Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Integrated Headset help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Integrated Headset help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 01:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Look up a Canadian postal code on the Internet, then check shipping from a US location to that Canadian postal code on eBay. The cost can be way higher than you'd expect. $30 to $40 USD wouldn't surprise me, even for a small package like a headset.

Now, add in the exchange rate ($1CAD = $0.73 USD). Assuming $40US for shipping/handling, a $207US item is now up to ($207 + 40) / 0.73 = $338+CAD. And we haven't even talked Canadian customs duties, which I understand are fairly high on some items. But even if the customs duties are only 10%, that brings the total for a $207 USD headset to about $372CAD - which is about what the OP mentioned for the lower end of his price range. And customs duties may be higher than 10%.
I cannot imagine you cannot get a CK headset from a Canadian Distributor I have certainly seen some shops in my search that are Canadian and prices are still not that high. Potentially ordering from the U.S. with duties and such would raise it up a bit but I would just get it in Canada.
Old 03-22-23, 02:19 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I cannot imagine you cannot get a CK headset from a Canadian Distributor I have certainly seen some shops in my search that are Canadian and prices are still not that high. Potentially ordering from the U.S. with duties and such would raise it up a bit but I would just get it in Canada.
He certainly can. I found a Canadian distributor in Toronto that has some for $225 CAD each. (Dunno if it's a model the OP can use or not, but they have some.)

Now, add S/H/insurance - which I understand is also pricey domestically in Canada. From the source I found, free shipping starts at orders of $500 CAD. So let's assume $25 CAD for domestic shipping (which I'd guess is low).

Now add Canadian Federal VAT and provincial sales tax. For purchases in Ontario, that "only" adds 13% (some provinces go up to 15% total). So add another $32.50 CAD. That brings the total to $282.50 CAD.

Wild card is customs. Don't know if that's a "pass thru" to the customer for online orders in Canada or included in the base price for items not made in Canada. So that might - or might not - add more.

Oh, and did I mention that the Canadian source I found only carries a very limited number of different CK headsets? If the OP wants something different, a US source - like ordering directly from CK - might be his only viable option.

Bottom line: we in the US don't generally realize how good we have it regarding ordering stuff online until you check out the added taxes/shipping/hassle/etc . . . in some other countries.

Last edited by Hondo6; 03-22-23 at 02:23 PM.
Likes For Hondo6: