Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you do when traffic lights are out?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 05:54 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was riding today, and about 2 miles from home, I stopped at a stoplight. I smelled something weird, so I looked around. I noticed smoke coming off of the nearby telephone pole. Once the light turned green, I got going and I hit the middle button on my iPhone headphones to tell voice control to call 311. 311 is the number to call the city. 311 connected me to 911 after I told them what I observed, and 911 connected me to Denver Fire. Denver Fire sent out a firetruck and that as that. As I came back the same route to get home (I would've taken a different route, but I wanted to check on it), I noticed it was still smoking (but not as much). It was strange to me that the traffic light there was still working. I continued on my way and came to the next traffic light. There was a TON of traffic backed up there. I treated it like a stop sign and continued on my way (turning left, so I had to wait a little longer to allow vehicles to go straight). The next light (residential area) was also out, but it wasn't as bad. I then came to the last light on my route and it too was out! I was dreading this because it is a pretty busy street and I was afraid cars wouldn't let me go. This was not the case; motorists were more lenient with me, allowing me to turn without waiting forever. When this light is functional, I normally have to wait there for 5-10 minutes before it changed. So I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-04-12, 05:58 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you treat it like a stop sign.

It's amazing how many people don't know what to do when the lights are out at an intersection.

It's even more surprising the ones you encountered did know. :shock:
Old 06-04-12, 06:00 PM
JTGraphics

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same as you did or sometimes I'll hook up with a car (stay close) thats going my way this way I use it for cover.
You treat it like a stop sign.
Old 06-04-12, 06:10 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I treat out-of-order lights just like regular ones that are working: "No cars? No cops? Fair game, run it !!!"
Old 06-04-12, 06:10 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
exercise caution
Old 06-04-12, 06:11 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
I treat out-of-order lights just like regular ones that are working: "No cars? No cops? Fair game, run it !!!"
Terrible idea.
Old 06-04-12, 06:27 PM
Ndw76

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in Thailand if it is a T intersection and you are not turning right, across traffic (we drive on the left hand side of the road over here) but going straight through you can usually just go straight through. This seems to apply especially when the lights are out. Just have to be extra vigilant of cars, busses, motorcycles, old ladies, dogs...
Old 06-04-12, 06:29 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how universal this is, but out here in CA, disabled traffic lights or ones that are flashing red continuously in all directions are supposed to be treated as regular 4-Way stop signs. This seems to be pretty widely understood and followed, at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 06-04-12, 08:41 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
you treat it like a stop sign.

It's amazing how many people don't know what to do when the lights are out at an intersection.

It's even more surprising the ones you encountered did know. :shock:
I don't know where you live, but "when a traffic signal fails, treat it like a four-way stop" has been in California's driver handbook and exams since at least the mid-60s. Anyone who doesn't know that law should not be allowed to drive or ride on city streets.

One of the things I have learned after reading all of the cycling forums across the net, is that we do indeed need to require an operators permit to allowed to cyclists to ride on public streets. We just have way too many cyclists who are just too effin stupid to even ride a bike on public roads.......

Last edited by Stealthammer; 06-04-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 08:45 PM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Same here.