Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

School me on chains please...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-19, 12:49 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

I have a 1x11 XT drivetrain, and I'm looking for a good, cheap chain. There are just sooo many choices, and so much variation in price. I simply want something reliable that won't leave me in the wilderness. And cheap!
Old 01-24-19, 01:43 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Hmmm, a plethora of choices. And, unfortunately not a lot of hard data. Some companies publish "2x wear" or "3x wear", but without data, those numbers are pretty meaningless.

I'm not always convinced that cheaper is better, especially as worn chains can cause a lot of expensive damage to one's cassette and chainrings (depending on the value of those parts).

Shimano makes some basic chains that can generally be found for a good price. CN-HG701 (Ultegra) or CN-HG601 (105).

Wippermann makes some of the more expensive chains. According to their in house testing, the Wippemann Connex 11SX comes out at the top of their testing for longevity and wear.

KMC Chains?

One thing that is popping up is that several manufacturers are now listing E-Bike chains. And, it is not clear if those would give added strength and durability for typical riding applications.
Old 01-24-19, 06:38 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I have a 1x11 XT drivetrain, and I'm looking for a good, cheap chain. There are just sooo many choices, and so much variation in price. I simply want something reliable that won't leave me in the wilderness. And cheap!
Usually I go with a moderately-priced option from a reputable brand. Were it me, I'd buy a KMC 11.93 and call it a day. With SRAM, I'd probably go PC-1170. There are a lot of choices, and I find refuge in the mainstream options by the major brands.
Old 01-24-19, 06:52 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
My experience with chains. Remember this comes from 2 x 10 Campy drive trains. So, it might be apples and oranges for you.
Sram wears the fastest
KMC lasts long, is the least expensive, but is noisy.
Wippermann is quiet, about equal with KMC for wear, but is a lot more expensive than the others.
All shift well, with the Wippermann just slightly better.
Old 01-24-19, 06:59 AM
CliffordK

I don't think I've ever broken an 11 speed chain. On occasion, I'll break a 9 speed or less chain.

However, it never hurts to be prepared, such as carrying a chain tool, and perhaps a quick link or chain pin.
Old 01-24-19, 07:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I've never noticed anything functional about a chain that is more likely attributed to manufacturer than to status of upkeep and to degree of wear.
Old 01-24-19, 07:10 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
...cheap...And cheap!
Gearbasher's experience is close to mine and I would throw in Campagnolo chains as well and with your priority clearly being cheap, look for one of these brands with the biggest discount from one of the big web cycling vendors or ebay.
Old 01-24-19, 07:31 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
If there is a common problem of chains breaking and getting stranded, it has completely avoided me. I carry a spare link but never had to use it yet. Replacing a chain because of wear and tolerance is common but that is not a sudden thing. My choice with a balance of price, performance, and longetivity is the KMC SL series. The KMC X series is a great chain but in my situations the SL lasts as least twice as long and a better overall value to me but not cheap. This is gravel and MTB that are always dirty, gritty, and wet. I can't speak for a dry clean road bike.

Is the KMC X10.93 or X11.93 still around or is it just now called a "X10" or "X11"? I don't see them on the US KMC web site but they are on common sites for sale.

Last edited by u235; 01-24-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-24-19, 07:32 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I use the basic KMC X-11 or Shimano chain on my 1x11 setup. Either provides good shifting performance and reasonable life. I don't like the Shimano replacement pin system preferring the KMC link instead. 11 speed chains are pricey (to cheap me) so I generally look for sales or other discounts to decide on a choice.
Old 01-24-19, 07:35 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
My only negative experience was by the time I hit 10 spd. Shimano, I could no longer just pop on a cheap SRAM chain. A Shimano 105 level 10 spd. or better seemed to provide better rear shifting. Now I mostly just stay within a manufacturers line.

I also noticed that with 11spd, systems, companies that used to have re-usable links, such as KMC, now state the link should not be re-used. Likely just a way to make money as the general experiences seem to be re-using 11 spd, links causes no issues.
Old 01-24-19, 08:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Buy something. Don't spend a lot of money. The rest is just details that don't matter much. From cheap to expensive, they are all going to wear about the same.

Originally Posted by u235
If there is a common problem of chains breaking and getting stranded, it has completely avoided me. I carry a spare link but never had to use it yet. Replacing a chain because of wear and tolerance is common but that is not a sudden thing. My choice with a balance of price, performance, and longetivity is the KMC SL series. The KMC X series is a great chain but in my situations the SL lasts as least twice as long and a better overall value to me. This is gravel and MTB that are always dirty, gritty, and wet. I can't speak for a dry clean road bike.
With regards to breaking, I've had similar experience. The only chain that has broken in my family's fleet over 40 years of bicycling is an early SRAM (Sedis maybe?) that used the old style master link. The link is the part that broke.

On the other hand, I'm not going to say that one brand or kind of chain is longer lasting or performs better in any measurable way. A chain's lifespan falls into a fairly narrow range of 3000 to 4000 miles with 3500 being just about the average in both my experience and in reporting here and elsewhere. More expensive chains are just more expensive. They don't offer any added benefit.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-24-19, 09:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I've never noticed anything functional about a chain that is more likely attributed to manufacturer than to status of upkeep and to degree of wear.
^This.
Old 01-24-19, 09:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I use basic KMC with quick-links for my 10 speeds. No problems.
I assume their 11s are just as good

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-24-19, 02:46 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have used sram, Shimano, kmc, and wipperman. All are good, since you have Shimano Xt gruppo go with a Shimano.
Old 01-24-19, 02:57 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
I've got a Wipperman on one of my 10sp bikes and it's wearing like iron but is noisy as heck. Sram chains seem to be opposite.
Old 01-24-19, 03:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Buy something. Don't spend a lot of money. The rest is just details that don't matter much. From cheap to expensive, they are all going to wear about the same.
With regards to breaking, I've had similar experience. The only chain that has broken in my family's fleet over 40 years of bicycling is an early SRAM (Sedis maybe?) that used the old style master link. The link is the part that broke..
What about twisting?

I've replaced more chains due to twisted links following an incident of some kind than due to breaks.
Old 01-24-19, 03:53 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What about twisting?

I've replaced more chains due to twisted links following an incident of some kind than due to breaks.
Odd...
I break a chain every year or so. But, I don't think I've ever had a "twisted link".

It is sometimes a bad shift that will break a chain, but I can usually stop pedaling before I tear off the whole rear-end of my bike.
Old 01-24-19, 04:54 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Odd...
I break a chain every year or so. But, I don't think I've ever had a "twisted link".

It is sometimes a bad shift that will break a chain, but I can usually stop pedaling before I tear off the whole rear-end of my bike.
Usually? Lol. I've wrapped a derailleur into the spokes once but that was it... Uneventful and lucky as I was moving maybe 3 mph in the grass when it happened.
Old 01-24-19, 05:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
What about twisting?

Nope. Not once. Even with chain suck.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-24-19, 05:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I've broken chains from my raw power.
I've broken chains from twisted links from a bad shift.
But most of them I broke were from bad pin insertions on my part.

So my advice is get one with a good method to shorten and attach.
Old 01-24-19, 05:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Once chains got past 3/32, and went thinner lots of compromises were chosen,,
Old 01-25-19, 01:22 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Odd...

Wow...That's unusual.
Pin reconnect problems ?
I only use "quick links" since the 7 speed days. Even then I had no problems.

Old 01-25-19, 01:25 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I've broken chains from my raw power.
I've broken chains from twisted links from a bad shift.
But most of them I broke were from bad pin insertions on my part.

So my advice is get one with a good method to shorten and attach.
yeah, me too wink wink

Old 01-26-19, 01:37 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks all for the advice!
Old 01-29-19, 07:24 AM
slowrevs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Chains and Cheap Chains

Assuming you know the width of your chain, look at KMC products. There are tons to choose from, depending on whether you want to go the BRAG, SHOW, or RIDE and save route. KMC usually has a nice downloadable pdf brochure showing all of their chain lines by riding type and expense.

High performance chains are for those who need them, not everyday commuters or occasional riders.

Expensive chains are for those who want to brag about their spending, or show off their bikes' fancy matching colors, e.g., red bike and a red chain; or black bike with black spokes and wheels and a black chain.

With proper lubrication and cleaning (every 500 miles or so), expect to get 2,000 miles from a chain before stretching and distortion starts wearing on sprockets and chain wheels. When that happens, chains become less reliable, subject to breaking and slipping if roller slots get elongated or sprocket teeth eroded.

Bought online in quantities of two or more, expect to pay about $8 - $10 for a perfectly good chain - but shop around because a lot of bike shops see chains as high profit items because you have to have them to ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.