Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you replace your rear tire because it starts to square off?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you replace your rear tire because it starts to square off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 06:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by altondavis2
----------------
Of course he's not going to die, but suffering an incovenience of walking a couple of miles or being late
for a planned activity after riding comuld happen due to worn tires. My time is valuable.
That tire isn't significantly more prone to flat than when it was a new tire. In 1000 more miles, it still will probably not be significantly more prone to flat than when it was new. Beyond that, flats are a part of the game - if you have someplace to be, you leave yourself time, whether your tires are new or not. Hell, I run tubeless and still leave myself some padding.
Old 03-08-21, 08:18 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 227 Posts
I wear my tires until the cords appear. Once they do I then replace it with a brand new tire. I've had rear tires that have had too many rips, cuts, and tears in them that I replaced earlier.
Old 03-08-21, 09:09 PM
altondavis2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
NEW tires are FUN.
Likes For altondavis2:
Old 03-12-21, 02:28 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I toss them when they get a hole thats unreliable to patch. I'll pay $40 for a new tire rather than risking not getting home on time from my lunch ride.

Some metrics on the tire itself - https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...orn-gp4000s-ii ; https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...endurance-test