Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campolongo Hub Wheel Set

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campolongo Hub Wheel Set

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 04:48 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by FargoRider
Do you think these would work with 23mm tires? I ride Vittoria Pro Slicks 23s, and really like them. I find them fast, pretty comfy, and zero flats in the four years using them.

Don't really want to go over $300. Closer to 200 the better, but I'll do what I have to to stay riding. ;-)
certainly -- when you get around to new tires, try some 25s ... more comfy
Old 05-18-17, 06:06 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Campagnolo/Fulcrum makes great wheels. Last month I bought a set of 10-year old Zondas. Due to the neglect of the original owner, the hub shells and freehubs were filled with watery goo, and the bearings and bearing cones were a pitted, rusted mess. I was able to order new cones for less than $20 each, and they slid in easily. The balls of course cost pennies to replace. Good as new.

I am not convinced that your mechanic explored all of the maintenance options available.

Nevertheless, an even better solution for a Campagnolo replacement wheelset would be some 32-spoke (genuine) Campagnolo hubs (the good ones with loose balls, not the low-end crappy ones with cartridge bearings), spoked with some Open Pros. This way, not only can the hubs can provide indefinite service, but the rims can be swapped out whenever the brake tracks wear out, or you hit a big pothole. Using the same spokes over of course.
Old 05-18-17, 06:45 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Why does the word "commute" and "wheels" bring out all the Sheldons? May the man rest in peace, but geez, there are tons of people putting 7,8,10k miles every year on wheels with fewer than 30 spokes. Get over it, please.
Old 05-18-17, 09:04 PM
Barabaika

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
Why does the word "commute" and "wheels" bring out all the Sheldons? May the man rest in peace, but geez, there are tons of people putting 7,8,10k miles every year on wheels with fewer than 30 spokes. Get over it, please.
How can you explain this?
Why don't his 16/20-spoke wheels stay true?
Does he need heavier and sturdier rims?
I just had it into a local bike shop to help diagnose/fix a very annoying "clicking" that kept getting worse, and the owner/mechanic did fix it. He had to tweak the spokes again, and said I'll need to replace the wheel soon and should look into getting a new wheel set with either a Campy hub or Campy compatible. He said the rear rim is pretty beat up, and truing the spokes will only keep it aligned for so long before it gets wonky again.

Last edited by Barabaika; 05-18-17 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-18-17, 09:07 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

because Alex OEM wheels.
Old 02-09-18, 12:31 PM
FargoRider

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2009 Fuji CCR-3, 2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 (fatty), 1992 Bianchi Project-3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the replies and great advice on my wheelset hunt. I usually start riding my Eros commuter starting in March, so I'm going to get serious with this now.

After shopping around a bit, expanded my budget to be in the 350-500 range. I received a $480 quote from a LBS for a custom hand build using 32H DT Swiss 460s with DT butted competition spokes and Orgin8 Formula hubs.

I think this should do me well.

I also found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-Plus-Son-...EAAOSwiqFafTKa

I kind of like keeping the hubs Campy, and I've read good things about those rims too. Does that $50 shipping seem high, or is that the going rate for packaging wheelsets? I was thinking offering $375 and see how that goes.

Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by FargoRider; 02-09-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 01:20 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the replies and great advice on my wheelset hunt. I usually start riding my Eros commuter starting in March, so I'm going to get serious with this now.

After shopping around a bit, expanded my budget to be in the 350-500 range. I received a $480 quote from a LBS for a custom hand build using 32H DT Swiss 460s with DT butted competition spokes and Orgin8 Formula hubs.

I think this should do me well.

I also found this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-Plus-Son-...EAAOSwiqFafTKa

I kind of like keeping the hubs Campy, and I've read good things about those rims too. Does that $50 shipping seem high, or is that the going rate for packaging wheelsets? I was thinking offering $375 and see how that goes.

Any thoughts or advice?
It's a fair price and H + Son makes good lucking and sturdy rims.

Might email the folks over at Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike and see if they'll give you a quote for something with Miche hubs (campy compatible). I've bought several wheelsets from them, including some miche hubs, and they've always been reasonably quick, price can't be beat, and the build quality is always good.
Old 02-09-18, 02:27 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
fewer than 32 spokes?! the horror!
Heh. I also used to be in the 32 spoke or more for commuting camp. But a set of Campy Zonda wheels (~$360 from wiggle.com) set me straight on the reliability worry so far. They've been pretty solid for me and I'm a big boy (230 lbs) and not some small hill climber that's 120 lbs wet.
Old 02-09-18, 02:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,513 Times in 3,355 Posts
Not sure about needing a new hub or not. This one is about 12 years old, but maybe that's not really a problem?
You mean being too new?

There are plenty of 40 or 50 year old Campy hubs out there, and still on the road. The big thing is what is inside. How are the cones & races? Anything wrong with the hubs?

The other issue is that at some point Campagnolo changed their freehub design. I don't know how that affects supporting your bike, but it may be something to consider. Or, if you're using old style freewheels, find a hub that could be upgraded.

Anyway, if you have a good bike shop, they should be able to build a new wheel almost as easily as maintaining an old one. Talk to they about what they'd require from you. Stripping the old wheel (after removing the cassette?)
Old 02-09-18, 03:00 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Campagnolo hubs should mostly be considered disposable if they are cup/cone. The problem is while you can replace the loose ball bearings and the cone (outer race) the inner race becomes pitted and galled. This race damage translates to trashing new balls then through the ball wear to the cone right back to where you started.
Campagnolo sells replacement cups too.

The only bearing replacement issue would be with 1998 and older hubs using steel 10mm axles (12mm for the freehub), where the drive side cones have become unavailable; although the OP's bike is 2004.

Parts are fully available for over-size alloy axle cup-and-cone hubs, and after that transition the less expensive models used cartridge bearings.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-09-18 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 03:03 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You mean being too new?

There are plenty of 40 or 50 year old Campy hubs out there, and still on the road. The big thing is what is inside. How are the cones & races? Anything wrong with the hubs?

The other issue is that at some point Campagnolo changed their freehub design. I don't know how that affects supporting your bike, but it may be something to consider. Or, if you're using old style freewheels, find a hub that could be upgraded.
They made the splines deeper with the move to 9 cogs in 1997, allowing them to run lighter alloy freehubs without indenting problems like alloy C-Record 8 speed freehubs and aftermarket Shimano. The OP's 2004 parts post-date that by years.
Old 02-09-18, 03:05 PM
FargoRider

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2009 Fuji CCR-3, 2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 (fatty), 1992 Bianchi Project-3

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You mean being too new?

Anyway, if you have a good bike shop, they should be able to build a new wheel almost as easily as maintaining an old one. Talk to they about what they'd require from you. Stripping the old wheel (after removing the cassette?)
I'm changing the hubs so I can get a higher spoke count. I'm leaning to towards a 32 holes. The ones I currently have is more of a race wheelset, and that's not how I'm using this bike. It still feels pretty racey, but I have a rack on it and it's my everyday rider.

Last edited by FargoRider; 02-09-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 03:08 PM
FargoRider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
It's a fair price and H + Son makes good lucking and sturdy rims.

Might email the folks over at Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike and see if they'll give you a quote for something with Miche hubs (campy compatible). I've bought several wheelsets from them, including some miche hubs, and they've always been reasonably quick, price can't be beat, and the build quality is always good.
I have looked at Velomine, and haven't ruled them out. The factory builds they have are at a very nice price, but the hand builds are around the same price as what the LBS have. If I go hand built, I think I'll just stay local.
Old 02-09-18, 03:10 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Buy the parts and build your own wheels. It's not that hard if you're patient.
Old 02-09-18, 03:14 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The Campagnolo Vento G3 wheels on my '06 Bianchi are still going strong. New ones (same name, newer model) are available from Wiggle for $215 with free shipping to the U.S.

wiggle.com | Campagnolo Vento Asymmetric G3 Wheelset | Road Race Wheels

...just mentioning it since it might a cost-effective option if a 24-spoke rear will work for you.

Last edited by SkyDog75; 02-09-18 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 03:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,513 Times in 3,355 Posts
Another option is to keep one's eyes open on Craigslist and E-Bay. Used wheels show up all the time, although Campy freehubs are a bit more rare. But, if the OP thinks he can baby his current wheels for the next 6 months, that might be enough time for a good wheelset to pop up.

Of course, the 32 or 36h may be a bit more rare.

Or, as mentioned, just get the parts and build it up.
Old 02-09-18, 03:30 PM
FargoRider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Another option is to keep one's eyes open on Craigslist and E-Bay. Used wheels show up all the time, although Campy freehubs are a bit more rare. But, if the OP thinks he can baby his current wheels for the next 6 months, that might be enough time for a good wheelset to pop up.

Of course, the 32 or 36h may be a bit more rare.

Or, as mentioned, just get the parts and build it up.
I've been looking for used stuff too. What are your thoughts on this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/H-Plus-Son-...EAAOSwiqFafTKa
Old 02-09-18, 03:55 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

in your budget, I'd go new. Especially if you're concerned about longevity/reliability. Used == unknown treatment.
Old 02-09-18, 09:27 PM
FargoRider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got my offer accepted at $400; feeling good about it too. Thanks for the feeback you guys.

H Plus Son Archetype Black Wheelset Campagnolo Record hubs 32h 7,8,9,10, 11sp

Hand built from a professional wheel builder at a local bike shop. The wheels have about 300 miles and are in mint condition. Dt Swiss competition double butted spokes and black brass nipples. This a great wheelset for a strong rider with flex free 32 spokes frot and rear.

Old 02-10-18, 01:49 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
A lot of companies have interchangeable freehub bodies, but often require ordering a separate campagnolo freehub body which raises the total cost. Some brands sell direct and will swap to a Campagnolo body. Kingston's recommendations both look pretty good honestly. Depending on what distributors your shop works with they might be able to build you up a reliable set of wheels at a reasonable price. For example, JBI has Origin8 RD1100 hubs with Campagnolo freehub bodies, retail is around $85. Matching front hub is $60. DT R460s at $50 each. Assuming $1 spokes and $60 labor per wheel, you'd be looking a hair under $400. If your shop does quality wheel work this would be a reliable option with local support.

Edit: shoot, missed your post. That's a very well specced wheelset, sweet.