Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon seatpost in aluminium frame?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 01:47 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am thinking about replacing my current 400mm alloy seatpost (who the hell would need it that long?!) to make my bike a bit lighter. Current stick is about 310 grams. I was checking for the options and found some alumunium seatposts around 220g with a reasonable price. If i can save 90 grams that would be good. However i wonder if a carbon seatpost would be a wiser choice considering it might help for a more comfortable ride. Though, i am not sure it is a good idea to clamp this gentle material within an aluminium frame. I think it will be broken or be crushed under the pressure. What would you recommend?
Old 07-02-13, 02:36 AM
Jandro 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thomson Elite, ~$100 (or Masterpiece, ~$140).

Alloy and lighter than most carbon seat posts. They look awesome, too.

/thread

edit: also, ffs people, carbon is not a 'gentle material'...
Old 07-02-13, 03:22 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Liked 401 Times in 263 Posts
I have the S-works SL Pavé seatpost. Weight is about 200 grams, has a zertz insert and the cool one bolt fastening system.
First: My first S-works, Wohoo!
second: It's light. Okay the thomson elite masterpiece is even lighter, but also, looks
third: I can understand how someone might not like the one bolt system (I didn't) but now that I'm used to it, it makes adjusting so much easier and faster.
fourth: Not sure if the zetrz insert does anything, but it's a cool little gizmo. I suppose it helps with a little bit of vibration

You have to be skilled to break carbon, but overtightening will do it. I use pretty minimal force and toothpaste to keep the seatpost in place.
Would not go back to alloy
Old 07-02-13, 03:34 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Trek Marlin 6, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 820 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
I am thinking about replacing my current 400mm alloy seatpost (who the hell would need it that long?!) to make my bike a bit lighter.
Hacksaw?
Old 07-02-13, 03:37 AM
hillcrawler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightest alu post i found is this Ritchey. I will invest my money on this:

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/...29872#features
Old 07-02-13, 04:11 AM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio

You have to be skilled to break carbon, but overtightening will do it. I use pretty minimal force and toothpaste to keep the seatpost in place.
Would not go back to alloy
While I have never heard of this and have never seen this done I CANNOT recommend this as a mechanic. I have seen carbon seatposts seize inside of aluminum frames before and toothpaste strikes me as being a perfect glue since it's primary solvent/ carrier is water and it normally contains many other types of minerals and electrolytes that will just act as bonding agents once the carrier fluid dries out.

It may seem like a sham but really your best bet is carbon friction paste, reduces the amount of clamping force needed aswell.
Old 07-02-13, 04:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Hacksaw?
yes

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-02-13, 05:21 AM
elcruxio

Originally Posted by dnuzzomueller
While I have never heard of this and have never seen this done I CANNOT recommend this as a mechanic. I have seen carbon seatposts seize inside of aluminum frames before and toothpaste strikes me as being a perfect glue since it's primary solvent/ carrier is water and it normally contains many other types of minerals and electrolytes that will just act as bonding agents once the carrier fluid dries out.

It may seem like a sham but really your best bet is carbon friction paste, reduces the amount of clamping force needed aswell.
Carbon friction paste didn't work. Or it might have, but that would have meant using a lot more torque than I was ready to apply.
So far the toothpaste has worked really well for the past two years. No seizing, adjustment is always easy, no hassle. At some point I'm thinking of turning the frame upside down, washing the old stuff away with a bottle brush and applying new paste. Then again so far the old stuff has kept elastic and easy to handle so maybe not.

Trick is to use the cheap foamy white stuff, NOT the gel. I can really understand how a gel might jam the post, but the white stuff works wondrously well.
Old 07-02-13, 05:31 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Liked 579 Times in 393 Posts
My original carbon seat post was pitted and had white aluminum corrosion dust after a few years. I just cleaned it off an kept using it (until the saddle clamp quit working) It would be good to pull a carbon post on an aluminum bike once a year for inspection.

The consensus on BF is that carbon posts don't make enough difference on soaking up vibrations to notice.
Old 07-02-13, 05:33 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
yes
Actually , without the proper fixtures to get a clean cut, I have found that the cutting wheel on a Dremel tool does a much better job.
Old 07-02-13, 05:35 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
When aluminum/carbon interfaces on bikes were "new", there was some thought about electrolytic reactions causing sacrificial failure of the aluminum especially in the presence of electrolyte rich perspiration. What ever happened to that concern? It doesn't seem to be considered much at present.
Old 07-02-13, 05:38 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've successfully used tubing cutters to remove excess material from an overly long seat post. You can too. Or you could waste your money on a replacement.
Old 07-02-13, 05:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 894 Times in 458 Posts
Lightest alu post i found is this Ritchey. I will spend my money on this:

https://www.evanscycles.com/products/...29872#features
FTFY.

Definitely not an investment. It's an expenditure, and a rather questionable one at that.

Once you cut your current seatpost to length, you might be saving 25 grams.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-02-13, 05:45 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am thinking about replacing my current 400mm alloy seatpost (who the hell would need it that long?!) to make my bike a bit lighter. Current stick is about 310 grams. I was checking for the options and found some alumunium seatposts around 220g with a reasonable price. If i can save 90 grams that would be good. However i wonder if a carbon seatpost would be a wiser choice considering it might help for a more comfortable ride. Though, i am not sure it is a good idea to clamp this gentle material within an aluminium frame. I think it will be broken or be crushed under the pressure. What would you recommend?
Clamping a carbon post with al/ti/carbon seat tube is all the same, similar pressure.

Turn the seatclamp so that the stress relief in the frame (some have it front, some rear, some side), doesn't line up with the same seam where the tightning bolt is. Some small change to create a stress riser.

It's hard to beat the Ritchey WCS parts. One bolt is nice and easy also. Get a torque wrench if you go carbon. The 0 set back ones are super stiff, none stiffer out there, al or carbon.
Old 07-02-13, 05:53 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do whatever you want, but there is no harm in using a carbon post in an aluminum frame.
Old 07-02-13, 06:07 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 1,013 Times in 648 Posts
As long as it doesn't sieze up like mine

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-02-13, 01:40 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Carbon friction paste didn't work. Or it might have, but that would have meant using a lot more torque than I was ready to apply.
So far the toothpaste has worked really well for the past two years. No seizing, adjustment is always easy, no hassle. At some point I'm thinking of turning the frame upside down, washing the old stuff away with a bottle brush and applying new paste. Then again so far the old stuff has kept elastic and easy to handle so maybe not.

Trick is to use the cheap foamy white stuff, NOT the gel. I can really understand how a gel might jam the post, but the white stuff works wondrously well.
Well I CANNOT argue with results. If you haven't had any seizing then maybe I have found a cheaper carbon friction paste to use myself. Brand?
Old 07-02-13, 01:43 PM
elcruxio

In finland it's sold as pepsodent xylitol. Green tube

Last edited by elcruxio; 07-02-13 at 01:50 PM.