have any pading on the palms. I will try to look for another pair.
fab
Old 08-08-21, 01:07 PM
Fabchef

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Miele, i picked up some better padded gloves, it helped a bit on my ride. I then remembered the seat-tilt suggestion. I'm not used to leaning that far back. I managed to get it at a good angle and went for a fast spin, made quite a difference actually! Felt easier on the hands. Thanks 😊