Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

seat post is stuck in seat tube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 04:31 PM
Fastfingaz

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts

basicly that's it ,,, bike is carbon fibre, Thomson elite seat post won't move up or down ,seat post is aluminum as far as I can tell with small grooves around it, I've been spraying it with WD-40, can't tell if it's penetrating , any body ever have this problem? any advice?,,,,,,, suggestions???,,, first day of working it,,,,
Old 05-07-15, 04:51 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
WD-40 is a very low end penetrating oil, there are much better products available out there in interweb land. The mechanics forum can solve this.
Old 05-07-15, 04:57 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 516 Times in 345 Posts
I have always tried sitting on the top tube facing rearward and using brute force twisting with seat attached. If that doesn't work maybe try another brute.
Old 05-07-15, 05:37 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I once had an Al seatpost weld itself into a CF frame. The guys as the LBS had to put the seatpost into a bench vise and use the frame itself as the lever. Took three guys and it destroyed the seatpost, but at least it was only a Bontrager. Good luck.
Old 05-07-15, 06:40 PM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by caloso
I once had an Al seatpost weld itself into a CF frame. The guys as the LBS had to put the seatpost into a bench vise and use the frame itself as the lever. Took three guys and it destroyed the seatpost, but at least it was only a Bontrager. Good luck.
OK then I'll look for a better fluid,right now I'm treating it with a lot of respect, I guess as I go I'll start with the Brute as much as I have a nd then I may have to seek out a bigger brute,I just don't want to damage the frame,,,,
Old 05-07-15, 06:47 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There are several threads on this subject in the Classic & Vintage forum, and there may be some ideas there you haven't tried.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-07-15, 07:13 PM
Fastfingaz

Originally Posted by Little Darwin
There are several threads on this subject in the Classic & Vintage forum, and there may be some ideas there you haven't tried.
Thanks lil Darwin ,I'll 'venture over there