Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Blood Pressure Fluxuations

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-21, 12:57 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

I've taken my BP every morning for a little over 6 years. I take it daily at the same time - about an hour after I wake up. Infrequently, I skip a day depending on circumstances. Today I took the Trike out for some exercise and realized I had forgotten to take my bP in the morning, so I decided to take it right after the ride - and it was 10 points lower on systolic and 6 points lower on diastolic. Hmmmmm. Anyone else experience lower BP after a ride? Is this common? It was 110/74 after the ride. TIA
Old 08-19-21, 01:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
My BP was like that while I was doing cardiac rehab. Come in the door, 105/80; do the first set of exercises, 90/70.

The rehab nurses thought I was weird.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-19-21, 01:15 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My BP is highest in the morning and lowest after a ride in the afternoon. It is higher if my pain levels are elevated. BP definitely varies.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-20-21, 04:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's normal for BP and HR to vary throughout the day and night. I was in nursing for years, checked zillions of BPs and HRs, often several times per shift for each patient. When I worked in hemodialysis we'd check some patients every 15 minutes, depending on their condition. It wasn't unusual for their BP to vary quite a bit. Hemodialysis is stressful, especially when removing excess fluid buildup. And even patients without significant illness or injury tend to exhibit higher BP in medical settings -- "white coat fever."

And my own BP and HR vary wildly throughout the day, due in part to an endocrine disorder. My heart rate can range from 55 bpm first thing in the morning to 100 bpm just walking out the door, especially if I've had coffee or other source of caffeine, and especially if I take Sudafed for sinus congestion.

I don't check my BP daily anymore, but over the past few years it's ranged from an unusually low 80/40 immediately after a moderate effort bike ride, to 200/100 during a migraine or bout with neck spasms. Twenty years ago a full sized SUV ran a light at highway speed and t-boned my compact car, cracking six vertebrae including my C1-C2. I've had chronic neck pain ever since and occasionally the spasms apparently put pressure on the blood vessels and nerves, causing my BP to spike. But usually it's around 120/70, very mundane normal range.
Old 08-20-21, 05:07 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
Perfectly normal for BP to drop after aerobic exercise.
Old 08-21-21, 01:22 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I have had HBP since I was 14 years old and medication since the. I am 60 and take 100 mg of Losartan. My BP is higher in early morning when I get up I take it. Varies from 145/80 to 130/80 but can be higher. If I sit and relax it usually falls I have terrible white coat syndrome. After a ride my BP is the lowest it will be like 115/65 and stay that way sometimes drops to 105.55. I feel it and if get up too fast it will cause me to be a bit woozy. Mine is all over the planet at times taken it for years. So far 43 years of running and riding do not give me any exemption from HBP. Funny because right now I am averaging 300 plus miles riding a week. I do think the cycling is good for the BP and keeps me from maybe taking even more rx's. My resting HR is at likes 38-40 and rarely can I ever get it past 145-150. I tend to train with HR around 113 bpm. I ride a decent pace too for an old guy. Keep track of your BP.