Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Capacity on old Shimano 600 Rear Derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 01:46 PM
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need to replace my rear cassette (as it has some broken teeth). I'm also trying to get a little lower gear inch bottom... without changing up to a triple up front.

I have a uniglide six cog cassette on the back with an arabesque shimano 600 RD (like the first attached image)...with a max capacity of 28T (which is my largest cog). I know I could upgrade to a hyperglide freehub, get a larger cassette and buy a new derailleur... but I like the look of the old one, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money.

I happened to find a Uniglide freehub in new condition on Ebay for $25 with a 32T large cog....
I know that is probably a little too large for my current derailleur (which has a 28T max, I believe)

Then, I found an old Shimano 600 for $15. (see second attachment). The arm looks a little longer then mine. Does anyone know if this can accomodate a 32T cog?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
91fa_12.jpg (38.1 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg
be3b_1.jpg (18.5 KB, 240 views)
Old 01-24-07, 02:07 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'm sure someone here will know the answer, and if not, you can try the Classic & Vintage forum. But, for what it's worth, I think the longer arm gives you more chain wrap, meaning you can probably get a smaller front chainring (most useful on a triple crankset) using the second RD pictured than the first. I think the capacity of the low rear gear is dependent on the length of the RD body, or rather the distance between the mounting bolt of the RD and bolt on the top jockey wheel. I'm not sure how you could measure it for capacity without mounting both RD and freewheel to check.
Old 01-24-07, 02:42 PM
anchojoe
chilihead

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just put 'em on and try it.
Old 01-24-07, 03:17 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
JunkYardBike is correct, the longer cage is to take up more chain slack (aka chain wrap capacity), meaning a derailleur with a longer cage can be used with a range of gears that is wider overall than a shorter cage derailleur can handle. The method for figuring your chain wrap requirement is: Number of largest chainring teeth minus number of smallest chainring teeth (whether it's a triple crank or double, doesn't matter) plus the number of largest cog teeth minus number of smallest cog teeth............As for largest cog capacity, I'd guess both of those derailleurs would work well with a 28t cog, max. The derailleur's upper jockey wheel (the guide wheel) should be adjusted with the derailleur's "B" screw so that there's a small gap between the jockey wheel and the largest cog when the derailleur is shifted into the lowest gear (largest cog, smallest chainring). The symptom for a deralleur that's beyond its large cog capacity is when the upper jockey wheel bumps into the large cog on the cluster even with the "B" screw completely tightened-
Old 09-15-21, 06:45 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Bikes: Apollo something, 1983 Bianchi Super, Specialized Road

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
This is my situation exactly, how did you make out with this?

I’ve got a Shimano 600 arabesque short cage (I think) with a 13-28 that I’d like to rebuild using Ultraglide sprockets and end up at 30 or 32. I think the short RD will go to 30, but not sure about 32. Any feedback on your project would be appreciated!
Old 09-15-21, 12:08 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Photo of the used item looks like a 600 GS (possibly technically model 6001, but the Disraeli Gears site lists that possible model number with a ? following which indicates the author is uncertain). The Disraeli Gears site says that model derailleur can support a 34T maximum rear cog and cites Sutherland's 6th Ed as source.

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...leur_6001.html

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-15-21 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Add info not present in original and correct wording and correct typos.
Old 09-15-21, 12:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Old 09-15-21, 01:50 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by Iride01

???
Old 09-15-21, 02:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
???
Check the date of the first post to this thread when the question was ask. If you were replying to the other member that implied they have a question, then you should have specified you were talking to them.

This is why zombie thread revival is a bad deal. No one knows whos question is being discussed or answered. And sometimes it just brings up old arguments. One of which is reviving old zombie threads. <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 09-15-21 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-15-21, 02:18 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by Iride01
Check the date of the first post to this thread when the question was ask. If you were replying to the other member that implied they have a question, then you should have specified you were talking to them.

This is why zombie thread revival is a bad deal. No one knows whos question is being discussed or answered. And sometimes it just brings up old arguments. One of which is reviving old zombie threads. <grin>
Point taken. I missed the OP date entirely.
Old 09-15-21, 02:38 PM
well biked

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I'll make a timeless comment: that Shimano 600 "Arabesque" RD is still beautiful, no matter how much time passes.
Likes For well biked:
Old 04-17-22, 03:24 AM
Astelen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ehi there do u know how to put it back on a bike? Findings troubles with a screw...
Old 04-17-22, 10:07 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Astelen
Ehi there do u know how to put it back on a bike? Findings troubles with a screw...
Could you be any more vague?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-18-22, 09:58 AM
Astelen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Could you be any more vague?
Lol I thought maybe someone has some pictures os tutorial to share with me? Because - spoiler allarm! - I’m not allowed to upload pictures yet 😀