Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

In San Francisco

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

In San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-23, 10:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
One of the "worlds" I lived in was San Francisco, and I think your probability calculations are absurd. Like I said, I stopped watching out of sheer boredom at the 3:30 mark, but at that point, they were rapidly close-passing several front doors of people's homes. I also think the cost/benefit calculation of imposing this risk on other people just so you can have a clickbait background for a bike commercial is rather lopsided on the "oh hell no" side.

I don't think anyone on this forum would be rationalizing this if it were any other kind of vehicle operating this fast on a sidewalk.

If the odds are that low, btw, would you be in favor of people driving their cars down the sidewalk? Long as they don't hit anything, no harm no foul, right?
Sorry, I just don't argue in the subjunctive mood.

In any case, it's absolutely clear that we live in.different worlds.

In any case, this is a FORUM, so people post their opinions, and obviously we won't all agree.

In any case, it should be obvious that I truly don't care much about this stuff, so if it's important to you to "win", it's yours.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-13-23, 05:03 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Here in Philly, we have a lot of folks who will go into alleys and backyards to test fire handguns; they shoot down the alley and sometimes shoot across yards. If no one gets hurt does that fall under "no harm, no foul"?

Back maybe 12 years ago, there was a prominent case here where a cyclist killed a pedestrian due to negligent riding, then rode off committing a hit and run. The city clamped down on enforcing laws, but only against cyclists, not the thousands of automobiles which regularly threaten, injure, and kill pedestrians and cyclists every year. There was a chilling effect that the hit and run incident had on bicycling and advocacy; riders were actually getting tickets, people rode less, folks who previously wanted into the activity for whatever probably took the bus or drove a car. Regardless, there was less riding and due to a us-vs-them mentality.

The reason is because of stupid S*** like we see in the OP video.

Only last month we just got back to a place in bicycle advocacy where a car parked in a bike lane can get ticketed. That was in effect back in 2011 and then the attitude in the city changed because of one rider, who punished us all for his stupidity and blatant disregard for the safety of others.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-13-23, 10:13 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I don't care if they break their own necks, frankly. I do, however, resent very much using pedestrians as meat pylons. According to you, that makes me a pearl clutcher.
And motorists use all of us as meat pylons as a rule yet I see ppl cycling all the time without a care in the world as if the cars were made of cotton candy.

As one pearl clutcher to another!
Old 05-14-23, 11:57 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
It would be helpful if those here who agree the OP video displays inappropriate behaviour simply used u-tubes reporting function. As I have twice already.
My e-mail to Propain bikes in Vancouver, Wash. was met with a pat on the head "it'll be fine" response.
Next step is an angry e-mail to parent co. in France.
Thinking of reaching our to S.F. by-law dept. ..... ?
Old 05-14-23, 01:04 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
It would be helpful if those here who agree the OP video displays inappropriate behaviour simply used u-tubes reporting function. As I have twice already.
My e-mail to Propain bikes in Vancouver, Wash. was met with a pat on
Next step is an angry e-mail to parent co. in France.
Thinking of reaching our to S.F. by-law dept. ..... ?
Assuming you live in San Francisco, and given it's current problems, I wonder if there aren't much more important things to focus on.

But, that's just me.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-14-23, 11:47 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

I don't.

And yeah, that's just you.
Old 05-17-23, 08:35 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
My e-mail to Propain bikes in Vancouver, Wash. was met with a pat on the head "it'll be fine" response.
I'm curious what you said in your email.
Old 05-18-23, 06:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
My guess - it was phrased like the typical anti-motorist rant posted on A&S - and received the same typical response such rhetoric arouses among the non-true believers.
Old 05-18-23, 08:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
My guess - it was phrased like the typical anti-motorist rant posted on A&S - and received the same typical response such rhetoric arouses among the non-true believers.

So let's see, are you saying that writing to a bicycle company to tell them that you don't think they should sponsor videos showing bicyclists flying by directly in front of people's front doors is a "typical anti-motorist rant"? What the hell are YOU ranting about?
Old 05-18-23, 09:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
So let's see, are you saying that writing to a bicycle company to tell them that you don't think they should sponsor videos showing bicyclists flying by directly in front of people's front doors is a "typical anti-motorist rant"? What the hell are YOU ranting about?
You must have been cc'd on the gratuitous email complaint to the bicycle company to be so sure that it was phrased politely and respectfully suggested a resolution to a perceived problem, and was not an irate or irrational rant about somebody's riding/driving as seen so often on this list.
Old 05-18-23, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You must have been cc'd on the gratuitous email complaint to the bicycle company to be so sure that it was phrased politely and respectfully suggested a resolution to a perceived problem, and was not an irate or irrational rant about somebody's riding/driving as seen so often on this list.
You phrased this such that you made it look like you were accusing this of being a "typical anti-motorist rant" which made literally no sense when you are implicitly accusing OP of going on some sort of anti-cyclist(?) anti-stunt(?) anti-sidewalk riders(?) rant. Obviously, you need so badly to get your usual cookie-cutter rant about "true believers" that you couldn't help inserting it into something literally having nothing to do with that.

I'm not the one posting my "guess" at the tone and content of OP's email and stating it was "gratuitous", you are. I think it's pretty hilarious that you're now accusing me sarcastically of being "cc'd" on it. Projecting your own faults much?

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that his email was not "respectful" and didn't just ask them to pull their sponsorship from the video?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-19-23, 01:34 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
my family and i ride hundreds of miles a month in san francisco, and i can confidently state that the number of cyclists riding on sidewalks is incredibly low compared to the number of motorists behaving in any number of dangerous ways. running red lights and stop signs, blocking bike lanes or traffic lanes to load/unload, passing unsafely, pulling in or out of driveways without looking, etc. i'd estimate i see some of the latter perhaps once every few blocks, vs the former.... maybe once every few days?!

the danny m video was obviously filmed with permission/permits and in controlled circumstances, as others have noted.

also as noted, the law allows children to ride on sidewalks. my older daughter (now 11) does so from time to time when we're riding up a hill that has significant car traffic and no bike lane. she's been yelled at a dozen or so times by selfish, entitled, and just frankly mean people, almost always elderly, usually with dogs. "get off the sidewalk," "that's illegal," "you almost hit me!" "my dog!" etc. about one in three times it upsets her enough that i stop and tell the kindly neighbor that she's entirely within her rights and not putting anyone at risk riding up a hill at 4mph on a sidewalk with room for comfortable passage in both directions.

262 people have been killed by motor vehicles within the city limits (exclusive of freeways) since 2014 - the vast majority pedestrians. in that same time, zero people have been killed by cyclists, e-scooters, etc. so while i don't condone riding on sidewalks and it is illegal for adults, to say it's somehow a significant problem is without factual basis.
Old 05-20-23, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mschwett
my family and i ride hundreds of miles a month in san francisco, and i can confidently state that the number of cyclists riding on sidewalks is incredibly low compared to the number of motorists behaving in any number of dangerous ways. running red lights and stop signs, blocking bike lanes or traffic lanes to load/unload, passing unsafely, pulling in or out of driveways without looking, etc. i'd estimate i see some of the latter perhaps once every few blocks, vs the former.... maybe once every few days?!

the danny m video was obviously filmed with permission/permits and in controlled circumstances, as others have noted.

also as noted, the law allows children to ride on sidewalks. my older daughter (now 11) does so from time to time when we're riding up a hill that has significant car traffic and no bike lane. she's been yelled at a dozen or so times by selfish, entitled, and just frankly mean people, almost always elderly, usually with dogs. "get off the sidewalk," "that's illegal," "you almost hit me!" "my dog!" etc. about one in three times it upsets her enough that i stop and tell the kindly neighbor that she's entirely within her rights and not putting anyone at risk riding up a hill at 4mph on a sidewalk with room for comfortable passage in both directions.

262 people have been killed by motor vehicles within the city limits (exclusive of freeways) since 2014 - the vast majority pedestrians. in that same time, zero people have been killed by cyclists, e-scooters, etc. so while i don't condone riding on sidewalks and it is illegal for adults, to say it's somehow a significant problem is without factual basis.

I think the issue here is the posting of a video that promotes this use of these sidewalks in particular, and the idea of poaching on city sidewalks in general.

It's been decades since I've last ridden in SF, but I'm pretty sure I never saw an adult riding on a sidewalk there. It just wouldn't be a sane thing to do if you actually want to get anywhere. The problem with a video like this is it invites imitation, and if you have been following what happens with stunt and prank videos, there's a strong tendency for the IRL stakes to escalate as competing "contributors" get more and more extreme to attract clicks.

Maybe your daughter needs an "I'm 11" sign on her bike (joking). That level of Karening is really annoying when it's aimed at your kid. Been there a couple decades ago. Good on her for taking those hills!

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-20-23 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-20-23, 09:29 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
I think the issue here is the posting of a video that promotes this use of these sidewalks in particular, and the idea of poaching on city sidewalks in general.

It's been decades since I've last ridden in SF, but I'm pretty sure I never saw an adult riding on a sidewalk there. It just wouldn't be a sane thing to do if you actually want to get anywhere. The problem with a video like this is it invites imitation, and if you have been following what happens with stunt and prank videos, there's a strong tendency for the IRL stakes to escalate as competing "contributors" get more and more extreme to attract clicks.

Maybe your daughter needs an "I'm 11" sign on her bike (joking). That level of Karening is really annoying when it's aimed at your kid. Been there a couple decades ago. Good on her for taking those hills!
true, true. the vast majority of where they are riding are not sidewalks though. most are streets or mixed use paths. some are public stairways (the steps around russian hill and telegraph hill they bomb down) and that's DEFINITELY not kosher. the paths (and stairs) into the new park at francisco reservoir are off limits to bikes also - but they shouldn't be and they are not sidewalks. still some bad behavior, but 90% of those segments are completely legal/acceptable places to ride a bike. i ride many/most of them weekly. the thread title and video are a little misaligned.

i'm actually kind of curious now about the public stairs - while i can't imagine it's legal to ride a bike on them, many apartments/flats/condos/townhouses only open onto those stairs. i guess you just carry your bike up or down. https://www.sfstairways.com/stairways/
Old 05-21-23, 01:33 PM
tungsten

Originally Posted by retswerb
Not much, it was late. Will compose more thorough e-mail to parent Co.

Re: "poaching"
Foolish and dangerous behaviour by your product ambassador.
So, he couldn't find a "sanctioned" trail so then decides to endanger the public.
I was actually interested in your product until I saw the video below.

SEC. 7.2.12. BICYCLE RIDING RESTRICTED.
To ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in violation of any restriction on riding bicycles on sidewalks except as authorized in Section 1007 of Division II. (96)*
(Amended by Ord. 287-08, File No. 081340, App. 12/5/2008; Ord. 231-09, File No. 090780, App. 11/10/2009)

https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/code...on/0-0-0-51615

Attachments area
Preview YouTube video He Crashed on Lombard Street, San Francisco...

He Crashed on Lombard Street, San Francisco...
Hi ...,We understand your concern. Drew and Remy take their safety precautions seriously. They spend a lot of time scouting the routes before filming their segments. That said, I will share this with our marketing and product team who support our athletes. Thank you for your feedback.

Dana

Cheers/Viele Grüße,
​​​​​​​
Old 05-21-23, 06:55 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
So in the time period after the guy doing a downhill strava segment killed a ped, so it's not never but unlikely.

scott s.
Old 05-22-23, 07:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

true, true. the vast majority of where they are riding are not sidewalks though. most are streets or mixed use paths. some are public stairways (the steps around russian hill and telegraph hill they bomb down) and that's DEFINITELY not kosher. the paths (and stairs) into the new park at francisco reservoir are off limits to bikes also - but they shouldn't be and they are not sidewalks. still some bad behavior, but 90% of those segments are completely legal/acceptable places to ride a bike. i ride many/most of them weekly. the thread title and video are a little misaligned.

i'm actually kind of curious now about the public stairs - while i can't imagine it's legal to ride a bike on them, many apartments/flats/condos/townhouses only open onto those stairs. i guess you just carry your bike up or down. https://www.sfstairways.com/stairways/
It's also what they do when they get to the bottom of the stairs which is extremely illegal and reckless. Watch the video between about 3:15 and 5:15. he's flying past a bunch of blind entrances onto the sidewalk, none of which could be properly scouted without posting someone at every doorway, and at one point actually startles a pedestrian by coming up behind him.